PG Music Home
Posted By: Paul Haynes Melodyne Problem?? - 12/12/13 06:50 PM
Trying to register on Melodyne Forum but it won't accept any of my security answers in the registration process? Now I'm blocked for a while. I've sent an email to support but in the mean time maybe someone here can help?

I've just got my Rode K2 Mic. Quickly recorded a vocal track and needed some Melodyne correction. However, I'm finding that on some tracks when opened up in Melodyne, the blobs seem all over the place and other vocals seem quite tidy. On this song im doing I've already spend a lot of time from a vocal track recorded from my dynamic mic and the blobs are normal and tidy. I've now rerecorded same track on my Rode K2 and in Melodyne the blobs are all over the place. Seems also that it's created alot more blobs and some are on top of each other? The other thing is my voice sound nice without melodyne correction in terms of texture and tone but as soon as I change even one blob, the change sounds artificial even though the correction is only slight?

Ive had this problem a few times and don't know whats causing it. Is it just Melodyne? Anyone had this problem before?

Where blobs appear ontop of each other the sound is doubled. yet if one is deleted there is something missing in the sound. Somehow Melodyne has split sound frequencies and created two blobs for one sound phrase.
Posted By: Paul Haynes Re: Melodyne Problem?? - 12/12/13 10:10 PM
Sorted! Turns out Melodyne was using a "Polyphonic" algorithm instead of "Melodic". Quick settings change and all fixed. Few!
Posted By: PgFantastic Re: Melodyne Problem?? - 02/27/14 08:15 AM
A tip on the pitch correction on melodyne, IF YOU USE IT ONLY CHANGE A VOCAL BY A VERY SMALL PERCENT Never more than 20%, this will still at times cause unnatural sounding notes; instead of using the pitch correction tool, follow these steps**

1.go to edit/2. go to edit note seperation/ 3.then click: set as trill; the note should be cut into different sections after this step if not/4. repeat steps 1-2 and then click set as slide, if after this the note still does not change it is tuned for the song/5. go to the next note and continue steps 1-4 until you have done the entire set of notes one by one. What this does is tunes to the vocal and not to bring it to perfect pitch this gives natural tuning, it takes a little bit of time to do, but is far better than the correct pitch tool. The reason the correct pitch tool causes problems is it tries to drag everything to perfect pitch according to a set scale, which may sound good on one note but then cause the robotic or unnatural sound on the next. Also as you have sang a song you have weaved in an out vocally sliding and trilling and the speed of which you do these things keeps you in tune. By using set as trill, and set as slide, it tunes the vocal according to how the song was actually sang; it puts it in perfect pitch according to the singer not according to the scale. Once you hit trill or slide and the note is cut into sections, click on the beginning of the note and all parts of the note that were changed will be highlighted, scroll until you get to the next unhighlighted note and continue this process through the whole song. I hope that this helps, let me know if you have anymore questions.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Melodyne Problem?? - 02/27/14 12:47 PM
Melodyne Editor (ME) should start by default in the mono mode. It always pays to double check if the blobs are indicating something else.

They do look different in the poly mode. The overtones and harmonics are sometimes strong enough that poly picks them up as individual notes. Switch the mode to mono and it will recalculate automatically.

My personal experience: I used to use the "auto correct mode" because I figured ME would do the work for me and save me a bunch of time. Not True. Auto mode will sometimes "fix" something the wrong way and it's very hard to undo it later, especially if you have been making other edits in the mean time. Plus, I never did an auto correct that I didn't have to spend significant time editing because ME didn't guess correctly.

You should always use the manual mode and go through a vocal track one phrase section at a time, working slowly and methodically to nail every section before moving to the next. Every few minutes take 3 seconds to click save. It is amazing all the things that can be fixed and corrected when you work in the manual mode and take your time doing it.

I'll probably never use the auto mode again.
Posted By: KVLR Re: Melodyne Problem?? - 04/21/17 12:08 PM
Hello guys.

I had a similar issue. It turned out that it was noise from my PC. Well that's what i think anyway. Moved the mic to a different room and the problem ceased. Didn't have to change any settings at all. Do you find that the blobs are a little "flangey"?
© PG Music Forums