PG Music Home
Posted By: RickeG Nashville Chord Chart software - 11/16/13 06:05 AM
For some time I have been looking to see if I can buy a software package that will allow me to transcribe chord charts in the vein of Nashville style. You know: numbers, slash marks, etc.

Does anyone know if there is a software out there that can do that? I have Finale. But, they require you to write melody notes before you can insert a chord over the note. That is not what I am looking for. I want to be able to chart something on my PC that I can store for future needs rather than having to manually write the charts out every time I need them.

P.S. if PG Music would design that as an add on to their chord chart design, I would be willing to buy it as an add on! I can do it with chords using the current format. The reason I like the Nashville is for transpositional reasons.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Nashville Chord Chart software - 11/16/13 07:39 AM
Ricke,

It's possible to use Nashville numbers on the chord sheet view of BIAB. These could then be printed without staff lines to obtain a chord sheet. Would that do the job you want?

Below is the is an image of the chord sheet view using Nashville numbers.

To change to Nashville numbers, simply click on the shortcut button I've highlighted below.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: DrDan Re: Nashville Chord Chart software - 11/16/13 02:09 PM
57sus and 4Major9.. those coutry boys will love that! hehe. smile

On the otherhand coutry studio cats can read anything. wink
Posted By: Mac Re: Nashville Chord Chart software - 11/16/13 03:30 PM
As Noel96 points out, Band in a Box has been able to utilize Nashville Notation of chords for a long time - and it works a treat.

--Mac
Posted By: Mac Re: Nashville Chord Chart software - 11/16/13 03:36 PM
Originally Posted By: jazzmandan

On the otherhand coutry studio cats can read anything. wink

Be careful, bro, I learned a long time ago that just because someone happens to love playing a certain genre that is rather simple in musical construct does not mean that they cannot play the heck out of some of the other, much more difficult to understand and execute musics.

Going back years now, I'll never forget the day I found out that the cats in that "country" band could blow all of Charlie Parker's bebop standards - and solo in correct bebop fashion on them, as well. Even on Dobro. Or fivestring banjo.

I've met certain musician types who frown or otherwise make fun of use of Nashville Notation. Likely due to their own ignorance on the subject, likely due to their own inability to work with it, which, in actuality is rather easy to use.

And using Nashville Notation makes the art and science of Transposition on the fly a breeze. Cuts studio time something fierce and in the studio, time and money seem to be not a 1 for 1 equivalence at all.

1 unit of lost time seems to translate to 2 or more units of lost money in the studio scenario.

--Mac
Posted By: DrDan Re: Nashville Chord Chart software - 11/16/13 04:54 PM
Originally Posted By: Mac

Be careful, bro, I learned a long time ago that just because someone happens to love playing a certain genre that is rather simple in musical construct does not mean that they cannot play the heck out of some of the other, much more difficult to understand and execute music.

--Mac

I fully agree which is why I had added the second part to imply these guys can indeed impress...:

...On the other hand country studio cats can read anything. wink
Posted By: Mac Re: Nashville Chord Chart software - 11/16/13 06:23 PM
Maybe it was the "studio cats" part.

I've known plenty of great players of country music who are "just" the core of the modern journeyman musician, the working musicians.

Of course, if ever confronted with the task, likely most of 'em would be ready and able to do the session cat thing in a heartbeat.

--Mac
Posted By: RickeG Re: Nashville Chord Chart software - 11/17/13 05:06 AM
Wow Noel Thanks! I had no idea that was already there. Every tutorial video I have seen in BIAB always uses the standard chords. This solves my problem. Thanks again for the illustration.

Cheers!
RickeG
Posted By: Flatfoot Re: Nashville Chord Chart software - 11/24/13 10:15 PM
Yet another way that BiaB is the best music teaching tool out there.

I recently learned a set of basic gospel/blues changes, and realized that I might be called upon to use them in a variety of keys. I learned a lot by transposing the keys to F, Bb, G, Eb and so on. I got close to real mastery when I switched to Nashville notation and required myself to call the correct changes in different keys using just one set of numbers. It was a challenge, and very satisfying when I started to get fluent with it.

I am not at the point of being able to play them in all 12 keys yet, but that will be my ultimate goal.
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Nashville Chord Chart software - 11/25/13 12:30 AM
My favorite concert I've been able to attend so far was Allison Krauss and Union Station, featuring Jerry Douglas.

Little did I know that the 'featuring' part meant that while A.K. and U.S. took a mid-show break, Jerry Douglas would put on a psychadelic guitar-hero instrumental rock show using electrified dobro for over 1/2 hour. I'm pretty sure Jerry Douglas could play any instrument he set his mind to with aplomb.

In addition to ridiculous instrumentalist talent featured throughout the entire show, it was the best engineered live show I've ever attended from a sound quality standpoint.
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Nashville Chord Chart software - 11/25/13 12:37 AM
Originally Posted By: flatfoot
Yet another way that BiaB is the best music teaching tool out there.

I recently learned a set of basic gospel/blues changes, and realized that I might be called upon to use them in a variety of keys. I learned a lot by transposing the keys to F, Bb, G, Eb and so on. I got close to real mastery when I switched to Nashville notation and required myself to call the correct changes in different keys using just one set of numbers. It was a challenge, and very satisfying when I started to get fluent with it.

I am not at the point of being able to play them in all 12 keys yet, but that will be my ultimate goal.

I would say you're really close!
Posted By: Mac Re: Nashville Chord Chart software - 11/25/13 12:44 AM

Posted By: Noel96 Re: Nashville Chord Chart software - 11/25/13 10:40 AM
What great performances!
© PG Music Forums