PG Music Home
Posted By: MarioD The Cannoli Cowboy - 07/10/20 04:40 PM
The Cannoli Cowboy

Some have said that many of my songs belong in a movie so I thought I would write this one in hopes that someone will make a movie called a cannoli western and use this as the theme song wink grin

BiaB style = 12/8 Slow Blues
Tempo 55

I deleted the drums and replaced them with some GrooveMonkee MIDI loops. Drum sounds = Steven Slate's SSD5 - preset - Classic Ballad.
FX - Presonus compression

Piano - Presonus - XT Presence - preset - Acoustic Piano
Guitar - Presonus - XT Presence - preset - Steel Str Gtr Full
Strings - Kontakt - Solid State Strings
Bass - Ample Bass - preset Bass J - FX Toontrack - AZ Mix - preset chorus bass
All of the above were slightly modified to better fit the song.
All but the bass have a touch of Raum reverb.

I am playing my SX Tele copy through Amplitube - preset Ambient SR - FX - PSP spring reverb and Presonus Pro EQ

As always all comments are welcomed.

PS - This is just a little fun thing that I just had to do blush
Posted By: floyd jane Re: The Cannoli Cowboy - 07/10/20 05:31 PM
Mario,

Everything in that sounds good. Those Presonus sounds must be new - nothing in my version sounds that good...I'm not sure I even have an acoustic guitar sound...

Cool playing.

An enjoyable piece, for sure.

fj
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Cannoli Cowboy - 07/10/20 08:02 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Mario,

Everything in that sounds good. Those Presonus sounds must be new - nothing in my version sounds that good...I'm not sure I even have an acoustic guitar sound...

Cool playing.

An enjoyable piece, for sure.

fj

Thanx Floyd.

I am using Studio One Pro 4.6.2. There is a new version out now but I haven't updated to version 5 yet.
Posted By: Gary Weder Re: The Cannoli Cowboy - 07/10/20 09:24 PM
Leave the gun Take the cannoli.

If they ever do a remake Mario , they just have to use your fabulous
music.
Posted By: rayc Re: The Cannoli Cowboy - 07/11/20 08:28 AM
Everything sounds cool and in the right place except the kick drum. It's all tin foil batter tone disguising the thud. If you could EQ some of the batter /click I reckon you'd be home n hosed.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: The Cannoli Cowboy - 07/11/20 09:13 AM
Very nice, Mario! Love the tone on the tele.
Posted By: musician17 Re: The Cannoli Cowboy - 07/11/20 09:21 AM
I love this! I know by now that I can rely on you to always produce top-notch stuff - no exception here. Enjoyed it and it somehow relaxed me this dreary, wet London Saturday afternoon. Thank you :-)
Posted By: Scott C Re: The Cannoli Cowboy - 07/11/20 11:41 AM
Very cool Mario. Some very interesting tones. I just upgraded to Studio One 5. I have not tried the Sphere yet. Can turn out to be very expensive over time. Well done
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: The Cannoli Cowboy - 07/11/20 12:10 PM
OK, I had to search out the definition of Cannoli, (an Italian pastry) so you must have been thinking along the lines of a Clint Eastwood 'spaghetti western' theme. wink

I had a much easier time envisioning Randolph Scott walking down a small town main street with your tune as the background music.

You've put together another top shelf midi song with all the right elements. Enjoyed my listen and looking forward to the movie.
Posted By: cubanpete Re: The Cannoli Cowboy - 07/11/20 12:55 PM
Hey Mario, great tune! Love the guitar, definitely Cannoli western (love too the Cannolies). I was waiting for some harmonica arpeggios in the background though.
Very well done.

Cheers

Mike B.
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Cannoli Cowboy - 07/11/20 04:59 PM
Originally Posted By: Gary Weder
Leave the gun Take the cannoli.

If they ever do a remake Mario , they just have to use your fabulous
music.

