PG Music Home
Posted By: joe5 70s jazz/rock - 08/09/16 05:02 PM
I've seen a few bits n pieces of such things scattered across a few other sets, but this is almost my entire focus, and I don't get the impression there's really much out there yet (amazing, considering how many you've done!).

PS: I am not talking "fusion" per se, although that could be part of it...but when I think of no-kidding "fusion," I think Weather Report etc. I'm talking more about stuff that mostly came out and us old coots listened to in the 70s...like:

Sea Level
Jean-Luc Ponty (some kickin jazzy violin stuff.....oh please)
Ronnie Laws
Jeff Beck (ie Blow by Blow and the like)
Jeff Lorber
Spyro Gyra
Tom Scott
David Sanborn
Dave Grusin
Pat Metheny (not everything ie not the hard-core jazz of course, which should be covered elsewhere)
Dixie Dregs (again not all of it obviously)
George Benson (and again...think "Breezin," not the more hard-core jazz or the fluffy pop stuff)

If you create this I will not only buy it but build an altar and make animal sacrifices to you.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: 70s jazz/rock - 08/09/16 07:15 PM
Great concept ideas.
+1
Posted By: MarioD Re: 70s jazz/rock - 08/09/16 07:32 PM
+1 for RTs and MIDI
Posted By: joe5 Re: 70s jazz/rock - 08/09/16 09:58 PM
Thx all. PS just had to say great quote in the sig line lol
Posted By: Icelander Re: 70s jazz/rock - 08/13/16 01:11 PM
+1...and then there was also that group with that prominent flute player (whose name now of course has completely escaped me!), to add to that list cool
Posted By: MarioD Re: 70s jazz/rock - 08/13/16 03:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Icelander
+1...and then there was also that group with that prominent flute player (whose name now of course has completely escaped me!), to add to that list cool

Do you mean Jethro Tull?

Or more down the jazz/rock/blues genres such as Herbie Mann?
Posted By: MikeK Re: 70s jazz/rock - 08/14/16 11:10 AM
+1 on this wishlist item ... and +1 to Jethro Tull like RTs laugh
Posted By: jford Re: 70s jazz/rock - 08/15/16 01:25 PM
I'd love some Jethro Tull-like flute RTs (growly, dirty, yet pretty and melodic at the same time - what a dichotomy!).

Likewise Canned Heat or Marshall Tucker Band style flute.
Posted By: Cerio Re: 70s jazz/rock - 08/15/16 04:54 PM
Great suggestions. +1
Posted By: Icelander Re: 70s jazz/rock - 08/16/16 10:37 AM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Originally Posted By: Icelander

Do you mean Jethro Tull?
That's the one, thank you, this was driving me nuts! crazy
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: 70s jazz/rock - 08/16/16 07:11 PM
- and the flute player was Ian Anderson.
Posted By: jford Re: 70s jazz/rock - 08/17/16 12:36 PM
Quote:
and the flute player was Ian Anderson

Yep, lots of folks think that his name was Jethro Tull, but that is the name of the group, not an individual in the group. The band was named after the 18th century agriculturist, Jethro Tull.

Much like The Marshall Tucker Band - no one in the band is named Marshall Tucker. It's actually the name of a blind piano tuner whose name was inscribed on the key for the warehouse space the band members were renting (the tuner had previously rented the space and had the key inscribed); it wasn't until later the band found out that Marshall Tucker was a real person.
© PG Music Forums