PG Music Home
Posted By: Sundance LCR Mixing - 05/30/13 01:32 AM
LCR mixing is only using three panning positions - panning everything all the way hard left or hard right and the bass, drums (or partial drums) and the vocal straight up center.

Personally, I haven't had the "a-ha" moment yet.... I've only tried LCR mixing on one song and quite frankly it sounds weird to me. So I went back and watched the recording revolution 5 min to a better mix video on the subject -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDp8rsdmdEE

he's really into it. I must be missing something.

Anybody tried it or have anything to share on the subject? There are some really good mixers on the pg forums and I'd really like to know what you guys think.

TIA
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: LCR Mixing - 05/30/13 02:13 AM
Normally the vocal or lead instrument is in the center, and the bass also since it is rather non-directional. When I mix, I place the musicians where they might be in an actual performance as you look at the stage.

As far as BIAB, the two most critical tracks to separate are the guitar and piano. However, I may pan them something like left 30, right 20; certainly not all the way right or left. Also, it seems to me that some of the RealTracks are already heavier on one side, so I make use of that in my panning. In other words, if the guitar sounds stronger in the right channel, I would keep it there, because mixing it to the left will actually 'center' it.
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: LCR Mixing - 05/30/13 02:39 AM
I do LCR mixing -- in a modified way (ha, ha). Vocals, bass and "stereo drums" in the center. At least two instruments and some vocals 100% Left and right and then other things in the 50% range (or other places). I like a wide sound.

When you listen to music under headphones, you become aware about how some great bands (like Counting Crows) have a lot of stuff mixed really wide.

I generally pan all BIAB stuff to the center before exporting it to wav files and bring it into a DAW. That way I know where things are going to go when I turn the panning knobs.
Posted By: Sundance Re: LCR Mixing - 05/31/13 01:53 AM
Yeah, I basically do what you guys do - I may pan a couple of things wide but generally use more of the spectrum than pure LCR.
Posted By: ROG Re: LCR Mixing - 05/31/13 09:02 AM
Hi Josie.

If we're tracking up backing vocals we always pan hard left and right. We often record rhythm guitars twice and pan hard L-R as well. It makes for a big sound without sounding as electronic as a stereo chorus effect.

Drums are always mono in the middle, because I don't like to hear a break on the toms cross the soundstage. That just doesn't sound natural to me, though I know a lot of people do it.

At the end of the day, there are fashions in mixing, like in everything else. My view has always been that if it sounds good, then go for it.

ROG.
Posted By: silvertones Re: LCR Mixing - 05/31/13 12:15 PM
Yes be aware of the latest fad/buzz word.
Mixing is an art and like many artful things some can do it some can't. There is no magic formula.There are some basics but those will only get you so far. Like your songs Josie.The basics are you need to use words that conform to the english language BUT it is your talent that makes those words memorable.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: LCR Mixing - 05/31/13 09:13 PM
Originally Posted By: silvertones
Mixing is an art and like many artful things some can do it some can't. There is no magic formula.There are some basics but those will only get you so far. Like your songs Josie.The basics are you need to use words that conform to the english language BUT it is your talent that makes those words memorable.

@John
That was downright profound!

@Josie
Your songs sound good to me. Keep on doing what you're doing.
Like all the other elements of a song that give it a unique and recognizeable sound, the mix also contributes to "your sound"

That's why there are multiple ways that work. Pick one and run with it.
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: LCR Mixing - 06/01/13 01:48 AM
Originally Posted By: silvertones

I wouldn't call it a latest "fad/buzzword". It is a sound mixing philosophy. In fact, I think you should start out 100% LCR and go from there.
Posted By: ROG Re: LCR Mixing - 06/01/13 10:51 PM
Hey Kevin.

If you like a wide sound have you ever tried panning alternate Hi-Hat beats hard left and right? There's no way it sounds natural, but it's an interesting effect in itself and can work for some tracks.

I think I first heard it back in the 80s on a Stevie Nicks track and we used it quite a lot back then. Haven't tried it in ages, but think I might have to give it a go again. Doesn't work so well on slow tracks, I seem to remember.

Would you believe we actually used two Roland 606 Drumatics to do it. Took ages to program!

ROG.
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: LCR Mixing - 06/01/13 11:11 PM
Originally Posted By: ROG
If you like a wide sound have you ever tried panning alternate Hi-Hat beats hard left and right? There's no way it sounds natural ... ROG.

I don't care for the effect where instruments go back and forth is a stereo field too much -- makes me dizzy (ha, ha). If I pan something wide, it stays there (mostly).
© PG Music Forums