PG Music Home
We're recording some more RealTracks Acoustic Piano styles with Miles Black, and are looking for some style suggestions.

These would be typically jazz or pop styles, solo or trio type styles.

Any suggestions are appreciated...
How is Miles Black on Latin jazz? Nuyorican, Eddie Palmieri, Rebeca Mauleon styles.

Maybe a Real Track remake of the Latin jazz MIDI styles. I would really like a Real Track version of the Guaracha style in particular.
Stride!
Diana Krall...
Hi Peter

the styles of Dr John i thought where excellent and i use them alot so some realtracks of this style of playing would be good

regards Dave Hoskins
I'm there with Matt and John, also maybe something in the slower tempos for cool ballads at 45-65 bpm.
Good work
Mike Ballara
I haven't had the opportunity to go through all the RT stuff yet, but if there's not '8 to the bar' I sure would love to hear some Boogie Woogie stuff.

'Pops' piano, such as Peter Nero, maybe?

Gary
If Miles likes to hum he could do a Glen Gould. (Ducks)
Stride would be great, particularly Teddy Wilson style.

For pop/ acoustic, something in the style of Kenny White would be really good.
He has played on a lot of modern-folk, singer-songwriter projects and always brings something special. You can find a list of his credits here:
http://www.kennywhite.net/pk_credits.htm

This might be a bit off base for your current RT recording, but some country piano Real Tracks would be a good addition. Something in the style of Matt Rollins.
You could throw a dart any any country record made in the late 80's through the early 2000's and chances are he's playing on it. Better yet, get Matt Rollins to record some country piano RTs. That would be fantastic.

Good luck,

John
You also might want to consider re-recording a couple of the older Jazz acoustic piano RTs. I'm thinking of Piano, Acoustic Rhythm Jazz sw 140 (RTs # 449, 450 and 451) and Piano, Acoustic Rhythm Jazz Ballad sw 085 (RTs # 487, 488, and 489)

The above RTs sound anemic compared to the newer Jazz piano RTs on Sets 53, 54, 57, etc. The new ones have a nice, wider stereo field and warmer tone than the ones listed above.

Thanks.

John
In the area of pop, how about some Elton John-style arpeggiated piano comping- something like what he played in "Tiny Dancer". Or like the piano in Cat Stevens' "Morning Has Broken".

In Jazz and Bossa styles, I like the selection so far, but can you record similar comping at additional tempos between the ones you already have? The tempo-stretching algorithm for the audio files doesn't work too well, especially at slower tempos than the natively-recorded tempos. I haven't noticed the glitches too much on bass, but I can hear them on piano and guitar.

Regards,
Doug
First, I agree with much of what's already been suggested. I would like to see more piano parts across slow, medium, and fast tempos and across a greater variety of styles, especially jazz, latin, ballads, country, and pop. At least real piano parts that could fit, or be used reasonbly across those categories. Also, how about a real track using that Rhodes electric piano sound with chorusing effect?
I think that jazz has been covered pretty much in the midi world of biab. What we could definitely use is more solo pop accompaniment piano, country accompaniment piano, (both particularly for ballads), theater style accompaniments (not klezmer, theater), more new age style accompaniments, a la david lanz, with arpeggio in the left hand.. Anyway, those are my 2 cents...
Hi,

No offense to tradivoro1, but we need much more jazz RTs! These are some I've been thinking about>

1. More content in the tracks! This is the biggest suggestion I have. I just sounds as though the piano player is sitting out, or playing very sparsely. Please consider more tracks in the comping styles of>Herbie Hancock, Keith Jarrett, Oscar Peterson etc, but playing with more content!

2. We need a Burning Be Bop Piano RT. Minimum 250-275.

3. I agree with Matt, we need authentic Montunos. Please listen to Gonzalo Rubacalba or Papa Luca. These Montunos could be used in Jazz styles, but would normally be used in Rhumba, Cha Cha, Salsa/Timba, etc.

