PG Music Home
Posted By: Rich35 Using Band in a Box - 12/02/17 05:27 PM

Hi All
Just upgrade from BinaB 2012.5 pro to 2018 ultra and wow!
Anyways I am using it for backing tracks for playing my Chromatic Harmonica,s and learning Guitar any Ideas for learning guitar with binab ?
Thanks
Rich
Posted By: pghboemike Re: Using Band in a Box - 12/03/17 12:25 AM
you may want to be a bit more specific about what you mean by "learning guitar with binab " as well as describing the system you are running the software on including the os and audio/midi interface you are using

a thread the may be helpful

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=339132&Searchpage=1&Main=49476&Words=%22learning+guitar%22&Search=true#Post339132

Posted By: Rich35 Re: Using Band in a Box - 12/03/17 05:44 PM
Hi
I am referring to how people use band in a box to learn
Guitar, as a beginning guitar student at 62 I am a old Boy learning a new trick ,Guitar and if others are using this product how do they use it ? Make backing for songs,putting down and trying to keep up with Band in a Box,etc.
I just recently,like this week bought 2018 ,I had 2012.5 pro edition now ultra plus 2018 ,and learning it also, but the question was for learning Guitar and band in a box uses for learning guitar
Rich
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Using Band in a Box - 12/03/17 08:27 PM
Hi Rich. Guitar is foreign to me so I can't help there, but I have a suggestion: I think you want to reach the many BIAB users who do play guitar. They may not look at this forum very often (I don't). You posted here correctly, but I suggest you also place a post in the main BIAB User Product Forum for PC and / or Mac, brieftly state what you're looking for, and add a link to this post http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=442114&gonew=1#UNREAD
Posted By: MarioD Re: Using Band in a Box - 12/03/17 08:43 PM
Hi Rich,

I am a guitarist who uses BiaB in a number of ways. Here are a couple of ideas for you. I have used both of these many times.

1-If you can't read music then input the chords of a song you want to learn, pick a style, and play along.

2-If you do read music then you have a couple of options. One would be to input the chords, pick a style and read the music. If you are using MIDI you can slow down or speed up the tempo and it will still sound good. Realtracks are good but only withing a certain tempo range.

Another option is to look at Note Norton's site, http://nortonmusic.com/
and check out the fake discs. If you find one that you like then order it and buy the corresponding fake book. The disc will point to the page in the fake book that the song is on as well as load the chords for said song and suggest a style. These are MIDI styles so the above tempo suggestions work perfectly. But you can use any style that you have, MIDI, RTs or a mixture. I use this method to practice my site reading.

I hope this helps and good luck.

Ps - also look at the guitar tab option in BiaB. It shows you the guitar's fret board and what notes are being played. You don't need to read music to use this option.
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Using Band in a Box - 12/04/17 01:19 AM
Hi rich

I use the Biab songs all the time. They have loads of public domain songs on the disc (or I think you can purchase them separately if you don’t have them). The nice thing about these songs is that they are generally well known plus they have the melody already in them.

Just pull up one and start playing along. Try and pick out the chords and the melody. If you can read music you can follow along on the score. Start with a very slow tempo and gradually increase speed. Try loading different real styles in with the songs and soloing the guitar parts and pick up the strumming or picking pattern of the realtrack. If you know your scales you can improvise along. Try changing the key of the song. Try transposing on the fly by using a capo.

Also I have a youtube channel where I have scollling chords and lyrics so you can play along.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL73jwH9WpDNR0DXMzBK4FMaZgzrXo15Bk
Posted By: Rich35 Re: Using Band in a Box - 12/04/17 08:30 PM

Thanks All for the input,And Joanne Your first song with band in a box,is the reason I bought band in a Box 2018
Thanks
Rich
Posted By: dcuny Re: Using Band in a Box - 12/05/17 03:41 AM
I'm teaching one of my daughters to play guitar. I can quickly create a practice track for the chords we happen to be working on, and adjust the tempo to whatever she's comfortable with.

When my son was learning to play bass, I'd queue up the songs that we'd be doing that week in the church choir. We'd start at half-speed (or slower) and then slowly move up to speed.

Obviously, BiaB offers a lot more than that. But simply having something to play against is a lot more fun than playing with a metronome.
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Using Band in a Box - 12/05/17 02:24 PM
Originally Posted By: Rich35

Thanks All for the input,And Joanne Your first song with band in a box,is the reason I bought band in a Box 2018
Thanks
Rich

Wonderful rich! So glad to hear that!
Posted By: Geneoh Re: Using Band in a Box - 02/04/18 10:57 AM
Originally Posted By: JoanneCooper
Hi rich

I use the Biab songs all the time. They have loads of public domain songs on the disc (or I think you can purchase them separately if you don’t have them). The nice thing about these songs is that they are generally well known plus they have the melody already in them.

Just pull up one and start playing along. Try and pick out the chords and the melody. If you can read music you can follow along on the score. Start with a very slow tempo and gradually increase speed. Try loading different real styles in with the songs and soloing the guitar parts and pick up the strumming or picking pattern of the realtrack. If you know your scales you can improvise along. Try changing the key of the song. Try transposing on the fly by using a capo.

Also I have a youtube channel where I have scollling chords and lyrics so you can play along.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL73jwH9WpDNR0DXMzBK4FMaZgzrXo15Bk

Well Thank You!
Im a new player also, this will surely help, nice songs also.
Posted By: mrgeeze Re: Using Band in a Box - 02/07/18 10:39 AM
I am a guitar player. 40+ years now
I use biab primarily to build backing tracks for instrumental guitar work.
Mostly covers, a few originals.
I also use it extensively for selecting, practicing and building the repertoire.

A couple of biab features that make it great for working up the repertoire for performance.

the ability to test different styles and tracks quickly is great.
its nice to find a slightly fresh take on a well worn standard.
A reggae version of "Autumn Leaves" .... perhaps.

The ability to modify tempo is very important for learning a new piece.
You really can't play it fast if you can't play it slow.

I slow down the tempo till i can play the piece correctly 4 times through.
There is no doubt it makes learning a tune faster and correct.
It sticks better

At present I'm working on a flat-picking tune by russ barrenburg and the fingering is odd for me.
Slowing it down allows me to get the fingering right. Makes the song sound better

At a slow tempo I can begin to find little fill opportunities or experiment with the melody in sections I have down. I normally improvise at least a chorus or two in performance.

Finally the loop section. 4 or 5 tricky bars 1000 times at 50bpm till you can play them correctly.
Ok, a little exaggeration, but you get my point.

For a guitairst, expecially an instrumental guitarist, biab is the best tool I have found.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Using Band in a Box - 02/07/18 01:28 PM
Originally Posted By: mrgeeze

For a guitairst, expecially an instrumental guitarist, biab is the best tool I have found.

Got that right! I agree completely.

PS - I know where you are coming from wink
Posted By: edshaw Re: Using Band in a Box - 02/13/18 12:22 AM
Same here, without a doubt.

Ray Charles said, "If you can count, you can play,"
I couldn't think of a better way to hone counting skills.
BiaB is the metronome on steroids. Like any tool,
you have to use it, not let it use you.
© PG Music Forums