PG Music Home
Posted By: Skyline What are the 'jazz' chords here? - 08/06/16 06:54 AM
I want to unpick this song for our trio, and as we don't have a keyboard player I'm struggling to figure out the nice piano chords being used. It's a lovely version of Human League's 'Don't You Want Me' done in a smoky jazz style:-
'Don't You Want Me' - Stella Starlight Trio

I wonder if there's a kind keyboard player out there that could help me with what chords are being played? The Human League used basic chords, per the lead sheet I've done:-
'Don't You want Me' Lead Sheet
It sounds to me like major seventh chords are being used as well as other inversions.

I tried putting it through BIAB's WAV file chord interpreter but it didn't seem to do well; perhaps because of the combination of all the sounds on the whole YT track.

Any help would be very gratefully received!
smile
Regards
John
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: What are the 'jazz' chords here? - 08/07/16 12:57 AM
Here's what the ACW calculated for the Stella Starlight Trio version when I ran it. Key - C Tempo 100

Attached picture Don't You Want Me.JPG
Attached picture Don't You Want Me_1.JPG
Attached picture Don't You Want Me_2.JPG
Posted By: Skyline Re: What are the 'jazz' chords here? - 08/07/16 05:02 AM
Thanks Charlie. Yes, I also got that but when I played along I found a lot more minor 7 and major 7 chords seemed to be being played than shown by the chord interpreter. I'll wrap a wet towel around my head and keep trying!

John
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: What are the 'jazz' chords here? - 08/07/16 09:12 AM
John, you can see some of the major seventh chords are being used as well as other inversions in the ACW as it plays through the song. The ACW defaults its output to BIAB to two chords per measure so those extras are dropped out.

Once you have your chord chart in BIAB with two chords per measure, you can manually add an additional two chords per measure to make the chord chart more complex.

You can save the first chord chart sgu file, open a new file and run the song through the ACW again, pausing along the way and record the bar number, inversion, sus chord or major 7th that the ACW did pick up but did not keep for the output. That should be helpful as the song structure is very repetitive so seeing an inversion in one section, the same inversion or 7th chord is likely used in similar sections of the song. Any rests, shots and holds throughout the song would need to add manually as the ACW does not pick those up. I noticed a few.

Choosing the best Realstyle for the song can be helpful also. I found that some of the jazz styles included minor/major 7ths and inversions on their own the little while I played with the chart.
© PG Music Forums