PG Music Home
Posted By: Bill Cook Basic solo - Improvisation simple diatonic - 06/27/17 06:26 PM
I have been experimenting with solo settings. I want the solo to ONLY use diatonic notes. However, the "Outside Range" setting of "1" does not limit the solo to only diatonic notes.

How can I create a simple improvisation on a song using only a few diatonic notes?
Bill,

If you are using Realtrack soloists for the solo, the user has no control over these on a note-by-note basis because the solos are snippets of live studio performances. If a particular solo is required, all a user can do is to regenerate the track and see if something close is obtained.

If you want to have more control, the Soloist feature will allow you to use MIDI to accomplish this. Any notes that you don't like that are generated using the Soloist generator can be changed or deleted (or added, even). The quality of the sound for MIDI, though, is controlled by the quality of the synthesiser (software or hardware) used to play the notes.

Information about the Soloist can be found on page 320 of BIAB 2017's user guide (PDF).

Regards,
Noel
Noel,
Thanks for your quick response!

I do use only MIDI Soloists when trying to create a "simple" Improvisation exercise for myself (actually, for my students learning basic improvisation).

As I continue to experiment, I see the "Note Range" on the Soloist Maker gives me the chance to limit the notes used to say the 5-finger scale.

But even with the "Outside Range" set to value = 1, The generated solo still permits chromatic notes.

Example: Key of C, the solo includes chromatic notes such as C#, D#, F#.

This is not a big deal. Without the chromatic notes, the generated solo is certainly not interesting!

I was just wondering if I could "force" the solo to ONLY use the diatonic notes such as C-D-E-F-G on a C Chord.

Thanks again for your help!

Bill
Bill,

In the Soloist Editor, try setting the options I've highlighted on the image below. These should help reduce the chromatic notes.

Regards,
Noel

Attached picture Soloist settings 2.JPG
Noel,
I thought that those settings applied only to RealTracks?

I also tried the two settings similar above the Real Tracks.

I have also tried different soloists. I still get chromatic notes.

Bill
Originally Posted By: Bill Cook
Noel,
I thought that those settings applied only to RealTracks?

I also tried the two settings similar above the Real Tracks.

I have also tried different soloists. I still get chromatic notes.

Bill

Bill,

I'm sitting here thinking about the above and, on reflection, I believe that you are right. I also suspect that the settings I've highlighted are for Realtracks (I haven't tried them. I just saw them there and thought that they might be useful for you.)

Given all that you've tried, it sounds like chromatic notes are unavoidable. Have you tried using the Melodist as a simplified version of solo generation?

Regards,
Noel
© PG Music Forums