PG Music Home
Posted By: aceteleman Saving tracks containing added fx - 11/30/13 09:05 PM
I don't know if I'm missing something or what.

I added effects to a clean guitar track and it sounds great in the DAW (RB) but when I save the track to my computer and playback the track is clean again with no effects. What am I doing wrong???
Posted By: Mac Re: Saving tracks containing added fx - 12/01/13 02:03 AM
Hi aceteleman,

The first thing you are doing wrong is failing to identify what software in which you are having this problem.

Help us regulars to help you.

Listing also a step-by-step of what you are doing within that software that doesn't yield the desired result is also a big help, not only for us, but for you, as such info can help those in the know to solve it much faster.

--Mac
Posted By: rharv Re: Saving tracks containing added fx - 12/01/13 02:15 AM
He is using RB ^^

In RB 'saving' an audio track saves only the raw wave data.
Try soloing the track and using the 'Audio-Merge Audio and Dxi to file' command.
This includes the effects.

Saving = no effects just raw audio data
Merge = including the effects.
Posted By: aceteleman Re: Saving tracks containing added fx - 12/01/13 04:54 AM
Originally Posted By: Mac
Hi aceteleman,

The first thing you are doing wrong is failing to identify what software in which you are having this problem.

Help us regulars to help you.

Listing also a step-by-step of what you are doing within that software that doesn't yield the desired result is also a big help, not only for us, but for you, as such info can help those in the know to solve it much faster.

--Mac

First of all, I'm using Real Band as a DAW, like I said, and the effects I'm using are the PG effects built into Real Band. All I'm trying to do is save the track (file) to a folder on my computer for future reference. Don't know if that answers your question or not Mac.....
Posted By: aceteleman Re: Saving tracks containing added fx - 12/01/13 04:55 AM
Originally Posted By: rharv
He is using RB ^^

Try soloing the track and using the 'Audio-Merge Audio and Dxi to file' command.

Thanks, I'll give that a try....
Posted By: aceteleman Re: Saving tracks containing added fx - 12/01/13 04:59 AM
Originally Posted By: aceteleman
Originally Posted By: rharv
He is using RB ^^

Thanks, I'll give that a try....

Worked perfect, thanks again rharv, learn something new everyday, who says you can't teach an 'old dawg' new tricks, lol...
Posted By: Mac Re: Saving tracks containing added fx - 12/01/13 02:44 PM
My apologies, these tired old eyes and brain somehow missed your mention of RB up there.

Glad you got it sorted out, though,.

--Mac
Posted By: aceteleman Re: Saving tracks containing added fx - 12/01/13 05:54 PM
Originally Posted By: Mac
My apologies, these tired old eyes and brain somehow missed your mention of RB up there.

Glad you got it sorted out, though,.

--Mac

No problem Mac, I can relate, lol.....
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Saving tracks containing added fx - 12/04/13 12:36 PM
Working in a project I NEVER do a "process audio" function to save the FX to that track. Never. I always leave it as a plug in either in the track or the buss effecting that track.

The only exception to that hard and fast rule is Melodyne since it's not an effect but a fix of the track content to a more perfect state of being.

All the FX in the tracks and the busses get printed on export.

I'm no expert in RB as a DAW so all I can do is give the advice I know from using Sonar. If you want the FX printed to the track bounce it but keep the original clean track.

The reason I NEVER process the fx into the track is because in the final mix, what may have sounded perfectly good in a soloed track might be too much in the final mix. You can not undo what has been done with process audio or bounce to track/clip.
Posted By: Mac Re: Saving tracks containing added fx - 12/04/13 03:26 PM
"Never say, 'never'." *grin*

There are times when use of "destructive" effects can serve to help finish a project.

For example, let's say we've got a project that uses perhaps a few more tracks than "usual" - say, 32 tracks of Audio.

Sometimes loading realtime effects can tax the system, creating audio dropouts, timing glitches, etc.

If that is the case, Soloing one of the tracks with its applied realtime effects and routing the sound device such that the output is routed digitally and internally to an input, you can Arm a new track and record the effected track.

Then just keep the original track there, but muted without the Effect running in Realtime while the new track with effects recorded plays back.

Keeping the original track right there but muted in case you have to revisit those effects further down in the mixing.

If desired, you can even choose to Export that original track to be archived in a folder, in case it is needed again and you don't like seeing the muted track onscreen all the time. Then you can choose to Kill the original in the project file, yet have a backup just in case you have to bring it back in.

Of course, if the project size runs well with all effects applied on your setup, that's very nice and we don't have to go through the above stuff.

--Mac
Posted By: rharv Re: Saving tracks containing added fx - 12/05/13 12:37 AM
He was exporting a track to a wave file.
The original track was still in the original RB seq file .. unchanged.
So he had a backup.. probably a few in his RB backup folder

© PG Music Forums