PG Music Home
Posted By: krooner MME Vs ASIO - 11/29/13 07:36 PM
Hi all,
Can anyone please tell me why, using identical settings,the vocal recording levels differ so much; the level when using the MME seems about twice that of the ASIO.
Could it be the routing changes [newbie] smile ?

Cheers!
Kj
Posted By: Mac Re: MME Vs ASIO - 11/29/13 08:45 PM
What Sound Device in use?

Likely there are some internal settings somewhere in the sound device's routing, settings, or internal software mixers.

--Mac
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: MME Vs ASIO - 11/29/13 09:02 PM
You can do a few settings in BIAB for a device using the MME driver, but an ASIO device in my experience always comes with its own control panel program. There is more control but also more responsibility to find and adjust settings properly.

Over a myriad of related threads over the years, I think we have established that one good reason to use ASIO in BIAB is if you are recording and experiencing latency. Also, using MME in BIAB will always allow you to use ASIO in some other audio program like a DAW where it might make more of a difference. Of course, if the device manufacturer recommends ASIO then use that.
Posted By: krooner Re: MME Vs ASIO - 11/29/13 10:50 PM
Hi guys,
Thanks very much for the info.
The signal path is :-

condenser mic - preamp[RNP] - ADC1[Benchmark] optical connection - Audio interface [Edirol UA-101].

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm thinking the MME is by-passing the UA-101 control panel.

Cheers.
Keith
Posted By: rharv Re: MME Vs ASIO - 11/30/13 03:38 AM
Since the driver support page says 'This driver also supports ASIO' I wouldn't assume MME bypasses this. The fact they use 'also' tells me it supports MME (and/or WDM) also.

My M-audio drivers applet is in play regardlesss if whether using ASIO or MME.
Posted By: krooner Re: MME Vs ASIO - 12/02/13 12:50 PM
Just as a matter of interest;
I've since noticed that the audio setup using the MME driver, gives me the ADC benchmark input driver option,
whereas the ASIO driver doesn't.

So from this, and what's been suggested, I reckon this is the reason for the difference in recording levels.

Thanks again for the help.

Keith
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: MME Vs ASIO - 12/04/13 12:26 PM
I use ASIO with my Saffire interface and my interface has a control panel in software. I can set my input and output levels for default operations in that window.

Mostly, that control panel for the Saffire stays closed because once it's set, it doesn't change. And it can be set low or high.
© PG Music Forums