Thanx Gary. Have cannoli will travel!
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Cannoli Cowboy - 07/11/20 05:01 PM
Originally Posted By: rayc
Everything sounds cool and in the right place except the kick drum. It's all tin foil batter tone disguising the thud. If you could EQ some of the batter /click I reckon you'd be home n hosed.

Hi Ray, I didn't detect a bad kick drum sound in my original. Maybe the Soundcloud conversion messed it up. Either way I will check it out and thanx for pointing that out.
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Cannoli Cowboy - 07/11/20 05:02 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Very nice, Mario! Love the tone on the tele.

Thanx. That Tele does have a nice tone to it. Plus it was very inexpensive!
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Cannoli Cowboy - 07/11/20 05:03 PM
Originally Posted By: musician17
I love this! I know by now that I can rely on you to always produce top-notch stuff - no exception here. Enjoyed it and it somehow relaxed me this dreary, wet London Saturday afternoon. Thank you :-)

Thanx so much James for the kind review.
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Cannoli Cowboy - 07/11/20 05:06 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Very cool Mario. Some very interesting tones. I just upgraded to Studio One 5. I have not tried the Sphere yet. Can turn out to be very expensive over time. Well done

Thanx for listening and commenting Scott.

I have yet to get the upgrade. What I want to know about the Sphere is that if we drop out do we get to keep what we already have? If not the just upgrading each year would be a better option for me.
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Cannoli Cowboy - 07/11/20 05:08 PM
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
OK, I had to search out the definition of Cannoli, (an Italian pastry) so you must have been thinking along the lines of a Clint Eastwood 'spaghetti western' theme. wink

I had a much easier time envisioning Randolph Scott walking down a small town main street with your tune as the background music.

You've put together another top shelf midi song with all the right elements. Enjoyed my listen and looking forward to the movie.

Thanx Charlie.

I'm surprised that you didn't know what a Cannoli was! They are very popular up here, even for people whom are not of Italian decent.
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Cannoli Cowboy - 07/11/20 05:10 PM
Originally Posted By: cubanpete
Hey Mario, great tune! Love the guitar, definitely Cannoli western (love too the Cannolies). I was waiting for some harmonica arpeggios in the background though.
Very well done.

Cheers

Mike B.

Thanx Mike for this listening and commenting.

I definitely love Cannolies.

I actually thought about a harmonica but I didn't want to clutter up the background. Maybe I should have added one.
Posted By: Leon1 Re: The Cannoli Cowboy - 07/13/20 12:22 AM
Hi Mario
Atmospheric and well played, as always. (Love a good cannoli myself).
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Cannoli Cowboy - 07/13/20 10:40 AM
Originally Posted By: Leon1
Hi Mario
Regards,
Leon

Thanx Leon for listening and commenting. I really love a good Cannoli also.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: The Cannoli Cowboy - 07/13/20 09:02 PM
Mario,
Fun stuff! I like all but the drums. Not the beat, but the patch. Not sure if Drummica is still around. It used to be free from Sennheiser. Thank you for sharing!

P.S. Here is a poster for the film.

Misha.

Attached picture canboy.jpg
Posted By: jford Re: The Cannoli Cowboy - 07/14/20 07:51 AM
Very nice and cool sound. And who doesn't like a good Cannoli? When we lived in Virginia, my wife and I would sometimes get a craving and have to go out and find some.

And this is timely in light of Ennio Morricone's recent passing.
Posted By: ROG Re: The Cannoli Cowboy - 07/14/20 09:24 AM
Hi Mario,

Yeah, definitely movie soundtrack material.

Very atmospheric and I like the way it builds in from the intro.

You know I'm a Tele fan anyway and that SX sounds fabulous.

Great stuff.

ROG.
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: The Cannoli Cowboy - 07/14/20 11:44 AM
Great moody piece, I can hear this in a Coen brothers film. Nice!
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Cannoli Cowboy - 07/14/20 01:05 PM
Really great sounding guitar, it creates a vivid and mysterious mood over the enjoyable bluesy chording. Funnily I was waiting for the song go back to the base chord, because there the sound is at its richest.

