PG Music Home
Posted By: Paul Haynes Focusrite VRM Box - Discontinued! - 01/03/16 11:02 AM
Installed BIAB on my laptop due to my PC being in my office rather than my home. So I'm setting things up including my VRM Box only to discover it's no longer on the Focusrite website and it looks like it's been discontinued! Now whilst I am still using my laptop and PC I don't have any problems but in the future I will because there's no driver support for USB 3.0 in VRM Box. So once I upgrade my computers and all USB's change to USB 3.0 my VRM Box will become absolutely useless!

Anyone know about this and know of a similar product on the market that can replace it?

I think it's pretty bad of Focusrite to end such a great and unique product and not address the issues which I'm sure they could.

Thanks
Paul
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Focusrite VRM Box - Discontinued! - 01/03/16 11:06 AM
It's possible it is discontinued for precisely the reason you state: to build the next generation that runs on USB 3.0. Or maybe USB type C.

But did you try it? I have yet to encounter a USB 2 audio device that didn't run in my USB 3 ports.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Focusrite VRM Box - Discontinued! - 01/09/16 03:07 PM
I've got the VRM Box, and really like it. I think they discontinued it over a year ago. I have no idea why - it's really helpful for mixing. The only thing I wish it had is a "car stereo" simulator, which is where my mixes really fall apart.

Beyerdynamic offers a free room simulator, which isn't quite the same thing, but could prove useful.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Focusrite VRM Box - Discontinued! - 01/09/16 03:42 PM
Let's see, a car simulator would need to add wind noise, tire whine, muffled highs, extreme stereo separation, lots of sound reflection off glass, background chatting, the occasional scream, and randomly-timed complaints like "Are we there yet?". It would also substitute silence for all bass solos.

Sure, I'd buy that to simulate real listening conditions.

[EDIT: the free VST2 plugin David linked to above actually does include a Car simulator! It's horrible sounding, of course, like listening while wearing your Russian winter hat. There is also a simulated surround-sound setting, and a large hall filled with reverb that I would have called "Empty Gymnasium", as well as a 'normal' setting (Off) they call 'studio'. Kinda fun, very extreme sonic changes, easy to use.]
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Focusrite VRM Box - Discontinued! - 01/09/16 04:52 PM
Paul, I just connected my VRM box to a USB 3.0 port in Windows 10, and it was recognized fine.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Focusrite VRM Box - Discontinued! - 01/10/16 07:55 PM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
It would also substitute silence for all bass solos.

So it improves the music?

Quote:
the free VST2 plugin David linked to above actually does include a Car simulator!

Sounds cool, gotta try it! laugh
© PG Music Forums