PG Music Home
Posted By: TuneMonger Good vocal mic for Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 - 11/27/14 01:22 AM
Took me a while but I took the consensus recommendation here and finally found a good deal on eBay for a Scarlett 6i6. Just came today, haven't even hooked it up. So now I'm on to a mic. For those of you that have a Scarlett, is there a good vocal mic you can recommend? I know anyone who asks that question gets told that it depends on the singer. Well, the two main singers I'll be recording will be a male friend with a soft tenor (Beatle-ish sounding to me) and my own intentionally gruff but thin voice (a bluesier Bob Dylan, some have said). I sorta add the roughness to it as a way to hide the fact that I'm not much of a singer. I have a Studio Projects B-1 which is an LDC, and a vintage Shure 533sa that looks like an SM58 but with a hi-z connector. I'd like to buy a dynamic that my preamps will drive comfortably. I've read that pushing the Scarlett preamps isn't a good idea. I also have a mostly untreated room, that's my reason for a dynamic mic. The ones I'm considering are: Shure SM7B, EV RE20, Heil PR40 and Sennheiser MD421. If I knew which of these is easiest to drive, that would help. Any other thoughts or mic recommendations, I'm all ears, and thanks again to those here that share their wisdom!
Try your B-1. It will be great. Nice mic, and if you want to turn down some of the 'air' just roll the highs off a little with EQ.

No need to buy anything else. The MD-421 is a great dynamic mic, and I had unhindered access to the model II version for about 5 years before I moved out of state and returned it to my church that never used it.

I have a Scarlett 18i8 and I'm guessing the pre-amps are similar. They have plenty of gain for my cheapo LDC as well as an EV PL80a (which I like plenty as a bit hotter than an SM57/58) and an EV SRO RE11 (old school mic - I need to get a clip for it) and the Scarlett 18i8 works fine with all of them.

I used to use my LDC (CAD M-177) almost exclusively for vocals, but I've found that the EV PL80a is much more forgiving for crummy room acoustics and I even like to use it on my acoustic guitar - though it's marketed as a vocal mic.

I think you will like the B-1 just fine with the Scarlett. What did you use before with the B-1?
First off.... congrats on getting a Focusrite. Second... don't worry about the preamps....

Focusrite has a reputation for having stellar preamps in their interfaces.

My suggestion would be to use the condenser mic for vocals and acoustic instruments and use the dynamic for miking electric cabinets.

Just dig in and start working with the Scarlett and don't worry about the preamps... they will handle what you put into them just fine.

I've never had a problem with overloading them..... not once.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Good vocal mic for Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 - 11/27/14 10:01 AM
"Try your B-1. It will be great. Nice mic, and if you want to turn down some of the 'air' just roll the highs off a little with EQ."

What Scott said. I have both a C1 and a T3 (tube). Both are great mics, although the T3 blows the C1 away.

Or, you could save up for one of these:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/U87SetZ

It's on my bucket list. grin

Regards,

Bob
Thanks again, guys. Good to know my current mics may work, and also that the Scarlett can handle a mic that needs a lot of gain. The SM7B has been at the top of my list, and it's gain-hungry, so I hear. I might try a good old SM57, because besides being a workhorse, it's a pretty good harmonica mic, too. Thanks all, again!

Bob
On my Focusrite interface, I have my gain set at about 4 to 5 for my vocals and guitar input levels. It doesn't matter if it's my Rode condenser or my Shure SM58, I generally don't have to change the gain if I swap mics out.

The Focusrite preamps are good, plenty of available gain, so I think you'll be OK running just about any mic you want.

Let us know how it works.
Congrats on the purchase BeelzeBob. I've had my 6i6 for about 6 months now and no issues at all with sound quality. I also like the Scarlett MixControl software, "mmmm pretty lights".
Bob, for the money, the SM-57 is unbeatable. I've used one for decades. It doubles as a tack-hammer, it's that rugged!

My understanding is that the SM-58 uses the same element but yields a better response curve for vocals.

Chet Atkins; Emmylou Harris; Mark Knophler; et al, who could easily afford any mic made, chose SM-57s for this concert. Convinced me.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Good vocal mic for Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 - 12/02/14 05:41 PM
"...Good to know my current mics may work..."

Your B1 will work - quite well for vocals, acoustic instruments, and amp cabs. You don't need another mic, unless you don't like the sound of your voice on the B1 - and that's a different kettle of fish.
© PG Music Forums