4. I think many users would love to have a contemporary RT in the styles of>George Duke and Jeff Lorber. Also solo content would be great.

5. A Bruce Hornsby/Kenny Kirkland type RT and solos for Pop styles.

Hope this helps, a quick thanks to PG music for sending my disks to Mexico FREE of charge!!! What a great company hat's off to Peter again for such an amazing product that just keeps giving and giving!!!!

Ed
More modal tracks, plus high tempo bebop.
I'll bet "jazz-o-philes" outnumber "other" kinds of music afficianados on this forum, by a pretty big margin, and..... you know that I'm not knocking any other kind of idiom, cause I've played all types along with my favorite, jazz in its many permutations, from Dixie to Smooth Jazz, BeBop, Acid, Modal, and not so diatonically/chromatically modal!

They're having a big discussion over at the jazzguitar yahoo forum... right now... about BIAB/REALBAND capabilites, and especially the jazz backing real tracks!!

Typical Comments:
"This isn't the BB or even the RB tracks and samples/sounds I remember hearing. My, my, my....This new stuff is GREAT... (Just not nearly enough of it) to drive us to purchase the programs....yet!"

Lot's of NEW PG JAZZ-BASED musicians, singers, orchestration/arranger -type customers are coming....more jazz will guarantee more growth in the use of this great sofware both in live, studio and woodshedding moments/events..... especially if more cool jazz permeates the realband software.
Cita:

How is Miles Black on Latin jazz? Nuyorican, Eddie Palmieri, Rebeca Mauleon styles.

Maybe a Real Track remake of the Latin jazz MIDI styles. I would really like a Real Track version of the Guaracha style in particular.

Agree with you Matt, exactly what I think about. As specific and special representative styles also I could suggest Michael Camilo, Otmaro Ruiz or Danilo Perez. Others big ones like Pappo Luca (Sonora Ponceña) great latin jazz pianist, immortal Tito Puente,vibes and percussion - I imagine a Tito based Real Drum timbal 4´s soloing ...wow !! , fabulous Eddie Palmieri, salsa piano fusion pioneer. The incredible Chucho Valdez, cuban pianist, member founder of Grammy winners the latin jazz and fusion band Irakere and always into the Jazz Pianists Top Ten records. Gonzalo Rubalcaba is nowadays one of most important and outstanding jazz and latin pianist in the world. In the brazilian side I could mention Cesar camargo Mariano, Hermeto Pascoal, both absolutly a must reference!. This list is easy to write! I know. Behind is a "Real" devoted work and time greedy challenge, but we are talking about PG Music..where the Musical Dreams come true.
Cita:

They're having a big discussion over at the jazzguitar yahoo forum... right now... about BIAB/REALBAND capabilites, and especially the jazz backing real tracks!!

Great GDaddy, I will give a look in Yahoo Jazzguitar forum, thanks
Petimar suggested more modal tracks. A big +1

Carlos mentioned Cesar Camargo Mariano for a model of Brazilian playing. Another big +1.

I might add, for another contemporary Brazilian, Helio Alves. My favorite comping Brazilian player.

[Carlos, if they put Chucho-style playing into BIAB, people's computers will burn up under the load. Dangerous cat.]
Nicky Hopkins.
Monty Alexander
More Jazz Piano Soloists!
Please give us double time solos (16th notes), at least for the slower tempos till 180bpm!!!!!!
Also higher tempos like Bebop: 240 -340 bpm (not so much double time needed here, though ;-)

RIFF for known songs like: (+ according style)
Hancock: Watermelon Man, Cantaloupe Isand
Zawinul: Mercy, Mercy, Mercy
etc,..

Sandra
Quote:

Diana Krall...

