PG Music Home
Posted By: BabuMusic Cabin Rooftop Dance - 10/19/22 03:48 PM
Cabin Rooftop Dance on Soundclound
Cabin Rooftop Dance on YouTube

Our son Matt, his dog Sydney, & I were camping just outside the middle of nowhere. I brought a guitar and BiaB with a laptop, and wrote two songs while they were out hiking. There was something crawling on the roof, so this was the song. (The other one is still incomplete.) The original Style was CABIN, but I had to change it. [The cabin in the beginning of the video was where we stayed.] Dave Bell added some compelling guitar throughout, and Janice Merritt sent me the perfect high harmony track. A big thanks to Bud Merrritt for processing her track into a drop-in-ready track. I did all the other voices and the bass, and also added a guitar part in the Bridge. The abrupt tempo changes were intended to give a bit of a rubato feeling into the choruses. You know it's your suggestions and encouragement that keep me keeping on.

4 bar intro, 88 bar chorus, from bar 5 to bar 92. Repeat x1 chorus
Song is saved with bar changes for Tempo,Volume Changes,

Style is _VINYL45.STY (Vinyl 45 New Orleans Rock n Roll)
StringsCustom Synth is Hi-Q 001 01 Piano, Acoustic, Grand Sforzando

RealTracks in style: ~535:Bass, Electric, Pop Sw 085
RealTracks in style: 3901:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm RockNRollSoul128 Sw 085
MIDI SuperTracks in song: 1890:Piano, Solo-Accompaniment CountrySwingJohn Sw 120
RealTracks in song: 2427:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm RockabillySlowSwingBrent Sw 085
RealDrums in style:BluesRock128^3-a:SideStick, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

Dave Bell - guitar
Janice Merritt - harmony
me - bass & vocals

Cabin Rooftop Dance

There's something crawling on the cabin rooftop. I hear it walking on the tiles.
Since late at night it's been clawing on it nonstop, and got us all so riled.
We heard it creeping when the full moon shone brightly, and wind was howling through.
The owners called and said it showed up nightly. We asked them what to do. They said,

"Watch and learn the cabin rooftop and the critter in a trance.
Watch and learn the Cabin Rooftop Dance."

Then we heard it crawling down the siding and knocking on the door.
We all looked scared, and no one gave up hiding from certain blood and gore.
Suddenly it burst into the room and gazed in all our eyes.
We all froze still and still it seemed so friendly and made us realize. He said,

"I learned this on the cabin rooftop while up there killing ants.
Watch and learn the Cabin Rooftop Dance.
Every little movement has a message all its own. The ants don't stand a chance.
Here is something special that you can take home. The Cabin Rooftop Dance."

Watch and learn the cabin rooftop and the critter in a trance.
Slide and stomp across the shingles, and do away with ants.

+Special thanks to Bud Merritt and Dave Bell for their help in mixing.
Posted By: RnAM Re: Cabin Rooftop Dance - 10/19/22 04:32 PM
Wow, this really is a great song!
Nice difference between verse and chorus.
And quite a creepy video!!!!
Even Dave's guitar solo sounds creepy (or is that because you see those creepy images passing by? crazy)
Also nice backing vocals by Janet.
Cool production!

Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Cabin Rooftop Dance - 10/19/22 04:34 PM
I just LOVE how the verse makes you expect a completely different chorus, and then this catchy chorus comes in.
I like it. A lot smile
Posted By: MarioD Re: Cabin Rooftop Dance - 10/19/22 04:56 PM
Perfect for a Halloween party!

I liked the verse and chorus changes...brilliant!

Super vocal and lyrics...great mix.

The video fit perfectly to the song.

Dave's guitar was the icing on the cake!
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Cabin Rooftop Dance - 10/19/22 06:39 PM
Marty and the gang,

What a production! The most creative piece I ever heard from you! There's so much going on it, that it's hard to take it all in! All of you gave exceptionally good performances! Love the change-up of the flow between the verses and chorus! It's a cool song that will get many listens! Marty, your vocal on this is one of your best ever! Kudos to Janice and Dave also!

Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Cabin Rooftop Dance - 10/19/22 07:58 PM
Marty, you are a true multimedia renaissance man and overall creative guy. This was so very well done. And Dave is like an ace session guitarist who always knows how to play the right part. I wish I had your video skills, I am stuck in slideshow mode. A real treat that fit the season perfectly. Great job!
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Cabin Rooftop Dance - 10/19/22 08:56 PM
Marty and Crew,
Super fun!! Love tunes like this. Spirit lifting. A+ creative work everybody! Could well be used in a theater production, but a show of it's own. Marvelous, multi dimensional composition, tasteful arrangement, fantastic vocals & instrumentals, fx, the whole package. Exceptional team work and perfect timing. Congrats on this gem! Thank you for sharing.
Misha.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Cabin Rooftop Dance - 10/20/22 12:54 AM
Well... that was unexpected!

