PG Music Home
I'm having a serious problem with recording of BIAB songs with real tracks as regards noise--frequent episodic pops and crackling. Of course latency is the first issue to look at so I've been tweaking the sample rate in my RME babyface, but that doesn't seem to have much effect. The tracks I am making are very simple backing tracks for live gigs--not elaborate, but they have to be recorded all together for simplicities sake. I'm hoping that I won't have to throw each individual track into Cubase to deal with this issue. Any ideas are welcome.
Have you run the free utility, DPC Latency Checker? This will very quickly identify if your system has any drivers, such as from wireless networking, that interfere with digital audio.

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

Report back if it shows you are OK. If not, the website gives some good tips. Even if you have Windows 8 or 8.1, run this anyway.

If that doesn't help, more info about your system would be helpful, as well as the settings you chose in BIAB such as ASIO or MME, using hardware or software synth, etc. Are the clicks and pops actually recorded onto the track? And, does Cubase work OK when recording?
Thank you, Matt. I'm going to download that program on my music computer. I'll look at the other issues you suggest. I can see that I need to follow the wires (so to speak) and isolate where the problem exists.
For simple recording, try MME drivers (as latency wouldn't matter) and they tend to be more stable. When using MME there is usually no sense in tweaking latency settings.

If ASIO is required, then settings on all devices become more relevant.
Quote:
I'm having a serious problem with recording of BIAB songs with real tracks ..

How exactly are you trying 'recording of BIAB songs with real tracks'?
Your initial question leaves me puzzled. You should be able to render the BiaB file without concern for MME/ASIO
If you are actually 'recording' tracks you may want to try Realband instead.
© PG Music Forums