PG Music Home
Posted By: nadasonic "light music" style? - 08/09/11 02:06 PM
Hi, First time posting..

I'm just wondering if anyone knows if there is a BIAB style for this kind of music that I adore!

It's a sort of lively 2-step orchestral style (I bet there's a name for it, but I don't know what it is!) that's heard a lot in show-tunes and stuff from 'the golden age of light music' 1940s - 1950s

I'm linking two examples of the style here. The first, "Star Parade" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSbEdvGyW1A) sounds like a TV studio Big Band, the second, "Happy-Go-Lively" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOZu3NiBjBk) sounds more like a 1940's light music radio orchestra..

Any help would be most appreciated - even if you just know what the style is called, that would be a start!!

Many thanks, Steve xx
Posted By: Tony Wright Re: "light music" style? - 08/17/11 05:43 PM
No-one responded to this request but I know what you mean and I could use these styles also.

I play a lot of Standards from the Great American Songbook and always have trouble finding styles that suitable. None of the styles are quite right because they are too jazzy with too much swing or too much bounce and even the big band styles have a very staccato feel rather than a smooth Glen Miller like sound.

Tony
Posted By: J. Larry Re: "light music" style? - 08/18/11 04:24 AM
I like the notion of a more simplistic option to styles. On most RT bass parts, I've opted for the most simple style, if it's available for the tempo range. You really have to experiment with everything, which is good, I suppose. I'm still looking for a simple-sounding pedal steel for country ballads (Sw style, not Ev). The up-tempo stuff seems to be covered. Of course, more country piano styles would help. With all the new organ RTs, I'd still like to see a simple organ RT that drones in the background----especially on ballads to help fill-up the combo sound in places. Nothing fancy like hot licks, but simple sustained parts----much like strings might do, or vocal oohs and aahs.
Posted By: Griff Re: "light music" style? - 08/18/11 11:44 PM
Hello,
That sounds like what Lester Lanin played for the sophisticated swing dance crowd. He was soooo successful, he played for umpteen presidential inaugural balls. I love that style myself. Also known as "The Business Man's Bounce." All the great old swing tunes come out sounding really happy, and make you just want to dance! If BB has a really great version of that style, which I have yet to find, I will milk it 'til the cows come home! smiles. But a good start would be the midi style called: Dixieland Band. Check it out, at different tempos--you get different effects. I usually run it at 200 BPM, and play "Five-Foot Two, etc., etc. If you're playing an instrument along with it, you've got to be on your toes. smiles. But still, it isn't Lester Lanin. Good luck!
Griff
Posted By: Griff Re: "light music" style? - 08/18/11 11:53 PM
Hello Again,
If you try the Dixieland Band style, uncheck the banjo, and clarinet in the Save+ settings. Also, change the acoustic piano to No.5, the Rhodes. Sounds soooo much better, you won't believe it! Then on the middle chorus, go to the Melodist and choose Al Hirt in the Dixieland styles. Change the instrument from trumpet to Alto Sax. Some of those "solos" (supposed to be melodists) will blow your mind. Total fun to play along with!
Griff
Posted By: Tommyc Re: "light music" style? - 08/20/11 11:42 AM
Try using search in the style window and if you want to search the same again click G right beside the search button. Also you might get more response in Biab section of the forums as this is a wish list for new styles .
© PG Music Forums