And again at the chorus. Wowf! laugh

Of course, I had to watch the video, just to pick up any tips on stamping out ants. wink

Super creative, and well executed by all involved.

Fun listen!
Posted By: rayc Re: Cabin Rooftop Dance - 10/20/22 05:30 AM
Well done Marty, a fun season song complete with foley and frighteners.
There were couple of spots where the slight whistling S was emphasized by the reverb but that's small beer.
Those harmonies are double plus good and Bell rings a little neck for the gruesome solo.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Cabin Rooftop Dance - 10/20/22 06:42 AM
Hi Marty and crew,

A wonderful song and, like Mario wrote, perfect for Haloween.
What imagination you had while camping with your son!

I like the tempo changes in the song and how the chorus developed.
And the harmonies in the chorus are very nice!
Of course I cannot unmentio the guitar solo from Dave, one word: Great!!!

Loved it, Marty,
Hans
Posted By: PROJECT M Re: Cabin Rooftop Dance - 10/20/22 07:17 AM
A big praise to all involved
Excellent creepy song ;-)
Excellent song structure
Marty, your vocals fit the song perfectly
Janice and Dave of course also do a great job again
And together with the video it gets really creepy
I liked it very very much
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Cabin Rooftop Dance - 10/20/22 09:07 AM
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Even Dave's guitar solo sounds creepy (or is that because you see those creepy images passing by? crazy)
Cool production!

Rob and Anne-Marie

Yeah, Dave, is quite amazing at interpreting just the perfect tone and phrases for every genre. A true studio guy. Janice will always make everything sound better. Thanks for your wonderful comment, Rob and Anne-Marie.

Originally Posted By: B.D.Thomas
I just LOVE how the verse makes you expect a completely different chorus, and then this catchy chorus comes in.
I like it. A lot smile

Nice catch, BD. The chords that came to me for the chorus were just too happy to follow the sense of doom in the verse. So the story changed. Thanks also for your comment on YT.

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Perfect for a Halloween party!

I liked the verse and chorus changes...brilliant!

Super vocal and lyrics...great mix.

The video fit perfectly to the song.

Dave's guitar was the icing on the cake!

Thanks, Mario. Glad you liked it.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Cabin Rooftop Dance - 10/20/22 05:40 PM
Marty,

HAHAHAHAHA!

Loved it! Terrific video.

A clever write. Excellent production. Solid mix.

Needless to say, everyone held up their end.
Dave's Guitar, Janice's harmonies.
Oooooh that Bass!

One of your best!

fj
Posted By: PeterF Re: Cabin Rooftop Dance - 10/20/22 07:04 PM
Marty & team

That was a lot of fun. loved the highly entertaining video.

Excellent "creepy" vocal and some inventive "horror" evoking guitar by Dave.

Good catchy chorus and you and Janice blend nicely. Always a plus to get Janice on board.

Great stuff.

Peter
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Cabin Rooftop Dance - 10/20/22 07:22 PM
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Cool production!

Rob and Anne-Marie

This was a lot of fun. Thanks for mentioning my small part!

Janice
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Cabin Rooftop Dance - 10/21/22 10:21 AM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Marty and the gang,

What a production! The most creative piece I ever heard from you! There's so much going on it, that it's hard to take it all in! All of you gave exceptionally good performances! Love the change-up of the flow between the verses and chorus! It's a cool song that will get many listens! Marty, your vocal on this is one of your best ever! Kudos to Janice and Dave also!

Thanks, Torrey

Ah, thanks for such encouragement, Torrey. Almost every note of every instrument has either a volume or pan envelope, and often both.

Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Marty, you are a true multimedia renaissance man and overall creative guy. This was so very well done. And Dave is like an ace session guitarist who always knows how to play the right part. I wish I had your video skills, I am stuck in slideshow mode. A real treat that fit the season perfectly. Great job!

Thanks, Bob. I keep trying to come up with an instrumental that would be worthy of your playing, and one day soon I'll come begging. You can't hide.

Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Marty and Crew,
Super fun!! Love tunes like this. Spirit lifting. A+ creative work everybody! Could well be used in a theater production, but a show of it's own. Marvelous, multi dimensional composition, tasteful arrangement, fantastic vocals & instrumentals, fx, the whole package. Exceptional team work and perfect timing. Congrats on this gem! Thank you for sharing.
Misha.

Oh, Misha. I'm so glad you're here and gave it a listen. I thought of you right from the beginning on this one. You are an inspiration.
Posted By: ChicagoBob Re: Cabin Rooftop Dance - 10/21/22 10:59 AM
The seasonal timing is perfect-- you should pitch this to sync libraries. The chorus is an ear worm
Posted By: jannesan Re: Cabin Rooftop Dance - 10/21/22 01:11 PM
Creepy! Those tempo changes make this really feel like a horror movie, only some high pitch kid vocals are missing, but your different singing styles and knocking on the door give enough shivers laugh And that's before seeing the video... The chorus is hilarious in a nightmarish way. The band, Dave, Janice and you work tightly together. Creative and fun. Great work with the video, clips are selected cleverly to support the story.

Janne
Posted By: Leon1 Re: Cabin Rooftop Dance - 10/22/22 12:55 AM
That was loads of fun, Marty. We have possums dancing on our roof some nights. Heavy-footed critters.
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: vicarn Re: Cabin Rooftop Dance - 10/22/22 07:04 AM
Hi Marty.
I love the “ants” and “dance” rhyme.
Wonderfully imaginative song but I can’t stand the suspense. What the &@#% was it.

Vic
Posted By: Derochette Re: Cabin Rooftop Dance - 10/22/22 05:11 PM
Hi BabuMusic,

Camping is good for your music creations. It's fun and engaging. Well done. I apprecied.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: Al-David Re: Cabin Rooftop Dance - 10/22/22 06:31 PM
Hi Marty ...

I listened to this a couple of days ago and just thgis afternoon have had time to listen and enjoy. And enjoy it I did! That is such ands entertaining and fabulous song. I samiled all the way through it - sometimes laughed. I alkways love your music - you're a master music everything!

Alan
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Cabin Rooftop Dance - 10/22/22 07:42 PM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Marty and the gang,

Thanks, Torrey

Originally Posted By: rayc
Well done Marty, a fun season song complete with foley and frighteners.
There were couple of spots where the slight whistling S was emphasized by the reverb but that's small beer.
Those harmonies are double plus good and Bell rings a little neck for the gruesome solo.

Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Marty and crew,

A wonderful song and, like Mario wrote, perfect for Haloween.
What imagination you had while camping with your son!

I like the tempo changes in the song and how the chorus developed.
And the harmonies in the chorus are very nice!
Of course I cannot unmentio the guitar solo from Dave, one word: Great!!!

Loved it, Marty,
Hans

Originally Posted By: PROJECT M
A big praise to all involved
Excellent creepy song ;-)
Excellent song structure
Marty, your vocals fit the song perfectly
Janice and Dave of course also do a great job again
And together with the video it gets really creepy
I liked it very very much
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

Thanks Guys for the harmony mention!

Janice
Posted By: Scott C Re: Cabin Rooftop Dance - 10/24/22 05:02 PM
Awesome tune Marty. Really clever lyrics. Super voca. Daves guitar was perfect. Loved the tempo change. Gave the song some very cool dynamics. Excellent video. Well done...
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Cabin Rooftop Dance - 10/24/22 07:24 PM

Whoah!

Such a sweet groovy sound and vibe.

Nicely done ladies and gents!

smile
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Cabin Rooftop Dance - 10/25/22 08:25 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Marty,

HAHAHAHAHA!

Oooooh that Bass!

One of your best!

fj

Thanks, Floyd.

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Marty & team

Good catchy chorus and you and Janice blend nicely. Always a plus to get Janice on board.

Great stuff.

Peter

Thanks, Peter. horror evoking. I like that. Yes, having Janice onboard will always right the ship, and I hear you have a new one with her, too. SO cool.

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud

This was a lot of fun. Thanks for mentioning my small part!

Janice

Haha. Small, huh? I know you could do this part one-and-done, but the result is anything but small, Janice.

Originally Posted By: ChicagoBob
The seasonal timing is perfect-- you should pitch this to sync libraries. The chorus is an ear worm

Thanks, Bob. It wasn't originally intended as a Halloween song, but that became the working title.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Cabin Rooftop Dance - 10/26/22 09:12 AM
Originally Posted By: jannesan
Creepy! Those tempo changes make this really feel like a horror movie, only some high pitch kid vocals are missing, but your different singing styles and knocking on the door give enough shivers laugh And that's before seeing the video... The chorus is hilarious in a nightmarish way. The band, Dave, Janice and you work tightly together. Creative and fun. Great work with the video, clips are selected cleverly to support the story.

