THE ART OF SOLOING

Posted by: musicalcrib

THE ART OF SOLOING - 12/07/17 08:19 AM

When it comes to music, there are many and different analysis and school of thoughts.

Scales are believed by many professionals as well as many masters of the craft as the best approach to soloing. I believe and accept the approach as it had worked for even myself to a certain extent but over the years, I discovered as a young player i get too involved, overwhelmed and engrossed with the practice of scales, licks, modes etc, While paying less attention to musicality of soloing.
I actually knew how to play quiet some scales, but the problem was where and how do i use these scales? I struggled with this until my perspective about soloing changed from learning scales to understanding chords as well as some other important tips that I will share with us.

Scales, modes, licks and the likes are meaningless if not used to make music. In essence, I’m pointing out the fact that solo is an art while scales, modes, licks etc are some of the spices that gives more beauty to the art.

Today, I’m gonna narrow down the analysis I’d love to title the art of soloing down to give a better insight to aspiring improvisers or solo guitarists rather than the general believe that knowing a thousand scales, licks etc is a guarantee to becoming a wonderful solo guitarist.

Below are the insightful steps to look into: Read all @ http://musicalcrib.com/the-art-of-soloing
Posted by: lambada

Re: THE ART OF SOLOING - 12/07/17 05:27 PM

Try playing simple tunes from memory. I find, for some reason, it's nearly always Xmas carols, folk tunes or Beatles songs. It's great for improving musicality. Also sing stuff out loud or in your head and then play it on the guitar. Finally, listen to a lot of music styles and watch youtube videos.

The scales and modes etc are the theoretical backbone that soloing rests on. For example, taking a Minor Pentatonic scale in A and moving it down to F# (Major Pentatonic?) and get a country sound rather than a blues sound. Use a Harmonic or Melodic minor scale to give you a more heavy metal / hard rock sort of sound. Learn the Arpeggios for each note of the Major Scale. Try Intervalic stuff etc. Learn diatonic chord changes. Learn scales in octaves, 3rds, 5ths, etc. to get a more country / jazz sound. Learn to solo up the fret board and then down again. Learn your Diminished / Augmented scales and Arpeggios. Always use a metronome or BIAB while you play to improve timing. Play licks around chords and chord changes. I'm no expert, but a few ideas.
Posted by: musicalcrib

Re: THE ART OF SOLOING - 12/07/17 10:30 PM

@Lambada... Why dont you drop your comment on the web page and it would be attended to http://musicalcrib.com/the-art-of-soloing
Posted by: edshaw

Re: THE ART OF SOLOING - 12/08/17 02:01 PM

I did enjoy you insights, musicalcrib. Same goes for lambada, as usual.
I would note, today, people hesitate to download anything from the internet
that does not originate from a trusted source, such as CNET. While that may
seem unfair, the question is, "Why didn't the teacher simply upload to YouTube,
embed or link? " The unfortunate thing is that this reality makes monetization
oh-so-much more problematic. Problems are meant to be solved.
I've often though that somewhere along our evolutionary path, some man or woman was born with the ability to hum (and create) chord changes in perfect pitch. Mozart was, in fact one of them, who could do that on a piano. For the rest of us, there is good ol' BiaB.