PG Music Home
Posted By: bloc-head My First Family - 01/16/22 01:29 PM
An original song I wrote for my Mom, after my Dad died.

My First Family

I played my old Gibson L-00, and sang lead & harmony...

Biab Realtracks used in this production:
~926:Bass, Acoustic, Jazz Waltz Sw 085
~1700:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm CountryWaltz Sw 085
JazzBrushesWaltz: a: Brushes b: Snare, Ride
~1453:Guitar, Acoustic, Soloist GypsyJazzLatinGonzalo Ev 165
~1124:Fiddle, Background CountryWaltz Sw 085
Posted By: Mark Hayes Re: My First Family - 01/16/22 01:35 PM
I haven't even finished listening to this yet, but I have to say, you have a wonderful Loudon Wainright III vibe here. Partly this is because of the topic (some of his own songs are about his parents and death) but man, you have that sound, and I mean this in a very good way.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: My First Family - 01/16/22 04:55 PM
bloc-head,

Nice to meet the family.

Interesting write. And an interesting choice of RTs. The GypsyJazz soloist is a unique choice.
Vocals are nice. The overall package has a feel that could have come out of an old Victrola...cool.
I don't hear the LWIII vibe that Mark noted (I have a ton of his records - meaning LWIII, not Mark) - I got more of a Tom Lehrer or Mark Russell vibe... good company any way you slice it.

You've covered a lot of different styles in your posts so far. Looking forward to what comes next...

Cool stuff.

fj
Posted By: bloc-head Re: My First Family - 01/16/22 07:03 PM
Originally Posted By: Mark Hayes
I haven't even finished listening to this yet, but I have to say, you have a wonderful Loudon Wainright III vibe here. Partly this is because of the topic (some of his own songs are about his parents and death) but man, you have that sound, and I mean this in a very good way.
I'm sure I've probably heard some of Mr. Wainright's music sometime in the past, but I just can't remember. I will take it as a compliment. Thank you Mark.

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
bloc-head,

Nice to meet the family.

Interesting write. And an interesting choice of RTs. The GypsyJazz soloist is a unique choice.
Vocals are nice. The overall package has a feel that could have come out of an old Victrola...cool.
I don't hear the LWIII vibe that Mark noted (I have a ton of his records - meaning LWIII, not Mark) - I got more of a Tom Lehrer or Mark Russell vibe... good company any way you slice it.

You've covered a lot of different styles in your posts so far. Looking forward to what comes next...

Cool stuff.

fj
Thanks Floyd, I'll have to look up those guys you mentioned, and listen to their music.
I played this song for a friend, and she asked about the Island mentioned in the 1st verse...
I explained, that I was a Navy brat, born in Pearl Harbor...
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: My First Family - 01/17/22 11:23 AM
nice retro vibe comes across to me.
i agree with the victrola comment.
your very talented.

best.
om
Posted By: bloc-head Re: My First Family - 01/17/22 08:36 PM
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
nice retro vibe comes across to me.
i agree with the victrola comment.
your very talented.

best.
om
well, I don't own a Victrola, but I have listened to lot of old Django & Stéphane Grappelli records... Thanks OM.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: My First Family - 01/17/22 10:23 PM
bloc-head,

This has a nice open raw sound to it that really creates a unique vibe! Love the story telling in the verses! Super job on the vocals! Everything sounds really good! I would be interested in hearing that Gypsy Jazz soloist track played at half speed in this to see if it would work or not. Sometimes the results are pleasant and sometimes not. Thanks, Torrey

Edit: I meant to say guitar soloist
Posted By: dcuny Re: My First Family - 01/18/22 06:00 AM
I'm with the other commenters - nice sound, good vocals, good write.

I also agree that it's got a very retro sound, and it's a good match for the lyrics.

Nice work! smile
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: My First Family - 01/18/22 12:02 PM
We had a dear friend and bandmate who was a great gypsy jazz fiddler amongst other genres.
So we have some familiarity with the feel.

As everybody has already stated everything is in the pocket.
The write, the band, the vocal and the mix all work for us.

Well done!

