PG Music Home
Create Your Own Virtual Instruments with SFZ Files
Very interesting article, Mike. Thanks for posting it.

Noel
That is interesting and good to see that PG picked the editor of choice: Sforzando.

Jeff
I have posted this elsewhere. When testing the sForzando I made a sfz for a Realdrums drum kit inside it. This is pretty easy to do and has great potential.

This addition to BiaB/RB is much welcomed here.
It answers one of my personal requests in the wishlist; a plugin that can use our RD samples triggered by MIDI.

/on to the next dream step; having some RDs already made into SFZ files .. and installed with the plugin.
//imagine being able to say "I want this RD 'sound' but I want it to play this pattern here" ..
A few years back I created some drum kits out of free drum samples I found around the net. I made these for Cakewalks Session Drummer 2 & 3 because that was, and still is, my drum sampler of choice because of it's simplicity. smile

If you are interested you can grab the 7 OIM SFZ Studio Kits from HERE. The file size is 147.85. Included in the zip folder is a PDF that has all the information that you will need about where the samples came from and how to set them up.

Enjoy! cool
Great find pghboemike - thank you for posting this here!
Originally Posted By: Callie - PG Music
Great find pghboemike - thank you for posting this here!

Agree. Plus 1 find.

Charlie
Agree good article but just slightly dated wink

In the "free" category rgc Audio's (latter supplied by cakewalk ) sfz & sfz+ are no longer available likewise Alchemy Player.

We all know that Sforzando, while an excellent SFZ player, is not multitimbral.

However, there was a thread awhile back (around or just before holidays) on this very topic (SFZ/SF2 soundfont players) and I think it was MarioD, if not apologies to whomever pointed it out, that TX16Wx is a multitimbral player

http://www.tx16wx.com/

Coincidentally I got an announcement, or email (?) yesterday from KVR about an update of Synthfont 2 (which is not free) but it reminded me it there IS AFREE version of as well as a FREE VST plugin version (32 or 64 bit)

http://www.synthfont.com/Downloads.html

Additionally, anyone who has Garritan CAN import/convert SF2/sfz's but while it is multitimbral- you have to manually assign a sound to each channel - so you cannot load a GM SF2/SFZ once and have BIAB, RB or PT "automagically" pick the correct sound per channel/part/track like a the aforementioned apps.

Also if you have Garritan you probably have better sounds on tap anyway.

I'll have to look but I think there are some other multitimbral SF2 players around if I remember or find them I'll update.

Larry

It would be appreciated if you tippers would tell us in advance when your suggestions are platform-specific before we start chasing after links which then are of no use. Case in point, most of the above are PC only.
This thread somewhat relates to this discussion. Because it was posted in the "for Mac" section, it may have got missed by the bulk of you: http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=385793

All of the links are non platform-exclusive, i.e. they contain goods for PC and Mac alike.
© PG Music Forums