PG Music Home
Posted By: Dazz Using Ardour and BIAB - 32 bit or 64 bit ? - 01/23/17 06:59 AM
I am just about to set up some software on a PC for a home studio. I have BIAB and Realband, and have used Ardour (DAW) under linux, so I want to install a Windows version on the same PC as BIAB.

Apparently there is a choice to be made, 32 bit vs 64 bit. BIAB is still 32 bit right? If I install the 32 bit version, will that mean I can share VST plugins with BIAB? If that is not a real advantage, I guess I'd rather install the 64 bit version. So some advice would be appreciated.
You can install the 64 bit version and purchase Jbridge, which is software that 'bridges' 64 bit products to 32 bit BIAB.

I understand it works seamlessly and provides users access to all their 64 bit products with BIAB/RB. I have not checked, but Jbridge use to be available either from their website or here from PGMusic.

Charlie
Dazz,

If Ardour shares its plugins, the 32 bit Ardour plugins may be compatible with BIAB. With 64 bit Ardour, if you have jbridge ($10 from PG Music), the 64 bit plugins could be used if compatible.

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about the plugins. If you mix your final tracks in a DAW, it would be much better to export the audio from BIAB without any effects or panning and then add these in Ardour. It is easier and more efficient doing it this way.

With that in mind, I'd install the 64 bit version.

(I use Reaper 64 bit and rarely use effects in BIAB. I do all that in Reaper.)

Register
Noel
Dazz,

Like Noel myself and many if not most all of us export BiaB tracks to our DAWs. I myself do very little work in BiaB and most of my work in Sonar, my DAW while others use RealBand. Some workflows are BiaB, Realband, then our DAW.

As Noel indicated install the 64 bit version of Ardour and bring your BiaB tracks over to it to finish your song. This is the best workflow IMHO. YMMV
Posted By: Dazz Re: Using Ardour and BIAB - 32 bit or 64 bit ? - 01/23/17 07:51 PM
Thanks everyone. That makes it easy.
Posted By: jford Re: Using Ardour and BIAB - 32 bit or 64 bit ? - 01/24/17 06:28 PM
Dazz -

Not to hijack your thread, but how do you like Ardour? I know it's open source (but not free). I took a look at the website and it looks intriguing, but just wondered about its viability (especially since I read comments that seemed to indicate the dollars coming in aren't enough to justify the programming costs associated with continued development). Wasn't sure if those comments were definitive or just opinion/conjecture.
jford, I have used Ardour on Linux off & on for years, and the newest version under windows, and feel that the Linux version is more stable.

Harrison's Mixbus is based on Ardour, so I feel that Ardour might be around for awhile more. But most developers ARE asking for $$$ in all areas of the Free Software world, be it Linux, BSD, Mac, or Windows because it DOES take time & effort to code this stuff.

Ardour is laid out like ProTools, so if you are comfortable in that environment you will like Ardour.

I support a few folks, but very few....the biggest is the Xfce Desktop Environment.
Posted By: jford Re: Using Ardour and BIAB - 32 bit or 64 bit ? - 01/26/17 01:27 PM
Thanks, jcspro. I think I'll download the demo and give it a try. $45 isn't too expensive should I decide to go with it.
Ardour is good you can load the BB video in it, in Win & Mac.

© PG Music Forums