PG Music Home
Hello:

My father has an old Roland Sound Canvas sound module with typical RCA line-level outs.

He also has a spare set of Altec Lansing computer speakers pictured below with the specs:

With the appropriate RCA to 1/8" adapter would it work to hook up his sound canvas outs to these computer speakers?

Would there be a signal level or impedance mismatch or any other problems?

I've always hooked up sound modules to a mixer and then to bigger monitors, so I've never tried hooking one up to computer speakers and was wondering how it might work.

I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

John
That should work very well.
It should work well.

I used computer speakers until a few months ago and I was quite happy with it.

Mine was just a cheap pair of digitech speakers , much worse than the ones you are showing.

The fun remains the same ....
Computer speakers like these is what I use. I use them for gigs, too. I have a couple different sets for different size rooms.
Matt, Country Trash, Flatfoot:

Thanks for the responses. I think I'll try hooking up the Roland Sound Canvas GM module to the computer speakers and see how it goes.

Thanks again for the input.

John
Flatfoot, do you mind elaborating on which speakers you are using for
The size of rooms you are playing?
I used a Roland KB 60 with a 12" speaker plus a hot spot type monitor
Yesterday and it was way overkill for a rec. room about 40x60'.
Can computer speakers handle BIAB plus vocals?
Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Like others I see no issue with workability, but depending the size of your room and number in your audience I am afraid you won't get enough umph from this setup. Just thinking out loud.

Edited Portion: Sorry I see jazzsax already stated the same concerns.

Later,
Just to give you an update on the computer speakers.

I did hook up my father's Roland Sound Canvas to the speakers above and it sounds very good.

My father is 92 and he likes to compose music with Finale on his iMac and uses the sound Canvas for his output.

Thanks again to Matt, Country Trash and Flatfoot for the input.

John
© PG Music Forums