PG Music Home
Posted By: cklester 3/2 Time - 09/30/15 12:42 AM
How would I go about building a song in 3/2 time?
Posted By: dcuny Re: 3/2 Time - 09/30/15 12:48 AM
The same way you'd go about building a song in 3/4 time, only treat the quarter note beat as a half note.
Posted By: cklester Re: 3/2 Time - 09/30/15 11:42 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
The same way you'd go about building a song in 3/4 time, only treat the quarter note beat as a half note.

I wish I understood what you just said. I was hoping I could just put "3/2" somewhere and enter the chords. X)

Uh. David Cuny? Of Euphoria programming fame? Among other things... This cannot be... LOL!

EDIT: It is you!!!! Wow.
Posted By: dcuny Re: 3/2 Time - 10/01/15 03:38 AM
Hey, small world! Good to run into you here. laugh

Which reminds me... It's been about a decade since I've updated my web page. I should get around to that at some point.

Anyhoo, I obviously didn't explain this well.

The time signature 3/2 means that you've got 3 beats per measure, and each beat is notated as a half note.

The time signature 3/4 means that you've got 3 beats per measure, and each beat is notated as a quarter note.

The only difference between 3/2 and 3/4 is one of notation. The two pieces of music above sound exactly the same.

In contrast, 6/8 time is not reducible to 3/4. The numerator indicates that there are 6 pulses to the measure, so changing to 3/4 would change the basic unit of pulse from 6 pulses per bar to 3 pulses per bar.

So if you're asking how you would build a song in 3/2 time in BiaB, you'd do it by dividing the duration of each note in half, and notating it in 3/4 time.

Did that make sense?
Posted By: cklester Re: 3/2 Time - 10/01/15 12:25 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Did that make sense?

Perfect! Thank you.
Posted By: cklester Re: 3/2 Time - 10/01/15 12:27 PM
As a follow-up, somewhat related to this thread, why would someone choose to notate in 3/2 time instead of 3/4 time? Is it just a matter of artist preference? Does one time signature provide for something the other does not?
Posted By: dcuny Re: 3/2 Time - 10/01/15 03:26 PM
You'd (hopefully) pick the notation that allows the performer to give the best performance.

One reason for 3/2 would be that the song is slow, and seeing half notes helps the performer feel the tempo correctly. This is where I've seen it used.

Another reason might be for readability, if you decided that is was more playable without the performer having to decode a whole bunch of 64th notes.
© PG Music Forums