+1 as a matter of fact Cry Me a River (soulful style) and while we're at it add guitar styles from her Live in Paris DVD as well.
Thelonious Monk style comping....
Andrew Hill
early period Cecil Taylor
mid 70's period McCoy Tyner

----------------------------

Alan
Quote:

In the area of pop, how about some Elton John-style arpeggiated piano comping- something like what he played in "Tiny Dancer". Or like the piano in Cat Stevens' "Morning Has Broken".

I'd rather like some of this too......
I just realised that there isn`t a single Jazz Ballad and Bebop Piano soloist, not even in the new RTs. So PLEAZE:

PIANO BALLAD SOLOIST (JAZZ)
PIANO BEBOP (190bpm +) SOLOIST (JAZZ)

Sandra
Quote:

Diana Krall...

+1

Would be great ...
Would be great to finally have 'Rubato' style playing and comping for introductions and ballads ....for use on its own or with a non-metric bass and drum style. Pianist/educator Hal Galper has a record out called 'Furious Rubato' which is like a primer for this kind of playing applied to well known standards . Other good examples recently though are ECM piano trios like Bobo Stenson's , John Coltrane ballads performances after 1965 ...too many to mention really
------------------------------

Regards

Alan
What would be nice is if PG provided a template so musicians around the world could record their OWN "real track" samples and those could be added to PG's collections, a kind of 'open source' idea on the template with potentially commissionable submissions by the musicians? Think of the growth potential of Real Tracks then! :-)
Paul
Quote:

What would be nice is if PG provided a template so musicians around the world could record their OWN "real track" samples and those could be added to PG's collections, a kind of 'open source' idea on the template with potentially commissionable submissions by the musicians? Think of the growth potential of Real Tracks then! :-)
Paul

TallPaul - what a genius idea!

Let me say that again just so Peter might hear:

That's a genius idea!

Not so tall Paul
Yes, several of us have been asking about this idea as early as beta testing of the original Real Tracks two years ago. There is a proprietary process PG Music uses that is not available to end users.

Interestingly, it is possible to make your own Real Drums, yet no one (that I am aware o)f has marketed any. Still, it would be nice to be able to produce our own Real Tracks.
Obviously not the riffs themselves, but the same feel as the following:

Billy Joel - Movin' Out, New York State Of Mind, My Life, Scenes From An Italian Restaurant
Bruce Hornsby - The Way It Is, Mandolin Rain
Elton John - Levon, Honky Cat, Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word, Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me
Billy Vera - At This Moment
Rich Mullins - Sing Your Praise To The Lord (the arpeggiated middle part), Elijah, If I Stand
Mark Schultz - He's My Son, Legend of McBride, When You Give, Remember Me
Styx/Dennis De Young - Lady, Babe, Come Sail Away
Barry Manilow - Mandy, Weekend In New England, Even Now, I Was A Fool (To Let You Go)
Paul McCartney - Maybe I'm Amazed

Thanks for the consideration.
I second the 8-to-the-bar suggestion.

ghinch
+1 Ryszard, Nicky Hopkins (rest in peace brother) Also Rick Wakeman, Patrick Moraz, etc. Rock on!

Ed

- Dave McKenna (Stride, "3-handed swing")
- Heavily syncopated but sparse jazz comping
- Left hand staying out of the way of the bass player
Quote:

- Dave McKenna

Pat, welcome to the forum. I played a concert with Dave McKenna. Thanks for the memory. Good style example.
Who's gonna play this ole'piano ?

OK I know it's not jazz or pop...

...but, some Jerry Lee Lewis please! Rock'n'Roll, Boogie and Country!
I think some nicely intense Billy Joel-style tracks would do very well -- patterned after "Angry Young Man", "Zanzibar" and/or "Our Italian Restaurant"; "Big Man On Mulberry Street"; and "Summer: Highland Falls". I think one inspired by "She's Always A Woman To Me" would be very useful for a lot of styles.

Something Steinman-ish and Bruce Hornsby-ish would also be way cool. Basically, stuff with -- how shall I put this? -- a lot more energy than some of the pop styles we currently have.
Yes, what Tom said!
© PG Music Forums