J&B
Posted By: bloc-head Re: My First Family - 01/18/22 04:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
bloc-head,

This has a nice open raw sound to it that really creates a unique vibe! Love the story telling in the verses! Super job on the vocals! Everything sounds really good! I would be interested in hearing that Gypsy Jazz soloist track played at half speed in this to see if it would work or not. Sometimes the results are pleasant and sometimes not. Thanks, Torrey

Edit: I meant to say guitar soloist
Thanks for the great feedback T... Yes the Gypsy solo licks on this, are very busy, but on the other hand, Django Reinhardt was way over the top with just a thumb & two fingers... a wild man... This PGM session player is a fine student of the master, Django... but, I should revisit this, and edit out some of the hot-licks. to better suit the song... Your comments & advice are always welcome, Torrey.
Posted By: rayc Re: My First Family - 01/18/22 07:01 PM
A terrific song and performances by you.
I think the two "jazz" elements get in the way of the song's vibe. They are excellent things but seem to have little or no relationship with the slower, gently rolling melody and backing.
I can see the point of a shock solo - like Jimmy Page's flurry in Joe Cocker's version Bye Bye Blackbird...it divides the song into two parts and has significant shock value one of the solos in this excellent song could've done that but they recur and the shock value is lost.
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: My First Family - 01/18/22 09:43 PM
I really liked this, I don't know what to compare it to, but it was quality through and through. Story was excellent, vocals good and the music interesting. The melody was superb. Another great effort from you!

As far as the guitar soloist, did you try RTs 1462, 1463 or 1464? They are waltz tracks and swing groove, more suited to your piece. The bpm is too fast, but you could experiment with that. Like Torrey says, sometimes half-time works, sometimes not. RT 1453 doesn't really work to my ears, but it wasn't horrible.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: My First Family - 01/19/22 01:26 AM
bloc-head,
Such an interesting performance! Very original. Nice tribute and great story telling.
Enjoyed it. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: bloc-head Re: My First Family - 01/19/22 03:03 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
I'm with the other commenters - nice sound, good vocals, good write.

I also agree that it's got a very retro sound, and it's a good match for the lyrics.

Nice work! smile
What can I say, I'm a retro kind of guy... I play old vintage guitars & basses thru old tweed Fender tube amps... Even my main keyboard is at least 30 years old...
grin;-) so I'm Ok with retro... as always I appreciate you listening, and your thoughtful feedback.

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
We had a dear friend and bandmate who was a great gypsy jazz fiddler amongst other genres.
So we have some familiarity with the feel.

As everybody has already stated everything is in the pocket.
The write, the band, the vocal and the mix all work for us.

Well done!

J&B
I know you miss your friend & bandmate, and his Gypsy jazz influence... I too, have lost many bandmate friends, it's hard, but we carry on... Thanks so much for your friendly comments, and feedback... J&B are the best...
Posted By: PROJECT M Re: My First Family - 01/19/22 03:13 PM
Hi bloc-head
Really good song
Very varied and emotional
Great singing
Good work
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Posted By: bloc-head Re: My First Family - 01/19/22 10:02 PM
Originally Posted By: rayc
A terrific song and performances by you.
I think the two "jazz" elements get in the way of the song's vibe. They are excellent things but seem to have little or no relationship with the slower, gently rolling melody and backing.
I can see the point of a shock solo - like Jimmy Page's flurry in Joe Cocker's version Bye Bye Blackbird...it divides the song into two parts and has significant shock value one of the solos in this excellent song could've done that but there recur and the shock value is lost.
Thanks for listening rayc, and thanks for the feedback.

Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
I really liked this, I don't know what to compare it to, but it was quality through and through. Story was excellent, vocals good and the music interesting. The melody was superb. Another great effort from you!

As far as the guitar soloist, did you try RTs 1462, 1463 or 1464? They are waltz tracks and swing groove, more suited to your piece. The bpm is too fast, but you could experiment with that. Like Torrey says, sometimes half-time works, sometimes not. RT 1453 doesn't really work to my ears, but it wasn't horrible.
So glad you liked this, and I appreciate your comments. Mighty glad it wasn't horrible...
Posted By: firesong Re: My First Family - 01/19/22 10:13 PM
This is so cool!...have you ever seen the movie "A Prairie Home Companion"? This piece reminds me of the charm of that movie....the storytelling is so homespun and nostalgic with the perfect music compliment...man I really enjoyed this...I'm not sure you're a bloc-head after all smile
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: My First Family - 01/19/22 11:19 PM
Hi Bloc-Head,

Thoroughly enjoyed your song - well done.

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: bloc-head Re: My First Family - 01/20/22 10:41 AM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
bloc-head,
Such an interesting performance! Very original. Nice tribute and great story telling.
Enjoyed it. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Thank you Misha, I am really glad you enjoyed it.

