PG Music Home
Posted By: rockstar_not Sweetwater Mixing Contest - 04/18/13 01:22 AM
http://www.puremix.net/gearfestmixingcon...puremix-contest

Might be interesting to have several folks here participate and compare mixes. Read the rules, it's not a production or mastering contest. Lots of cool gear up for the top 16 winners. Regardless of winning, I think this contest opens an interesting opportunity to see what we all think constitutes a good mix of a soulful rock song.

I think I might give it a shot. Currently downloading the 212 MB of raw tracks. Pretty slow right now.

-Scott
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: Sweetwater Mixing Contest - 04/19/13 01:40 AM
Thanks for the heads up, think I will give it a try, got the tracks downloaded and in my daw. Love the vox performance track! Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: rharv Re: Sweetwater Mixing Contest - 04/20/13 07:32 PM
Could be fun.
Checking out the Tracks
Posted By: LoveGuitar Re: Sweetwater Mixing Contest - 05/02/13 02:31 PM
Don't even know where to start with this but I am sure willing to give it a try. I only have RealBand so we'll see what it can do. I have zero experience at mixing so that will be the real challange.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Sweetwater Mixing Contest - 05/09/13 01:29 PM
Cool opportunity to play with some "professionally" recorded tracks..... yeah a few of them are noisy.

Still fun to work with something I didn't record.

As tempting as it may be, if you plan to enter this, do not add tracks from BB/RB.....
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: Sweetwater Mixing Contest - 05/26/13 02:25 AM
Here is my version of the song mix for the contest. There was a lot of bleed over from the individual instruments as the song was recorded in a live setting. The tracks were 2 basses DI and an amp version. 1 Electric Guitar, Kick drum, Snare Drum, Overheads and 1 lead Vox.

Oh Baby by Liza Colby Band
Posted By: occ Re: Sweetwater Mixing Contest - 05/31/13 11:52 PM
PGFantastic, that sounds really good to me. I started to do this but my starter broke. I was to busy. I don't think anybody can beat what you did. Good work!!! occ
Posted By: lindbjerg Re: Sweetwater Mixing Contest - 06/01/13 08:15 AM
Hi

Very challenging mix. I tried to keep the live feeling and not using to much effect. My gear is mainly Cubase 7, Line 6 Amp farm, TC Powercore, Toontrack drums and Waves effects. Audio module is TC Konnekt 24.

I replaced the kick with a kick from Toontracks Avatar drums. Copied the guitar to balance the stereo field and gave one guitar a slight phasing and the other guitar auto-wah. Everything was EQ'ed and I used a good deal of compression.
Hear my contribution here:

https://soundcloud.com/lindbjerg

I would love to have some comments.

Kind regards
Lindbjerg
Posted By: rharv Re: Sweetwater Mixing Contest - 06/01/13 12:38 PM
Yes, it was a tough one
Nice job!
"I would love to have some comments." -

Reverb a bit heavy on vocals.. for me
Posted By: DrDUBose Re: Sweetwater Mixing Contest - 06/16/13 12:48 AM
I liked how you beefed up the vocal, and added some mod effect to the guitar. I heard things in your mix in the vocal that seemed missing in another mix of the same song - her squeal... an important energy element... nice job. Best of luck.
© PG Music Forums