PG Music Home
Posted By: Robertkc The Impossible Blue (Spirit Level) - 12/09/22 06:29 PM
Paintbox colours have some strange and imaginative names; this song began from noticing that and led to a love song I posted years back (deleted to make room on SC)and now to this, which could be a love song to our better natures.
There`s a fair helping of my philosophizing here which may not be to all tastes, but stay tuned; Scott contributes some of his best slide guitar throughout.
Our last song of the year:

The Impossible Blue

Rbass 3119
Rdrums AmericanaToms
Rpiano 2542
Rguitar 2935
RStrings 2335
GaelicVoices vst

The Impossible Blue

grounded freighter tilting in the bay
refugees through moonlight wade
sacrifice their lodestone
feather on feather bone by bone
to give a child wings made new
in the impossible blue

a blind girl`s rainbow songs the deaf man hears
every breath to still hold dear
gratitude their lodestone
building wings to carry them through
to the impossible blue

Elysium Green or Burnt Umber Dream
the canvas has no colour you must choose
for sky where all flags fly
in your painting box find
Impossible Blue

we live our lives on this asylum earth
every madness seen inside us first
atonement our lodestone
building wings to carry us through
to the impossible blue
building wings to carry us through
the impossible blue

© Robert Cordrey Sept. 2022
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: The Impossible Blue (Spirit Level) - 12/09/22 06:43 PM
I like your song, even though I don't quite understand the lyrics, but that's probably because I'm not a native speaker.
But there are some phrases that I really like and understand, and I really like the melody.
Posted By: dcuny Re: The Impossible Blue (Spirit Level) - 12/10/22 01:04 AM
Hi, Robert.

Pretty song! You've got a unique, building a song from fragments much like your "feather by feather/bone by bone" lyric.

Very poetic and touching.
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Impossible Blue (Spirit Level) - 12/11/22 12:28 PM
Poetic, impossible blue is a nice metaphor... for sky where all flags fly. Beautiful melody and chords, enjoyable vocals and the trustworthy spirit through Scott's guitar. Hope to hear more Spirit Level music in 2023 smile

Janne
Posted By: RnAM Re: The Impossible Blue (Spirit Level) - 12/11/22 01:16 PM
Beautiful, especially the harmonies.
Scott's guitar is awesome.

Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: PROJECT M Re: The Impossible Blue (Spirit Level) - 12/11/22 01:29 PM
Hi Robert and Scott
Great song you have recorded there
I really like the melody
You sing the song with a lot of feeling
And Scott creates just as much feeling with his excellent guitar work
A very nice collaboration
Wish you a Merry Christmas and a healthy Happy New Year
Andi ;-)
Posted By: Scott C Re: The Impossible Blue (Spirit Level) - 12/11/22 11:40 PM
Thanks BD and David for checking out the song. Really glad you liked it
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: The Impossible Blue (Spirit Level) - 12/12/22 02:39 AM
Wonderful words, amazing imagery. A true poet. Guitar woven beautifully. Great work.
Posted By: musician17 Re: The Impossible Blue (Spirit Level) - 12/12/22 04:02 AM
WOW.

"a blind girl`s rainbow songs the deaf man hears"

Thank you for sharing this one. Incredible writing (lyrically and musically), incredibly sensitive singing. Scott's guitar playing suits this song perfectly, which is the sign of a master.

One of your very best.
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: The Impossible Blue (Spirit Level) - 12/12/22 05:47 AM
Nice work Sir.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: The Impossible Blue (Spirit Level) - 12/12/22 07:45 AM
Excellent poetry + passionate vocal + great guitar = Spirit Level wink

Nicely done you two!
Posted By: Birchwood Re: The Impossible Blue (Spirit Level) - 12/12/22 11:25 AM
Hi Spirit level,

What a very beautiful song!
Dave wrote it down mathematically, but as a huge compliment
and I can't add anything to that.

I needed Google on the lyrics, but from what I could understand it was just very nice.
But the way you pronounced the word "Earth" in Asylum Earth was very, uh... expressive!
And Scott, you had played a wonderful solo. I liked how you started the outro. Very nice dynamic you released.

So, I bet we will hear much more from you the next year!

