PG Music Home
I would be interested to hear users views on the best sound module to use with Band in A Box / RealBand, and why

I have been looking at the Roland SD-50, amongst others, and am not sure if hardware module or software is the best way to go. There's a lot out there, and a lot of options to choose from.

What are people using, and what are the benefits / dis-benefits of both software and hardware solutions?

I would be really pleased to hear of user's opinions.

Regards

Trevor
I use hardware, the Roland Fantom XR, which has sounds similar to the newer SD-50.

I like the "instant on" nature of a hardware module. Hardware requires no huge amount of RAM. One disadvantage is that you cannot use the BIAB Render command; recordings must be done in real time by routing the output of the hardware back to the input of your sound card.
Posted By: Mac Re: Hardware / Software Sound Module comparison - 11/29/13 02:39 PM
Hardware MIDI solution has its advantages:

*Near zero latency at all times. (No fiddling around with ASIO latency figures and settings in order to get different software solutions to work without introducing pops, clicks, dropouts, etc.) With a hardware module, once you find the sweet setpoint for your Audio Drivers in the PC, likely will never need to revisit that issue because you have downloaded and installed a different Software MIDI solution.

*Once the Hardware Module is hooked up and you've either located a Patch Map for all of its internal sounds and installed that map into your particular recording software, its typically also a done deal. Selecting sounds from Upper Banks is simple and easy.

*Those who own a MIDI keyboard or other MIDI input instrument can also use the Hardware MIDI device standalone by simply hooking the MIDI Output of the instrument to the MIDI input of the Hardware and the Audio Output of the Hardware to an amplification system. This is especially good for Live Performance use, no need to be futzing around keeping a computer up and running at live performances. No surprises. This can also come in handy for practice sessions as well, the "plug and play" without need to boot up a computer and open a software that can access the software MIDI synth and allow for playing it and hearing it in realtime can get to be the kind of chore over time that may lead someone to decide not to bother with a practice session today.

The biggest "disadvantage" to the Hardware Synth/Sampler is likely the price of the thing. Some may not be able to afford a good hardware solution, good to be able to find the less expensive and sometimes free software solutions avaIlable today.

There was a time when the purchase of hardware MIDI solution could become "outdated" in the sense that within a year or two the mfrs would be releasing new ones that sounded much better than previous designs. That situation has diminished quite a bit due to the very good sounds available in a lot of the synths now. Matter of fact it is impossible to find a "cheezy" sounding Hardware MIDI solution these days.

But if you can afford the Hardware Solution, I do recommend finding one that has sounds that you like and using it.

--Mac
Thanks for the ideas.

I use Synthogy Ivory II Grand Pianos for my piano sounds. A software solution, and takes a while to load, but the samples really are just sensational, especially the jazz brightness from the Yamaha C7 Grand and the dynamic Steinway D Concert Grand. 18 levels of sampled velocities, sympathetic string resonance, and something like 75Gb of sampled sounds. I like it.

In comparison, I'm about to try the Ketron SD2 Orchestral Wizard, as a hardware solution for other sounds (not piano), so it will be interesting to see how it compares. As I'm looking for a compact solution, it fits the bill OK, and I'm sure it will perform adequately, it's actually no slouch judging from the samples.
Have received the SD2.

Quite impressed for a unit of its size, and the price tag. Try doing that for the same $'s 20 years ago
Fifteen years ago I had the Edirol SD-20, by Roland. It was actually a similarly priced portable unit with great sounds. Peter Gannon used it to develop BIAB. But yes, the Ketron is an improvement, as is the Roland SD-50.
© PG Music Forums