Janne

Thanks for all of that, Janne. Thanks for also watching the video.

Originally Posted By: Leon1
That was loads of fun, Marty. We have possums dancing on our roof some nights. Heavy-footed critters.
Regards,
Leon

Thanks, Leon. So you know first-hand what it's like. I've had squirrels find their way into the attic. Live and let live and all, but we put a stop to that.

Originally Posted By: vicarn
Hi Marty.
I love the “ants” and “dance” rhyme.
Wonderfully imaginative song but I can’t stand the suspense. What the &@#% was it.

Vic

I know, right? It's just like Hollywood to not give it a name, except critter. Thanks, Vic!

Originally Posted By: Derochette
Hi BabuMusic,

Camping is good for your music creations. It's fun and engaging. Well done. I apprecied.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash

Thanks, Derochette. Inspiration comes from many sources. I thought of your often while putting this together. You could have done this whole piece without words or vocals and told the whole story even better.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Cabin Rooftop Dance - 10/26/22 02:03 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Marty,

HAHAHAHAHA!

Oooooh that Bass!

One of your best!

fj

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Marty & team

Great stuff.

Peter

Thanks guys for the harmony comments!

Janice
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Cabin Rooftop Dance - 10/26/22 08:05 PM
What a song!!!! And perfectly timed for the season!!! LOVE the sound of your vocal and the mix!!! AND, of course, Dave's wonderful guitar work!! This should be a Halloween HIT!!! Take care. Greg

P.S. Loved the video too!!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Cabin Rooftop Dance - 10/27/22 09:24 AM
Originally Posted By: jannesan

Janne

Thanks for mentioning my little part in this big production!

Janice
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Cabin Rooftop Dance - 10/28/22 04:40 PM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Marty ...

I listened to this a couple of days ago and just thgis afternoon have had time to listen and enjoy. And enjoy it I did! That is such ands entertaining and fabulous song. I samiled all the way through it - sometimes laughed. I alkways love your music - you're a master music everything!

Alan

Haha, Thanks so much, Alan. I read your comment a couple days ago, too, and am just now getting to thank you, and say right back atcha, man.

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Awesome tune Marty. Really clever lyrics. Super voca. Daves guitar was perfect. Loved the tempo change. Gave the song some very cool dynamics. Excellent video. Well done...

Thanks, Scott. That tempo change made it kind of a random thing for coming back in with the vocals. Janice seems to have had no problem, but I had a couple do-overs.

Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Whoah!

smile

Thanks, David!

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
What a song!!!! And perfectly timed for the season!!! LOVE the sound of your vocal and the mix!!! AND, of course, Dave's wonderful guitar work!! This should be a Halloween HIT!!! Take care. Greg

P.S. Loved the video too!!

Thanks, Greg. In this world of music moguls, hits are made after the song is distributed. Last night I listened to some of your songs and Torrey's new album. Man, this place has all the hits I'd ever want to hear and they keep coming. You take care, too, Greg.
Posted By: firesong Re: Cabin Rooftop Dance - 11/01/22 12:38 PM
Marty...another gem from BabuMusic Inc...timed perfectly for a Halloween release...I really thought the mix and it's texture was exceptional on this one...the vocals fit so nicely in the mix and Dave's solo was...well...a Dave Bell solo (need I say more!)...great mix of Janice's harmony...funny, innovative and so well crafted and performed by all involved...you are the prince of wonderfully clever music!!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Cabin Rooftop Dance - 11/02/22 09:37 AM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Whoah!

smile

Originally Posted By: firesong
Marty...another gem from BabuMusic Inc...timed perfectly for a Halloween release...I really thought the mix and it's texture was exceptional on this one...the vocals fit so nicely in the mix and Dave's solo was...well...a Dave Bell solo (need I say more!)...great mix of Janice's harmony...funny, innovative and so well crafted and performed by all involved...you are the prince of wonderfully clever music!!

Thanks guys! It was a pleasure to add a small bit to such a cool song.

Janice
Posted By: Brad Williams Re: Cabin Rooftop Dance - 11/15/22 09:21 PM
Now, that was fun Marty! I love your stuff. Funny or serious, it's all so original. This would be a great one for a camp out or Halloween! The overall production was so good, it must have been difficult mixing in everybody's talent, but you sure did it right!
© PG Music Forums