PG Music Home
I'm missing something, somewhere. I've looked at the manual and youtubed. (I have the Reaper licensed version and it's up to date.)

In Reaper, I want to change an existing wav file track from its current 163bpm to 170bpm. I've tried just reseting the Project Settings in Project BPM (as a test) test 50.000 and 200.000, Timebase for items/env/markers to Time, and the next Timebase for tempo/time sig envelope to Time. (In case this helps - Proj start time: 0:00.000, Set 0.00 to edit cursor, and Project start measure: 1. Playback resample mode: Medium).

All the instructions (manual/youtube) seem very simple, either changing the proj bpm to whatever, 50bpm for example, or inserting a Tempo/Time Signature Marker. But, I don't get results. The playback tempo is still 163bpm, and song play length is unchanged.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

P.S. I am aware that the pitch setting needs to be set to not change the track key.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Reaper - Tempo change - whole song track - 03/09/17 04:10 PM
Andy,

Try the following.

1. Turn on the grid and activate 'Snap to grid'. (The shortcut ALT+G will do this.)

2. Drag the right end of the wav track until it snaps to the nearest beat. (Let's say it's beat 1 for reference purposes.)

3. Change Reaper's tempo to 170.

4. Now hold down CTRL+ALT and move the cursor around the right end of the wav. The cursor will change to a hand. When that happens, grab the right end of the track and drag it to the left (since you've made the tempo faster) until it snaps to the new beat 1 in the same bar number as before.

5. Lastly, in the 'Project settings' make sure that the 'Default pitch shift mode' is set to 'elastique 3.1.4 Pro'. (I find this a good stretching/shrinking engine.)

That should do the job for you.

Regards,
Noel

EXCELLENT!!! That did it. (And those a completely different instructions than I found anywhere.)

You ARE a Reaper expert! smile

Thanks, Noel!
Hey, Noel. For vocals using the 3.1.4 Pro Algorithm, how many ms would you set the Attack time? Like my vocals, not Beyoncé. Old, beaten-up, fossil guy vocals. A range would be helpful. Thanks.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Reaper - Tempo change - whole song track - 03/10/17 03:02 AM
Andy,

For manually tuning vocals, I set Reatune to the following...

• Attack time = 50 - 80 ms (I mostly use 50)
  • Stereo correction = off (since I only record mono vocals)
  • Elastique 3.1.4 Solo -- this definitely works better with vocals than Pro
  • Parameter = Monophonic

Hope this helps,
Noel

Excellent, Noel. I had nowhere to start. I could use 2000 and I just needed those range numbers. Thank you.
© PG Music Forums