PG Music Home
Posted By: edshaw Finding the voice - 08/01/17 09:00 AM
Not sure how to do this and be fair. I'll try. Correct me if I fail, please.
First, not eight or ten years ago, I was intrigued by the promotion of a DVD series titled "Learn to Sing" by Per Bristo. I ordered the DVD set and was happy with the content.
To pass on one of Mr. Bristo's bits of instruction, first, know that the vocal chords produce the sound. Learn where they are and how they work to make sound -- air passing by, causing vibrations. Finding the voice is quite literally learning where they are and how to use them. Sounds simple, right?
The exercise as follows:
(1) Develop and practice an extended air flow, chords open, at rest, and creating no sound. Breathe in and out, mind resting on voice box. In and out, in and out...
(2) Now, on the exhale, sound the "ah," briefly, maybe to a two count, whatever, sound the note, "la" or "ah," keeping the count to yourself.
(3) At the end of the count, release the voice, return to silent air flow, without breaking the continuity of air flow. Produce the sound simply by engaging the voice box. Produce a three or four bar line to 3 or 4 count. Rest. Inhale.
Repeat. It sounds like, " ......ahh......ahh.....ahh......ahh.......rest......ahh....etc.
Feel the process. Make a mental note of where the voice was hiding, just in case you should call upon your self to find it again.

Interviewed, Lucian Pavarotti was being questioned on the subject of the diaphragm and its role in singing. Pavarotti's reply, "It's in the voice box."
Posted By: bobunt12 Re: Finding the voice - 09/13/17 10:37 PM
Per Bristow "The Singing Zone" Sorry If his people intercept this somehow,they are very good at covering any negativities Per Bristow has no musical recordings anywhere to be found, he has a terrible voice when he just does a screech now and then demonstrating all his online things are built by them eg the comments arnt comments at all ie you'll never be able to comment on them because you cant, grabbing money (have a try) he is just an entrepreneur, no musical ability at all. I was a Vocalist Musician for 50 years not a houshold name but worked with some of the best and I just cant stand these FAKES that mislead these innocent people because they are gullible,its called unconscionable conduct,Hes earnt millions already from this CON Get a recomended Singing teacher
Posted By: sslechta Re: Finding the voice - 09/14/17 10:09 AM
Interesting that someone created a new forum account just to rant against this guy.
Posted By: edshaw Re: Finding the voice - 09/15/17 11:28 PM
I wasn't sure how to handle it, Steve, which is why I asked for any correction.
I think the folks on this forum know me well enough to know I'm not in the business of endorsing any of this stuff, though I tend to be enthusiastic about TEAC Corp.
and, of course, "Band-in-a Box."
I thought the instruction was sound. It helped me in the voice training area.
I haven't seen anything about it since. That's been 6 or so years. I wanted to give credit to the source so it wouldn't be me passing something off as my own that wasn't.
© PG Music Forums