Merry Christmas,
Hans
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: The Impossible Blue (Spirit Level) - 12/12/22 11:50 AM
Even the name "paintbox colours" is an imaginative one. Speaking of colorful imagination, this song is an excellent example. I like that Robert '--if you stay tuned passed the philosophizing, you'll hear some great guitar.' I may not understand your philosophy veiled so esoterically in these outstanding lyrics (as you always write), but I know I am in total agreement with you, Robert. I'm also totally agree with the impact Scott brings to it. What a perfect voice he sings on 6 strings. Speaking of singing, dang, you sound terrific on this, and the harmonies are outstanding.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: The Impossible Blue (Spirit Level) - 12/12/22 01:52 PM
Originally Posted By: B.D.Thomas
I like your song, even though I don't quite understand the lyrics, but that's probably because I'm not a native speaker.
But there are some phrases that I really like and understand, and I really like the melody.

Thank you,B.D. I don`t know what Google translate would do with lyrics, but I`m glad you understood some anyway and appreciate your listen.

Originally Posted By: dcuny
Hi, Robert.

Pretty song! You've got a unique, building a song from fragments much like your "feather by feather/bone by bone" lyric.

Very poetic and touching.

Thanks,David!

Originally Posted By: jannesan
Poetic, impossible blue is a nice metaphor... for sky where all flags fly. Beautiful melody and chords, enjoyable vocals and the trustworthy spirit through Scott's guitar. Hope to hear more Spirit Level music in 2023 smile

Janne

Janne,
We seem to be working 2 or 3 songs ahead now so looks like you`ll get your wish for more SL next year.
Thankyou for your support!

Originally Posted By: RnAM
Beautiful, especially the harmonies.
Scott's guitar is awesome.

Rob and Anne-Marie

Thanks Rob & Anne-Marie... I have worked a bit on harmonies ( with the help of Biab harmony generator!).

Originally Posted By: PROJECT M
Hi Robert and Scott
Great song you have recorded there
I really like the melody
You sing the song with a lot of feeling
And Scott creates just as much feeling with his excellent guitar work
A very nice collaboration
Wish you a Merry Christmas and a healthy Happy New Year
Andi ;-)

Andi,
Those are very kind comments;thank you and Merry Christmas to you too!

Robert
Posted By: David Snyder Re: The Impossible Blue (Spirit Level) - 12/12/22 04:10 PM

This is really beautiful Robert.

Great lyrics, music, mix and singing.

Loved it!
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: The Impossible Blue (Spirit Level) - 12/14/22 01:10 PM
Robert and Scott

"we live our lives on this asylum earth
every madness seen inside us first" Great lines!

I don't remember hearing this before, but your resurrection of the tune is justified! Lots of deep lyrics that paint wonderful word pictures! Good job Scott! Slide parts are hard to do without a lot of extra noise, but you got it done! Good job guys!

Thanks, T
Posted By: Robertkc Re: The Impossible Blue (Spirit Level) - 12/14/22 02:33 PM
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Wonderful words, amazing imagery. A true poet. Guitar woven beautifully. Great work.

Tunemonger,
Thank you very much!

Originally Posted By: musician17
WOW.

"a blind girl`s rainbow songs the deaf man hears"

Thank you for sharing this one. Incredible writing (lyrically and musically), incredibly sensitive singing. Scott's guitar playing suits this song perfectly, which is the sign of a master.

One of your very best.

That`s very kind, James; maybe I should point out this isn`t a rewrite of the original song of same name, but an all new song sharing the same title.
I agree Scott delivers some fine guitar lines here.

Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Nice work Sir.

Thanks for listening, Rob

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Excellent poetry + passionate vocal + great guitar = Spirit Level wink

Nicely done you two!

Dave,
Your formula for SL is a keeper; thank you!

Robert
Posted By: Derochette Re: The Impossible Blue (Spirit Level) - 12/14/22 05:30 PM
Robertkc

Very sweet and gripping song. The orchestration is pleasant and the lyrics well written. Well done.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: floyd jane Re: The Impossible Blue (Spirit Level) - 12/14/22 06:39 PM
Robert & Scott,

Poetic. Good write.
Nice BAND.
Good vocal.
Nice guitar, Scott.

fj
Posted By: tommyad Re: The Impossible Blue (Spirit Level) - 12/14/22 07:01 PM
The chord changes are fascinating. The lyrics are dreamlike and stream of consciousness. Scott's slide work presents the perfect compliment to the atmospheric mood. Good work. I liked it, Tom
Posted By: Deej56 Re: The Impossible Blue (Spirit Level) - 12/14/22 07:44 PM
Robert (and Scott):

Very poetic write set to some pretty music. Love the harmonies here, Robert—very well done and artfully mixed. “A blind girl’s rainbow songs the deaf man hears”—wow, what a great line. Just a lovely tune, brought home by Scott’s terrific slide guitar solo. Excellent!

Happy Holidays, gents!

