PG Music Home
This suggestion arose from a statement by Videotrack (Trevor) that he would like to switch from 3/4 to 4/4 in a song but sometimes doing this "sounds like changing bands". If styles could be premade in both time signatures using the same combination of RealTracks and RealDrums, then this would not happen.
+1

Great idea!
This is a great suggestion.

Without trying to hijack the thread, it would be great if each artist (whether RealTrack/Realdrum, SuperMIDI, or new regular MIDI styles) could record (obviously within each style of playing):

• 3/4 straight slow
  • 3/4 straight fast
  • 3/4 swing slow
  • 3/4 swing fast
  • 4/4 straight slow
  • 4/4 straight fast
  • 4/4 swing slow
  • 4/4 swing fast

That would allow for creating your own favorite virtual band(s) that sound like you didn't just fire everyone and hire new players in the middle of songs or even between songs.

Just a thought. Of course with so many styles and RealTracks, something like this would have to identified as such, since it would probably not be possible to retrofit what is already there. But going forward...
Right, this is the natural extension of the idea. Very nice, John.
I am not sure how well this works, but in the style editor there is a check box in the MISC settings for "Waltz".

The style editor is old, so it probably works best for MIDI styles, and I do remember seeing somewhere that the patterns used will adapt to 3/4 or 4/4.

But RealStyles, I am sure, need the Real Tracks to match the time signature - or maybe not.
Originally Posted By: Dave
...I do remember seeing somewhere that the patterns used will adapt to 3/4 or 4/4.
But RealStyles, I am sure, need the Real Tracks to match the time signature - or maybe not.
I remember when the RT's were just starting and not a lot of them on offer, it would often be suggested in the demo Memo for them that they 'work well' in 3/4 even if they had been recorded in 4/4 (albeit particularly basses, soloists and non-chord instruments alike).
So this should still hold true as a concept but needless to say there are some that cope with this far worse than others. I've actually tried this myself (since I'm still finding the Even Waltz category lacking a lot), and in many cases you really couldn't tell the 'cheat' if you didn't know about it beforehand. My rendition of "Amazing Grace" (found somewhere in the Showcase) is one such experiment, the accordion is a 4/4 accordion being forced to comply to a 3/4 song.

So in essence it 'works'.
I agree, sometimes it works.
Having said that, I should stress that obviously getting styles that were planned for the given time sig to begin with is always the favourable choice.
Yeah, getting a good transition from one time signature to another is basically a matter of luck. Especially with a radical chord change.
© PG Music Forums