PG Music Home
Posted By: Tommyc Smooth Jazz - 04/14/11 12:54 PM
I wish there were more RT's for smooth jazz so you could make a whole CD without sounding repetitious. I like what is there ,but please at least a few more choices for keyboard and bass players. No need for real track variations changing only the fx of the keyboard and not the licks. I think most people can add their own chorus and reverb to suit their own taste .
Posted By: mal12345 Re: Smooth Jazz - 07/09/11 11:34 PM
Exactly what I want too Tommy.
Hopefully in BB 2012...
Posted By: Tommyc Re: Smooth Jazz - 07/19/11 11:40 AM
Please !
Posted By: Tommyc Re: Smooth Jazz - 07/27/11 12:24 PM
Purdy PLEASE with sugar on it !
Posted By: Tommyc Re: Smooth Jazz - 09/13/11 08:12 PM
More Smooth Jazz Please !
Posted By: mal12345 Re: Smooth Jazz - 10/27/11 08:41 PM
Being positive by nature I think PG is listening to us and BB2012 will bring us lots of new smooth jazz grooves :-)
Posted By: J. Larry Re: Smooth Jazz - 10/28/11 03:41 AM
Just listening to many of the smooth jazz stations on the internet, the weather channel, and elsewhere, one can quickly get a good idea of the many styles, variations, tempos, etc. used in this type of music. I'd like to see more of these styles, as well.
Posted By: Tommyc Re: Smooth Jazz - 10/29/11 11:48 AM
Please , and Thank You in advance !
Posted By: David Simmons Re: Smooth Jazz - 12/06/11 04:11 PM
It would be nice to have a complete Smooth Jazz Christmas selection.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Smooth Jazz - 12/09/11 02:39 PM
David, could you give some examples of artists and songs?

I've been using RealTracks for several years to make some great Christmas song backing tracks that I perform to. The jazz waltz tunes are especially good. My stuff is usually up-tempo, though.
Posted By: Ryszard Re: Smooth Jazz - 12/09/11 03:09 PM
Quote:

. . . could you give some examples of artists and songs?

I think I know what he's talking about. It's just been a while since I've listened to the radio. The names are almost at the tip of my tongue . . . C'mon, Matt, you know the names, too.

Somewhere in storage I've got a fantastic album of smooth jazz Christmas music recorded by some Nashville Christian session musicians, by which I mean they're from one of the Christian labels up there. Absent finding the tape* itself I can't remember the title or label, so hope that would be enough to go on. Prolly not; the thing is likely 15 or more years old. I'll be sure to post it if I find it. It would be a perfect example.

Since we're on the subject of Christmas, some MANNHEIM STEAMROLLER MIDI STYLES WOULD BE NICE. (Unless they already exist, which is entirely possible.)

*Yeah, you heard me. Polyvinyl chloride on two little reels in a box. Kay-sette.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Smooth Jazz - 12/09/11 03:32 PM
Yes, I can think of some names. But that info is not for me; it really helps PG Music to give specific examples. When I have requested styles, I got results and it is partly because I left nothing to chance.
Posted By: J. Larry Re: Smooth Jazz - 12/10/11 05:12 PM
One Christmas CD I've got by Nashville musicians is "Sentimental Season". Very tasteful instrumentals. I think the piano guy is David Huntsinger. Also, anyone heard of Beegie Adair on piano or Denis Solee on horns? I wouldn't call their music smooth jazz (the funky kind), but they sure can swing.
Posted By: jcspro40 Re: Smooth Jazz - 09/13/12 01:56 AM
OK, just wanted to bring this back up, since it has been 9 months...

I would REALLY like to see some more Smooth Jazz / Adult Contemporary Real Tracks in the vein of...

Acoustic Alchemy

Airborne

Boney James

Craig Chaquico

Euge Groove

Fattburger

Kaori Kobayashi

Lee Ritenour

Mindi Abair

Pieces Of A Dream

Urban Jazz Coalition

etc etc

These should include new Real Drums also, since what is available out of all the fantastic Real Drums WOULD work, but the feel is off...

Anyway, just wanted to bring this up once again, the poor Smooth Jazz stuff is getting lonely beside all the new stuff!!! LOL
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Smooth Jazz - 09/13/12 10:59 PM
+1

That's a nice list.

I haven't heard of the Urban Jazz Coalition, nor Kaori Kobayashi. Have to check them out.

Some artists I would think are in a similar vein to those mentioned above are:

Richard Elliot

Rick Braun

Norman Brown

Steve Cole

Jeff Lorber

some Yellowjackets stuff
Posted By: jcspro40 Re: Smooth Jazz - 09/14/12 07:12 PM
I guess we are even, I have not heard of Steve Cole, so there is a new one to look up!

And as bad as I hate to admit it, I am liking Kaori a little more than Mindi these days.

The Urban Jazz Coalition is one group that slipped under the radar for years when I was out looking at SJ stuff, so when I find out about them I get a surprise that they are local boys from Columbus, OH...too cool!

I think you will like them both Matt.....
Posted By: Tommyc Re: Smooth Jazz - 09/15/12 03:52 PM
I love Steve Cole's Funky Jazz Party CD!
Posted By: jcspro40 Re: Smooth Jazz - 09/16/12 02:41 AM
Just got to listen to a few tracks from Steve Cole, very nice, thanks for the tip!
Posted By: Tommyc Re: Smooth Jazz - 10/14/12 08:49 PM
More Smooth Jazz Please! (Gratuitous Bump)
Posted By: MikeK Re: Smooth Jazz - 10/25/12 06:11 PM
+1
Posted By: dsw67 Re: Smooth Jazz - 11/14/12 06:44 PM
Chuck Loeb

Larry Carlton

Lee Ritenour
Posted By: mal12345 Re: Smooth Jazz - 12/10/12 05:06 AM
Quote:

Chuck Loeb

Larry Carlton

Lee Ritenour

+1 for that
Listen to George Benson, Chuck Leob, Foreplay, Acoustic Alchemy, Norman Brown, Weather Report, Rippingtons.

More SMOOTH JAZZ GROOVES please
Amen!
A BIG +1 to all mentioned.
Gratuitous Bump! smile
Posted By: jcspro40 Re: Smooth Jazz - 07/07/13 06:28 AM
I was out looking for some Smooth Jazz "Backing Tracks" to practice guitar to, since I have wore out the styles that I have in BiaB, and you would be surprised at how many places are selling BiaB "Smooth Jazz" backing tracks! grin

Places like Guitar Playback & Guitar Maps have a mix of BiaB and stock sounding Midi tracks. Both supply scale tabs that you can use to jam over the tracks with, and Guitar Maps has a ton of free-b's on You Tube & their site to check out & jam over. wink

The best I have found so far is from Coffee Break Grooves, tho at $16 a pop grabbing the collection is pretty pricey...I would rather invest in a new version of BiaB with more Smooth Jazz-Funk-Fusion Realtracks! cool
Posted By: jcspro40 Re: Smooth Jazz - 08/13/13 02:46 AM
Bump....http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/images/graemlins/default/cool.gif
Posted By: Tommyc Re: Smooth Jazz - 08/20/13 12:39 AM
Originally Posted By: jcspro40
More Smooth Jazz-Funk-Fusion Realtracks! cool

Yes!
© PG Music Forums