Deej
A beautiful song ..it’s a real tapestry of words and music. It reminded me of Don Mc Lean’s Vincent and all the incredible imagery. Well done..
Regards, Dermot
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: The Impossible Blue (Spirit Level) - 12/14/22 11:06 PM
SL,
Sweet tune.
Robert, your lyrics are a pleasure to get lost in. Excellent composition and vocals! Strings work very well. Neat slide guitar from Scott! Clear mix & easy listen. Thank you for sharing.
Misha.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: The Impossible Blue (Spirit Level) - 12/15/22 09:16 PM
Love the sound of Spirit Level......you guys were born to make music together!!! Very nice !!!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Robertkc Re: The Impossible Blue (Spirit Level) - 12/17/22 03:03 PM
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Spirit level,

What a very beautiful song!
Dave wrote it down mathematically, but as a huge compliment
and I can't add anything to that.

I needed Google on the lyrics, but from what I could understand it was just very nice.
But the way you pronounced the word "Earth" in Asylum Earth was very, uh... expressive!
And Scott, you had played a wonderful solo. I liked how you started the outro. Very nice dynamic you released.

So, I bet we will hear much more from you the next year!

Merry Christmas,
Hans

Hans,
I appreciate that you continue to listen to Spirit Level despite having to Google my lyrics!
Thanks for all the positives you found in this song.

Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Even the name "paintbox colours" is an imaginative one. Speaking of colorful imagination, this song is an excellent example. I like that Robert '--if you stay tuned passed the philosophizing, you'll hear some great guitar.' I may not understand your philosophy veiled so esoterically in these outstanding lyrics (as you always write), but I know I am in total agreement with you, Robert. I'm also totally agree with the impact Scott brings to it. What a perfect voice he sings on 6 strings. Speaking of singing, dang, you sound terrific on this, and the harmonies are outstanding.

That`s very kind, Marty-yes, Scott really got into the mood of my esoteric write here!

Originally Posted By: David Snyder

This is really beautiful Robert.

Great lyrics, music, mix and singing.

Loved it!

Thanks very much,David!

Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Robert and Scott

"we live our lives on this asylum earth
every madness seen inside us first" Great lines!

I don't remember hearing this before, but your resurrection of the tune is justified! Lots of deep lyrics that paint wonderful word pictures! Good job Scott! Slide parts are hard to do without a lot of extra noise, but you got it done! Good job guys!

Thanks, T

Torrey,
As mentioned this isn`t a revisit of the original song, but a new song of the same name. Glad you liked it- thank you for commenting!

Originally Posted By: Derochette
Robertkc

Very sweet and gripping song. The orchestration is pleasant and the lyrics well written. Well done.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash

Thank you,Derochette.

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Robert & Scott,

Poetic. Good write.
Nice BAND.
Good vocal.
Nice guitar, Scott.

fj

Thanks for listening, Floyd.

Originally Posted By: tommyad
The chord changes are fascinating. The lyrics are dreamlike and stream of consciousness. Scott's slide work presents the perfect compliment to the atmospheric mood. Good work. I liked it, Tom

Tom,
We appreciate your listen and comments.

Robert
Posted By: Scott C Re: The Impossible Blue (Spirit Level) - 12/19/22 11:28 PM
Thanks everyone for checking out the song. Really appreciate the positive reviews. So glad you liked the song.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: The Impossible Blue (Spirit Level) - 12/23/22 06:33 PM
“grounded freighter tilting in the bay
in the impossible blue”

Great lyric and we enjoyed your philosophizing. smile

As always Scott's work and your choice of tracks well support the melody and lyric.

And we always enjoy a nice open mix. Excellent soundstage.

Happy holidays and best to you and yours!

J&B
Posted By: Scott C Re: The Impossible Blue (Spirit Level) - 12/27/22 06:46 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
“grounded freighter tilting in the bay
in the impossible blue”

Great lyric and we enjoyed your philosophizing. smile

As always Scott's work and your choice of tracks well support the melody and lyric.

And we always enjoy a nice open mix. Excellent soundstage.

Happy holidays and best to you and yours!

J&B

Thanks Janice and Bud. Glad you liked the song. Seasons Greeting to you as well
Your lyrics are always good, but this has become my favorite. The "Elysium Green" stanza is the highlight for me. Instrumentation is quite appropriate with Scott's guitar matching the mood of the lyrics.
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Impossible Blue (Spirit Level) - 12/30/22 09:48 PM
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger

I totally agree and couldn't have said it any better

Outstanding lyrics, slide guitar, and vocal mixed to perfection
© PG Music Forums