PG Music Home
Posted By: Cy O'Hara transcribed solos - 05/04/13 07:48 AM
looking for already transcribed solos to advance my study of the numerical system of scales and jazz patterns. Are there any recommendations?

Cy
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: transcribed solos - 05/04/13 02:23 PM
Yes, I'd have lots of recommendations. It would help to know what instrument and style you are looking for. As well as difficulty level.
Posted By: Cy O'Hara Re: transcribed solos - 05/05/13 08:12 AM
Hi Peter,

A shock seeing your face, as I have your jazz guitar course! I am still beavering through it. Thank you for the reply.

The instrument is now the guitar, used to be trumpet! The level or standard I am at, for me is difficult to judge, but for your benefit, but I would guess intermediate. Additionally,I mostly like modern jazz, classic old jazz and rock.

However, in respect of standard, I would choose material that inspired me, or that got my interest, and not bother considering the level of achievement, as I would do the work and get there in the end. Life for me is a very rural one, and therefore love to examine what the giants of jazz did on their recordings and dots.

For my purpose, what instrument they play it on, is also of no consequence, I love it all, playing it in any key or style or speed adds to the flavor of learning!

For my practice material,I currently use a J B ARBAN cornet method tutor, A FAKE BOOK, and your course, modified to include numerical scale position numbers, and purchased in Canada quite some years ago. Hopefully this will be of some guidance for you?

I would imagine that you have a substantial collection yourself?

Regards,
Cy
Posted By: Cy O'Hara Re: transcribed solos - 05/13/13 07:54 AM
Originally Posted By: PeterGannon
Yes, I'd have lots of recommendations. It would help to know what instrument and style you are looking for. As well as difficulty level.

Hi Peter, wondering if I answered your question satisfactorily? Are you waiting for more from me?
Cyo
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: transcribed solos - 05/13/13 06:11 PM
Hi Cy,

For Jazz Guitar transcribed solos, I'd recommend the following:
(I think the best way is to have both the transcription and the audio/video available)

===============
Wes Montgomery
http://wesmontgomerybook.com/details/

The nice thing about this one, is that there is also a DVD available of the concert.
=========================================================
Joe Pass
http://www.amazon.com/The-Best-Pass-Step-Step/dp/0634051946

or this one (a DVD is also available)

http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Audio-Media-Video-Transcription/dp/1576234371/ref=pd_sim_b_2

================
Posted By: lkmuller Re: transcribed solos - 05/13/13 07:51 PM
This one by Par Martino is pretty good too, comes with a CD and explains Pat's thinking through parts of the solo.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Best-Martino-Step-Step/dp/0634030515
Posted By: Cy O'Hara Re: transcribed solos - 05/14/13 05:45 PM
Hello Peter,
many thanks for that, it is very exciting to have your selection of these great performers.
Kind regards,
Cy
Posted By: Cy O'Hara Re: transcribed solos - 05/14/13 05:52 PM
Thanks for your help Ikmuller, I look forward to working on it.
Cy
Posted By: BBB Re: transcribed solos - 08/11/13 03:52 AM
Hi Cy,

The Wolf Marshall Book on Wes Montgomery also has audio and Wolf is a much better player and teacher than the other book with Tim Fitzgerald. Wolf is a GREAT player and teacher Tim Fitzgerald is just a decent local Club player in the Chicago area..........

I also recommend just transcribing the solos yourself........much better ear training, and you will learn some great riffs from the mistakes that you make trying to learn the actual one Wes is playing!

If you just buy a book where someone else did everything, you loose out on the above experience........

Regards, BBB
Posted By: Mac Re: transcribed solos - 08/26/13 01:13 PM
Originally Posted By: BBB

I also recommend just transcribing the solos yourself........much better ear training, and you will learn some great riffs from the mistakes that you make trying to learn the actual one Wes is playing!

If you just buy a book where someone else did everything, you loose out on the above experience........

Regards, BBB

ABSOLUTELY TRUE

There is also an EFFICIENCY in transcribing for yourself.

At the same time as learning the solo, we develop the ears, we have to learn to find the various rhythm patterns, in short, we learn all the things needed to be well-rounded improvisational musicians and also composers/arrangers.

IMO the only people who benefit from selling published transcriptions are the people who sell them. They not only go ALL the training needed by doing the transcriptions in the first place, they are getting money from others for a copy of the notes without any of the necessary other important things mentioned above.

YOU WILL GET THERE FASTER BY HEEDING THIS ADVICE.

There are no shortcuts, not really.

--Mac
© PG Music Forums