Originally Posted By: PROJECT M
Hi bloc-head
Really good song
Very varied and emotional
Great singing
Good work
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Thanks Andi, and Many greetings to you too... ;-)
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: My First Family - 01/20/22 11:00 AM
Wow, a great story well-told. I bet your mom and brother loved it!! Well sung and the perfect choices for the band, bloc-head. Man, that Gibson sings beautifully in your hands. Well done all around. Very entertaining.
Posted By: edshaw Re: My First Family - 01/20/22 11:19 AM
Really good. Great story telling, too.
Posted By: bloc-head Re: My First Family - 01/20/22 07:52 PM
Originally Posted By: firesong
This is so cool!...have you ever seen the movie "A Prairie Home Companion"? This piece reminds me of the charm of that movie....the storytelling is so homespun and nostalgic with the perfect music compliment...man I really enjoyed this...I'm not sure you're a bloc-head after all smile
Haven't seen the movie, but I loved to listen to the radio show... they always had wonderful skits, stories & music... a really "down home" vibe... I'm so happy you enjoyed my little song. I love your music.

Originally Posted By: NigelSpiers
Hi Bloc-Head,
Thoroughly enjoyed your song - well done.
Best Regards
Nigel
Thanks again Nigel... I'm glad you enjoyed this.

Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Wow, a great story well-told. I bet your mom and brother loved it!! Well sung and the perfect choices for the band, bloc-head. Man, that Gibson sings beautifully in your hands. Well done all around. Very entertaining.
Thank you Marty... Mom loved the song, but sadly, my brother passed away soon after our Dad died, and he never got to hear it... Yes, that ol' Gibson sounds sweet. She's a peach... To be clear, I only played her on the background chords. (I didn't play the guitar solos on this song). I really appreciate your feedback, and the music y'all make.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: My First Family - 01/20/22 11:45 PM
A very unique sound. Your vocal is easy to listen to. I like the harmony at the end.
Posted By: bloc-head Re: My First Family - 01/21/22 11:12 AM
Originally Posted By: edshaw
Really good. Great story telling, too.

Thanks for listening Ed... and the nice comments.

Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
A very unique sound. Your vocal is easy to listen to. I like the harmony at the end.
Thank you Jim, I'm really happy you liked my song. Thanks again for listening, and the great feedback.
Posted By: PeterF Re: My First Family - 01/21/22 06:24 PM
Nice work deserves all the praise it's received.

Excellent vocal and story telling.

Nice use of RT's including the gypsy jazz guitar.

Very nice.

Peter
Posted By: Scott C Re: My First Family - 01/23/22 11:04 PM
Super lyric and loved the vocal delivery. Backtrack was very cool. Guitar was cool. Well done
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: My First Family - 01/25/22 12:52 AM
Great write, quite a story teller you are!

Band is perfect, vocals are strong.

Love it!

moto
Posted By: RnAM Re: My First Family - 01/25/22 11:50 AM
Yes, that retro sound!
Lovely music and great vocals.
And such a good idea, to describe your family this way.
Your mother will love it!

Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: bloc-head Re: My First Family - 01/25/22 01:44 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Nice work deserves all the praise it's received.

Excellent vocal and story telling.
Nice use of RT's including the gypsy jazz guitar.
Very nice.
Peter
Thanks Peter, your words are very nice to hear.

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Super lyric and loved the vocal delivery. Backtrack was very cool. Guitar was cool. Well done

Thanks for your feedback Scott, and for listening.

Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
Great write, quite a story teller you are!

Band is perfect, vocals are strong.
Love it!
moto
Thanks Moto... Much appreciated.
Posted By: bloc-head Re: My First Family - 01/25/22 02:02 PM
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Yes, that retro sound!
Lovely music and great vocals.
And such a good idea, to describe your family this way.
Your mother will love it!

Rob and Anne-Marie

Thanks... I wrote & recorded this song awhile back, and Mom got to hear it, before she died... and yes, I believe she loved it.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: My First Family - 01/25/22 02:24 PM

Man, this is really great!

Would be great for a movie song.
Posted By: bloc-head Re: My First Family - 01/25/22 05:31 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Man, this is really great!

Would be great for a movie song.

Thanks David... I once played a bit part in a movie, but I'd be too embarrassed to tell anyone the film's title... not because of my acting... it was just a really bad film...
Posted By: Angelomusic Re: My First Family - 02/07/22 11:07 PM
Aside from being very touching, you got really creative here blending styles and elements I would have not thought of. I like the nostalgia which comes from this song. I have not doubt your father has been pleased with this one.
Posted By: bloc-head Re: My First Family - 02/08/22 11:54 AM
Originally Posted By: Angelomusic
Aside from being very touching, you got really creative here blending styles and elements I would have not thought of. I like the nostalgia which comes from this song. I have not doubt your father has been pleased with this one.

Yes, I was feeling very nostalgic while writing this song.
Sadly, my Father and Brother both passed before I recorded it.
I think they would have been pleased... My Mom was.
Thanks for your kind and thoughtful comments.
© PG Music Forums