Janne
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: The Cannoli Cowboy - 07/14/20 04:06 PM
"This is just a little fun thing that I just had to do"

Well, we are glad you did. Very cool twist on the western theme.

Speaking of cinematic ... this sounds like it would be a nice track for one of HBO's
Westworld episodes.

As always how you put your songs together is a mystery to us and, again, as always we enjoyed the outcome.

Well done!

J&B
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: The Cannoli Cowboy - 07/14/20 07:42 PM
Cannoli vs spaghetti western.... I'll go with cannoli. that stuff is good and so is the tune. That's some gnarly tone.

Cool stuff
Posted By: PeterF Re: The Cannoli Cowboy - 07/14/20 08:53 PM
Mario

Very evocative and atmospheric. Nicely played and composed.

Excellent.

Peter
Posted By: dcuny Re: The Cannoli Cowboy - 07/14/20 09:24 PM
Fun listen! smile
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Cannoli Cowboy - 07/15/20 08:35 PM
Originally Posted By: Leon1
Hi Mario
Regards,
Leon

Thanx for much for listening and commenting fellow Cannoli lover.
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Cannoli Cowboy - 07/15/20 08:38 PM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Mario,
Fun stuff! I like all but the drums. Not the beat, but the patch. Not sure if Drummica is still around. It used to be free from Sennheiser. Thank you for sharing!

P.S. Here is a poster for the film.

Misha.

Great poster Misha. I did have a couple of other not so favorable drum responses so I will have to look into what I did. Thanx for the comment.
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Cannoli Cowboy - 07/15/20 08:40 PM
Originally Posted By: jford
Very nice and cool sound. And who doesn't like a good Cannoli? When we lived in Virginia, my wife and I would sometimes get a craving and have to go out and find some.

And this is timely in light of Ennio Morricone's recent passing.

Thanx John. Are there no Cannolis available where you now live? That would be a real shame!
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Cannoli Cowboy - 07/15/20 08:43 PM
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Mario,

Yeah, definitely movie soundtrack material.

Very atmospheric and I like the way it builds in from the intro.

You know I'm a Tele fan anyway and that SX sounds fabulous.

Great stuff.

ROG.

Thanx Rog. I have a friend who brought over his $3,000 USD Fender Tele and I put mine up against it. After the shoot out he said that he just wasted $2,880 USD. Yes mine only cost $120.
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Cannoli Cowboy - 07/15/20 08:44 PM
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Great moody piece, I can hear this in a Coen brothers film. Nice!

Thanx so much for taking the time and listening and commenting. I greatly appreciate it.
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Cannoli Cowboy - 07/15/20 08:45 PM
Originally Posted By: jannesan
Really great sounding guitar, it creates a vivid and mysterious mood over the enjoyable bluesy chording. Funnily I was waiting for the song go back to the base chord, because there the sound is at its richest.

Janne

Thanx Janne for listening and commenting.
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Cannoli Cowboy - 07/15/20 08:47 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
"This is just a little fun thing that I just had to do"

Well, we are glad you did. Very cool twist on the western theme.

Speaking of cinematic ... this sounds like it would be a nice track for one of HBO's
Westworld episodes.

As always how you put your songs together is a mystery to us and, again, as always we enjoyed the outcome.

Well done!

J&B

Thanx so much for those extremely nice comments.
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Cannoli Cowboy - 07/15/20 08:48 PM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Cannoli vs spaghetti western.... I'll go with cannoli. that stuff is good and so is the tune. That's some gnarly tone.

Cool stuff

Thanx Herb. Actually I'll take some spaghetti for dinner with a Cannoli for desert. Been there-done that!
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Cannoli Cowboy - 07/15/20 08:49 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Mario

Very evocative and atmospheric. Nicely played and composed.

Excellent.

