PG Music Home
Posted By: pedwards2932 Sonic Cell vs SampleTank - 02/21/16 10:41 AM
I have a Roland Sonic Cell that I bought to use with my guitar synth and found it didn't work that well. I also have the complete IK Workstation. It has a lot of good sounds but some are lacking. Does anybody have any experience with the Sonic Cell...as I remember it was pretty frustrating to program from a guitarist perspective. If you have the Sonic Cell would you consider the sounds superior to SampleTank and how easy is it to integrate with BIAB?
Posted By: MarioD Re: Sonic Cell vs SampleTank - 02/21/16 11:02 AM
I just looked at the Sonic Cell specs and it should work with a MIDI guitar controller. If you could give some more specs on how you are using it maybe I can help you get it up and running. It is important to know exactly how you are connecting everything, such as where are you plugging in your controller, DAW, BiaB or directly into Sonic Cell? How is Sonic Cell connected to your computer? Things like that are very helpful.

Which Sampletank are you thinking about, the free 32 bit version that is the version that is shipped with BiaB or the 64 bit new Version 3. If you are thinking about version 3 then instead of buying it I would get Kontakt. IMHO Kontakt is a much better purchase, sound wise and patch wise as there are many third party companies making patches for it. You might want to look into the free Kontakt Player as a starting point.

Just remember that these softsynths are not GM so you have to select what sound you want for each MIDI track, i.e. it is not automatic like GM.

PS-if you get a 64 bit soft synth you will need to buy jBridge to get them to work in 32 bit programs like BiaB and RB.
Posted By: pedwards2932 Re: Sonic Cell vs SampleTank - 02/21/16 12:09 PM
I have the 32 bit version....Workstation Bundle version so it has all the IK Multimedia sounds. The Sonic Cell works fine with my guitar synth.....latency is not great and once I got the GR55 it became redundant as I like all the sounds plus guitar modeling the GR55 provides. I was thinking more of using the Sonic Cell as sound module for the midi files in BIAB. The Sonic Cell was a bit cranky to set up and I was just trying to see if anyone here is using it as a sound module with BIAB and how it compares with the IK Multimedia soft synths.
© PG Music Forums