PG Music Home
Hey, everyone. I play piano and I've been stuck playing the same jazz ballads on piano for years now. I want to push past this plateau but I don't know how. I can play really great renditions of Georgia on My Mind and Misty (and others) but I want to tear up the keys playing songs like Take the A Train. I just don't know how to go about it. What should my left hand be playing? I can sort of a play a walking bass, but it always goes off the rails, and I'm not sure how to practice something that's continually changing. Do I work out a single pattern for every chord and just stick with it until I can play it in my sleep? What should my right hand be doing?

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Doug
Hi Doug,

As a fellow piano player, I hear you!

A suggestion:

Doug McKenzie (from Down Under) does amazing video jazz piano lessons where he plays the tunes, shows the notation, video of the hands, chord symbols, annotations describing the techniques. Pick a tune, dig in, and you may well leave your plateau in the dust! https://youtu.be/2ZaryPr389Q
Hey, Peter. Thanks for the reply. I think my problem is that I get a bit obsessive with exercises and never play enough actual music. Plus I'm worried that I won't be able to keep time, so I hide behind the pedal. I've bookmarked the links you sent so I'll check them out, and I've got the jazz piano master class programs (I'm on lesson two)!

Cheers,

Doug
Doug,

I can't recommend enough that you touch base with Jazz Piano teachers Peter Martin and Dan Delaney. Do a youtube search for>Giant Steps Dan Delaney, and 2 minute jazz piano Peter Martin, I studied with Dan for years, his teaching style, chops and professionalism will blown your mind, there are a LOT of Jive videos on YT, but these 2 guys are the real deal. PM me if you need more info.
Edward
Try a different genre for a while. Break out of the same old same old and do something totally different.

When you go back, you will have learned a few new things and that might be the break-through you've been looking for.

I play guitar and have the same issues. So I switch to playing a different genre and shake off the old grooves and learn some new things. Expose yourself to all sorts of musical influences and take something from each one.

Leave the piano jazz ballads alone and pick some honky tonk or some New Orleans boogie, or even some of the soul and funk stuff. There are great keyboard players in every genre. Find them and listen and learn.
© PG Music Forums