Peter

Thanx so much Peter.
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Cannoli Cowboy - 07/15/20 08:49 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Fun listen! smile

Thanx Dave!
Posted By: jford Re: The Cannoli Cowboy - 07/15/20 08:59 PM
Mario, we've tried Cannoli a few times at the Italian restaurants we've been to (not the chain restaurants, but the mom and pop restaurants), but it just hasn't been as good. So we just don't order it (and we don't have that many decent Italian restaurants to go to, so there's that). When you bit into it and the crust is just soggy, and the filling has a chemical taste, well that's just wrong.

When we lived in Northern Virginia, there was a restaurant that we frequented called Giorgio's (which was Italian and Greek, and the owners were of Italian and Greek heritage). I miss that greatly. We could get great Cannoli's, as well as great Baklava (which also seems to be hit or miss down here in the Florida panhandle).

I suspect it's why we now do most of our own cooking and only go out occasionally (mainly for Gulf seafood).
Posted By: Will Josef Re: The Cannoli Cowboy - 07/19/20 10:32 PM
Mr. Mario "Leone", You have done well again!

If you can help me finance the movie I will definitely use this song as the theme and direct the movie myself. I am sure Clint Eastwood will be ready for a final spaghetti western when he hear this tune. smile

Will
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: The Cannoli Cowboy - 07/20/20 02:54 PM
Ah, the magical mind of Mario. Great Western idea, man. Hope someone picks it up. Just increase the tempo for the shorts, and this theme fits them all. Well done!
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Cannoli Cowboy - 07/20/20 09:34 PM
Originally Posted By: Will Josef
Mr. Mario "Leone", You have done well again!

If you can help me finance the movie I will definitely use this song as the theme and direct the movie myself. I am sure Clint Eastwood will be ready for a final spaghetti western when he hear this tune. smile

Will

Thanx Will for listening and commenting.

PS - the check is in the mail!
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Cannoli Cowboy - 07/20/20 09:34 PM
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Ah, the magical mind of Mario. Great Western idea, man. Hope someone picks it up. Just increase the tempo for the shorts, and this theme fits them all. Well done!

Thanx so much!
Posted By: Angelomusic Re: The Cannoli Cowboy - 09/08/20 11:26 AM
Very "atmospheric" and "ambiantic" (sorry if I make up words, I'm not a native English speaker) tune! The guitar is awesome and create this eerie vibe which is flawless.
Could definitely be a film score (for a Lynch movie for instance but not only).
Great job!
Posted By: Derochette Re: The Cannoli Cowboy - 09/21/20 04:50 PM
Hello MarioD,

Nice progression with a guitar sound a little in the background which takes its place with this beautiful well-arranged reverb side. It pleases. Good work.

Best regard

Dero13

alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: The Cannoli Cowboy - 09/21/20 05:40 PM
Nice playing. Good use of the band. Excellent guitar work Good production.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: The Cannoli Cowboy - 09/21/20 05:57 PM
Hi Mario,

I am glad I heard your very nice song. I couldn't miss it though. I noticed it draws a lot of attention and is in the top 10 for some time. When that leadguitar came in, I immediatly had that image from 'Once upon a time in the West' before my eyes. But that vanished when your song continues. Only that 'Western' feeling stayed. So that makes it a very cool, unique, song.

I have nothing to complain about. It has the right feeling for Westerns!

Hans
Posted By: dani48 Re: The Cannoli Cowboy - 09/23/20 02:39 AM
Hi, Mario, ol´chap !:))

I love this cowboy
of yours ! without
doubt it will go into
a cannoliwestern
sooner or later !

Just the pace for
an ol´ cannoli eatin´
dust covered sheriff !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: The Cannoli Cowboy - 09/23/20 11:05 AM
Nice work on this - as it's been mentioned, very atmospheric and reminiscent of a film score. I enjoyed my listen a lot. Gives off a really suspenseful, dark kinda vibe that caught my attention. Thanks for sharing!
© PG Music Forums