PG Music Home
Posted By: Tano Music "Love Sublime" - 06/29/20 11:34 AM
"Love Sublime"

=======================

See you at our spot outside of town;
Don't come out until the sun goes down.

How I'd love to kiss you in the daylight;
Worried that I'll miss you 'less we play right.

We long to be free, where all can see,
To share the sun, the morning.

But what can we do--our love's taboo;
A glance may earn a warning.

Praise the time when secrets won't be needed.
Days of love when reason has succeeded.

How do we offend thee?
What misdeed is our crime?
A love that you label "unsightly"? --
For us, love sublime!

=====================
Built this up from the ground, didn't use a BIAB style
Used a few RT's for bass and guitar.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: "Love Sublime" - 06/29/20 01:11 PM
Tano,
You certainly got a way creating these outsider tunes smile
Good one! Arrangement is not over complicated, yet very tasteful. Listens well. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

I've read that you had some suggestions about vocal treatment.. Hope you do not find my question intruding. I listened to quite a few of your tunes.. Did you use the same microphone on most of them? There is a certain metallic character in vocals and I was just wondering if this is how you wanted it or it is a microphone effect. If it is not a trade secret, what microphone do you use?
Posted By: jannesan Re: "Love Sublime" - 06/30/20 11:38 AM
The lyrics and music walk wistfully hand in hand, perfect match! I really enjoy the light Latin groove. The melody has nice downward movement in the verses and then interesting upward movements in bridge parts. The piano melody parts are also very beautiful.

Janne
Posted By: Tano Music Re: "Love Sublime" - 07/01/20 02:08 PM
Misha and Janne, thanks for the nice comments, I really appreciate it.
Posted By: EdZ314 Re: "Love Sublime" - 07/01/20 07:15 PM
I like this. The bossa and latin feel to the backing track is very enticing. Good lyrics too, they hint at a story behind the song. The melody fits quite well. I wish the vocals were spaced a bit closer and evenly, but that's just my take.
Posted By: Tano Music Re: "Love Sublime" - 07/01/20 10:58 PM
Thanks Ed, for stopping in to take a listen.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: "Love Sublime" - 07/02/20 05:31 AM
Hi Tano,

You made a very nice Latin(ish) song.
And those lyrics! I enjoy lines like 'Praise the time when secrets won't be needed. Days of love when reason has succeeded'.

But I also have the same question as Misha asked about your mike or fx-settings on the vocal track. You have created a somewhat unique effect on the vocals. Or perhaps it is just your voice...
Let me know!

Stay safe,
Hans
Posted By: Tano Music Re: "Love Sublime" - 07/02/20 08:40 AM
Hi Hans...thanks...I'm really not that knowledgable about vocal processing, and I probably play around too much with my iZotopes Nectar choices to try to get a nice sound--then kind of throw my hands up and figure "well, that sounds good enough". Just not a strong focus for me, but I'm taking suggestions from the forum on how to improve it. Thanks again for listening.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: "Love Sublime" - 07/02/20 03:51 PM
Cool song!! I always get a Michael Franks vibe from you tunes... he's a favorite of mine! Very nicely done!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: "Love Sublime" - 07/02/20 07:27 PM
Very nice Latin Jazz sound here! It's the perfect vehicle to carry your message in the song! Thanks, T
Posted By: Tano Music Re: "Love Sublime" - 07/02/20 11:03 PM
Thank you Greg, thanks Torrey! I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: "Love Sublime" - 07/09/20 09:11 PM
Excellent lyrics: What an opening line! "See you at our spot outside of town" --that really brings you in at the start. Sounds like a bit of forbidden love and rendezvous.

I really dig the instrumentation.

I read your comment about using Nectar 3 and saying that it's good enough. That's me too! I can't hear the frequencies everybody else hears with auditory nerve damage, so I have to trust Izotope for the most part.
Posted By: Al-David Re: "Love Sublime" - 07/10/20 02:01 AM
Good Early Morning ...

Latin Jazz, Smooth Jazz and Smooth R&B are mine and Di's favorite genres. And this checks all the boxes for excellent Latin Jazz. Sure did enjoy my listen ... soft and easy on the ears and soul. Thanks for three minutes, or so, of great entertainment.

Best to you ... and please be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: "Love Sublime" - 07/10/20 07:46 AM
Excellent tune especially your arrangement, instrumental choices and production. Enjoyed my listen.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: "Love Sublime" - 07/10/20 10:32 AM
A perfect intro leads into a sensational delivery.

How absolutely pleasant.

The breaks are perfect, intriguing, creating just the right amount of tension and resolution.

Extraordinarily good.
Posted By: Tano Music Re: "Love Sublime" - 07/10/20 02:58 PM
Ezekiel, Alan, Charlie, VideoTrack...thanks for the comments, and I appreciate you listening in.
Posted By: MarioD Re: "Love Sublime" - 07/10/20 03:09 PM
This is really a good song. Love the "But what can we do--our love's taboo; A glance may earn a warning." line. Great lyrics! Super Latin rhythm section. Your vocal is strong but IMHO a little reverb would take it over the top. YMMV
Posted By: Tano Music Re: "Love Sublime" - 07/10/20 05:50 PM
Muchas Gracias, Mario--appreciate the listen and comments!
Posted By: dcuny Re: "Love Sublime" - 07/10/20 09:09 PM
Good write, nice Latin feel.

Nicely done, pleasant and easy song with a deeper message.
Posted By: rayc Re: "Love Sublime" - 07/11/20 08:31 AM
There' is almost a very slight ring modulation halo around the vocal.
That sort of thing can occur as an artefact of background noise scrubbing and other processing like digital tuning.
The string arrangement is nice.
Posted By: Tano Music Re: "Love Sublime" - 07/11/20 08:39 PM
Ray, David… Thanks for listening, I appreciate the comments, and thanks David for your extensive feedback on vocal processing… Very helpful!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: "Love Sublime" - 07/13/20 05:52 PM
"But what can we do--our love's taboo; A glance may earn a warning"

That line is worth the price of admission!

Not gonna parse it out. We enjoyed it all ... the write, the vocal and, yeah, that Latin groove.

Enjoyed it!

J&B

PS Regarding Nectar presets. Over the years we tweaked two of them and use one or the
other 90% of the time. You'll find what you like. For your voice I suggest starting with the "soulful
and natural" preset unless you've already been there.
Posted By: Tano Music Re: "Love Sublime" - 07/13/20 06:38 PM
J&B.. Thanks for your feedback... I especially appreciate your ideas on vocal processing. I fuss too much with nectar, trying to get a different sound for each song.. Bored with the sound of my voice, I guess!
Posted By: Will Josef Re: "Love Sublime" - 07/13/20 08:44 PM
Nice track. I like the latin feel to it. I think it wouldn't hurt if the vocal had a bit more "wet" texture to it. I guess that is a question about personal preferences. smile

Thanks for sharing!
Will
Posted By: Tano Music Re: "Love Sublime" - 07/13/20 10:30 PM
Thanks for listening and the feedback, Will.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: "Love Sublime" - 07/14/20 06:02 AM
Good song, nice groove. Only suggestion is I think the vocal needs more reverb. Enjoyed the listen!
Posted By: Tano Music Re: "Love Sublime" - 07/14/20 07:09 AM
Thanks for the suggestion Dave.
© PG Music Forums