PG Music Home
Posted By: lambada 5 Vocal Recording Mistakes. - 06/07/17 04:47 AM
I thought this might interest some here.

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/5-vocal-recording-mistakes/?utm_source=insync&utm_medium

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/5-ways-your-mic-technique-is-ruining-your-vocals/

Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: 5 Vocal Recording Mistakes. - 06/07/17 09:00 AM
Good points.... #3 should be #1.
Posted By: MarioD Re: 5 Vocal Recording Mistakes. - 06/07/17 11:25 AM
All of these are even in my book as any one can ruin a vocal.

BUT there is a 6th Vocal Recording Mistake and that is me trying to sing.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: 5 Vocal Recording Mistakes. - 06/07/17 11:29 AM
"3. Using Excessive Color/Processing

"Recording with some in-line processing, such as compression and EQ, can be a serious time-saver. What’s more, even if you prefer to track clean, you have to appreciate the natural warmth and colored sound you get from the right kind of preamp. The biggest problem with tracking while using processors and warm preamps is that you have to commit to that one sound."

Never heard of "Input Monitoring"? Nobody actually prints effects with the track. The 'warmth' of any preamp will 'print' regardless.

"The biggest problem with tracking while using processors and warm preamps is that you have to commit to that one sound."

Exactly. That's why nobody does it! grin

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: 5 Vocal Recording Mistakes. - 06/07/17 03:22 PM
A good preamp can give a nice warm sound that you certainly want. People who know, will often request a certain mic/preamp in the studios that have that combo.

My thought was what you don't want printed.... and that is compression, EQ, and reverb. And for heavens sake, don't use chorus and echo FX on a vocal unless you really (and I mean REALLY) know what you're doing and why you're doing it. Don't just throw it in there and think waa laa, now THAT sounds good. Because 99.9999% of the time, it doesn't.
Posted By: Tobias Re: 5 Vocal Recording Mistakes. - 06/10/17 02:48 AM
Ditto on the over use of chorus and echo on vocals. I don't like it either. Especially not when Ozzie Ozborn does it. I think he could improve a lot of his songs by not using it at all.
Or by hiring David Coverdale to sing for him. grin
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: 5 Vocal Recording Mistakes. - 06/10/17 11:27 AM
All of these are important. #1 doesn't get enough attention in my opinion, but that's because of my technical background as an acoustics engineer. However, I hear the effects of poor acoustics and mic choice and technique all the time, which causes some to do #3, so to me they are interconnected.
Posted By: jcspro40 Re: 5 Vocal Recording Mistakes. - 06/12/17 02:31 AM
" Nobody actually prints effects with the track"

Yes they do... smile ...the ones that know what they want. It makes the mix down SO much easier! cool
© PG Music Forums