PG Music Home
I am looking for two specific things to have a little fun with.

1st-a free vst arpeggiator. Just looking to have a bit of this flair in a few projects I'm working on.

2nd-A source for those late 80's early 90's percussion sounds that were called "air wrench" or "air hits" at one point. I'm sure they were called other things as well.

Examples are in this song (and MANY others)

Air Wrench

Any help greatly appreciated! smile
Carron, google/bing free vst arpeggiator and you will find a lot of them. I have no practical experience with any of them but you should find one that will enhance your workflow.

I can't really help with the "air hits" but it may be tuned claves with some sort of reverb on them.
Google search for the wave file...special effects air wrench free file.....

Trust me, someone somewhere has recorded one and has it posted.

When I did my tune with the reved up engine in it, I searched "free reved car"

http://www.soundsnap.com/tags/impact_wrench
Quote:
Carron, google/bing free vst arpeggiator and you will find a lot of them. I have no practical experience with any of them but you should find one that will enhance your workflow.

Hey Mario, thanks for the reply. I did that initially, BUT always prefer to ask here first to avoid d/ling something harmful.

Quote:
I can't really help with the "air hits" but it may be tuned claves with some sort of reverb on them.

I'm getting close to remembering what drum machine had them, but don't off hand. I may have to do as you suggested and "build" it.

Thanks Mario!
Quote:
Google search for the wave file...special effects air wrench free file.....

Trust me, someone somewhere has recorded one and has it posted.

I started there, and found many of them. But they aren't the electric drum kind from that era. They are literal air wrenches, which I may have to mold into what I need.

I wish they wouldn't have named the electronic effect the same as an actual tool!

Quote:
When I did my tune with the reved up engine in it, I searched "free reved car"

It's pretty amazing what's out there. I actually had a client that wanted some "sensual moans" and I found them. I had to make sure my kids were nowhere in earshot as some of them were WAY over the top! eek Not the ones I used, but some of the samples as I was searching.

Thanks Herb!
Hey, you could sample the intro to Van Halen's "Poundcake". wink
Well I played around a little bit and figure out how to pretty much make the air wrench sound I was looking for.

My Attempt at Air Wrench Sound

Now onto Van Halen...lol. Nice!

Working on the arpeggiator next.
HTL,

I have to admit, my first thought was to suggest you visit an automotive tire changing shop with a digital recorder in hand.

What kind of an answer do you expect when you ask a good ol' southern boy raised in the middle of NASCAR land a question like that? grin
Originally Posted By: JimFogle
HTL,

I have to admit, my first thought was to suggest you visit an automotive tire changing shop with a digital recorder in hand.

What kind of an answer do you expect when you ask a good ol' southern boy raised in the middle of NASCAR land a question like that? grin

I would expect none other!

It always bothered me "back in the day" that they termed it that on the modules. It was NOT by any means the first thing I thought of when I heard it.

After a bit of listening to the sound, I was a bit more like "Um...ok, I sort of see it" never thinking years (decades) I may need to find the sound...and use the term!

Thanks for the reply! I got a good smile out of it!
© PG Music Forums