PG Music Home
Hi Team

I currently use the configuration in the first image below for playing live. BIAB/RB runs on a separate laptop computer to Ivory, and as shown, Ivory has no direct interface to BIAB/RB. Everything arrives together at the mixer.

I recorded Midi Piano data from the keyboard directly into BIAB, with the setup shown in the second image.

I now want to play back from BIAB/RB using the piano midi data now going to Ivory, and the other midi data going to the Ketron. I understand that RB handles multiple Midi outputs, bit am unclear on exactly how to connect that Midi out from RB into Ivory using the existing hardware and interfaces that I have. I suspect I need another USB to Midi connected back-to-back or similar? Is there a way to do this with the equipment I have listed?

Thanks

Attached picture BIAB-Ivory-Mixer-Config.jpg
Attached picture BIAB-Mixer-Config.jpg
Attached picture BIAB-Mixer-ConfigReqmnts.jpg
You are correct in thinking that you only have one MIDI connect to PC at this time.

However, instead of picking up a second single channel MIDI USB connect, I would recommend that you get a single USB connect that has at least TWO MIDI channels built into it.

There can be conflicts that cannot be gotten around when attempting to use two different single channel MIDI devices at the same time, best avoided by getting one device designed to do the job.

--Mac
Originally Posted By: Mac
You are correct in thinking that you only have one MIDI connect to PC at this time.

However, instead of picking up a second single channel MIDI USB connect, I would recommend that you get a single USB connect that has at least TWO MIDI channels built into it.

There can be conflicts that cannot be gotten around when attempting to use two different single channel MIDI devices at the same time, best avoided by getting one device designed to do the job.

--Mac

Thanks Mac
Great idea. Any brands/models come to mind that have been used successfully with BiaB/RB?
Trevor
Here is the unit I use a lot, a little long in the tooth by today's standards, but has been rock solid here and has good driver support so far.

I just checked the M-Audio Support webpage and it reports drivers available for every Windows OS from XP to Win8, that's good. Also Supports drivers for a host of Mac OS's as well, future-proof.

Avoid a device that uses Windoze Plug 'n Play "no separate driver needed" or Class Compliant for this purpose. They can be trouble when trying to use more than one MIDI channel at a time.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboards...e#productDetail

Between you and me, I gave up on using Software sound solutions in the live environment. All it takes is a power bump to put you out of the show, waiting for a PC to reboot. And then you may find a bluescreen. I stick to Hardware MIDI solutions for the live work, and the difference in sound is not all that apparent then anyway. It is more important to me to be able to play the gig at all times. Using a keyboard that has its own internal piano sounds as backup, firing an offboard MIDI hardware solution that sounds better, such as the Ketron, always gives me an instant backup solution. Matter of fact, both the Audio out of the keyboard's sounds AND the Audio Out of the Ketron go to two different channels on my keyboard amp mixer, allowing me to just reach over and move two faders to bop from one sound to the other. Sometimes I bring up BOTH to get a layered mix without having to resort to fiddling with MIDI commands, as well. For example, the good old Yamaha C-1 Concert Grand Sample that is used in many Yamaha pianos and keyboards, when mixed with a slightly lowered volume from the Ketron SD2's Grand Piano, is a really full sound (once you get inside the Yamaha keyboard and reset the Touch curve appropriately, which in my case us usually DOWN from the default sensitivity to avoid the bang-bang that Yamaha's typically send...)

--Mac
An M-Audio interface, plus the 2X2, gives me 3 outs.

Plus I have driven the hardware sequencer from the RB clock to have a couple more outs .. just took copying the .mid file to the sequencer .. and syncing them. The sequencer has a built in sound source, so in effect it gives me a couple more sources, considering the routing options on it.

We live in very good times ... MIDI routing is cheap.
Thanks RHarv, great tip!
I'll certainly explore that.
Regards
Trevor
I like to stay with hardware outboard gear, other than BB/RB running on my laptop with Windows 8.1...

so I have three 2X2's AND
a Kawai MAV-8 midi rack unit where I can manually toggle one of three 'ins' and eight midi outs. Very reasonably priced hardware in the old days...but, with THIS MENAGERIE...
© PG Music Forums