PG Music Home
Posted By: MarioD USB 2 or 3 audio interfaces? - 12/16/13 02:45 PM
I found this USB 2 vs USB 3 audio interface article and thought that I would share it: http://www.hitsquad.com/news2/audio-interface-usb2-vs-usb3/
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: USB 2 or 3 audio interfaces? - 12/16/13 03:54 PM
Thanks Mario. I'm surprised anyone now offers a 3.0 audio interface. This is the first I've seen.
Posted By: CeeBee Re: USB 2 or 3 audio interfaces? - 12/17/13 02:55 PM
With a $2,783 price tag crazy shocked
Posted By: Mac Re: USB 2 or 3 audio interfaces? - 12/17/13 05:07 PM

Read and understand the math, then realize WHY such is not needed.

--Mac
Posted By: Jeff S Re: USB 2 or 3 audio interfaces? - 12/17/13 06:57 PM
The other issue is that certain usb 2.0 interfaces dont function well through a usb 3.0 port. ie Presonus 1818 which I have and can verify. I built my dedicated audio computer with a motherboard that was heavy with 3.0 ports thinking faster is better. I have to plug my interface into the 2.0 usb on the front of my case. It works and the interface is great but wish I knew 3.0 wasn't that important in audio when I built it.

If I build again I will try to stay with 2.0 however the balance of 2.0 to 3.0 usb ports is flipping to favor the 3.0 speed.
Posted By: MarioD Re: USB 2 or 3 audio interfaces? - 12/17/13 07:38 PM
Jeff, have you ever considered a PCI USB2 card? I have one in my music computer. It works great and it was very inexpensive.

You will like those USB3 ports if you get an external 1-3 TB USB3 hard drive! I use my USB3 ports for back up external HDs.

Posted By: Mac Re: USB 2 or 3 audio interfaces? - 12/17/13 09:30 PM
Originally Posted By: Jeff S
The other issue is that certain usb 2.0 interfaces dont function well through a usb 3.0 port. ie Presonus 1818 which I have and can verify. I built my dedicated audio computer with a motherboard that was heavy with 3.0 ports thinking faster is better. I have to plug my interface into the 2.0 usb on the front of my case. It works and the interface is great but wish I knew 3.0 wasn't that important in audio when I built it.

If I build again I will try to stay with 2.0 however the balance of 2.0 to 3.0 usb ports is flipping to favor the 3.0 speed.

Maybe you could find a USB 2 card for the backside of it?

--Mac
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: USB 2 or 3 audio interfaces? - 12/17/13 11:33 PM
Jeff,

Have you looked into PreSonus specifications for USB ports? With their Firewire based interfaces, they eventually came out that they only worked well with TI chipsets for Firewire.

I built my desktop and purchased IBM ThinkPad Z61M around the TI chipset. Desktop became the family computer and the Thinkpad MOBO died in full about 2 years ago. Firewire on PC lappys is pretty rare these days - ended up selling my FireBox as a result.

This admission by PreSonus did not exist in product specs, but posted by their tech support in user forums. I don't know if there is something similar with USB 3 ports or not. Have you haunted PreSonus tech support forums on this matter?
Posted By: Mac Re: USB 2 or 3 audio interfaces? - 12/18/13 01:54 AM
The way I understand it, Scott, the Firewire chipset thing and the USB3 thing are two different issues entirely.

BTW Presonus was not the only mfr of Firewire solutions that specified the Texas Instruments firewire chipset only. There were others as well. The Firewire fiasco was caused by designers who mistakenly thought that the only thing folks needed to hook up to Firewire was consumer still cameras and such. D'oh!

--Mac
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: USB 2 or 3 audio interfaces? - 12/18/13 02:40 AM
Originally Posted By: Mac
The way I understand it, Scott, the Firewire chipset thing and the USB3 thing are two different issues entirely.

You are probably right. However I believe it would still be valuable to asks on the Presonus forums about it. I found other issues with my Firebox that were only confirmed with other users on their forums. Two cases and points: bleed from headphone channel into input channels and a very high pitched whine that would show up in recordings. Presonus tech staff eventually admitted to these on the forums. I didn't find out about them until my warranty had expired.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: USB 2 or 3 audio interfaces? - 12/18/13 07:39 PM
Thanks for sharing the article. It answered a question that's been rolling around in my head for awhile. Also excellent links at the bottom of the article. Worth taking the time to read.
Posted By: Jeff S Re: USB 2 or 3 audio interfaces? - 12/18/13 08:38 PM
A PCI usb 2 card is a good option I hadn't explored. The interface works fine in the front port and since the port is on top of the case I can keep the cable out of the way.

Presonus is very much aware of the 3.0 issue. Their forum is loaded with complaints. Some believe it is a certain chipset issue on the motherboard but I don't know. Both PC and Mac platforms have issues. Presonus did issue a response to the issue and pretty much said use 2.0. So I am and it works. Some others are still having issues though. I had the smaller unit (2x2)and didn't have any issues at all which is why I stayed with the same brand and model. I gave that to my son when I upgraded and he won't give it back go figure.

Anyways thanks for the PCI card idea, I'll have to look in my spare parts box I may just have one from an older system laying around.
© PG Music Forums