PG Music Home
Posted By: Hugh2 Levels Measured in LUFS in ozone - 06/16/17 08:01 PM
Hi all noticed something in ozone 7 thats interesting.
I loaded a track to be mastered and added in the plugins I decided to use an equalizer,dynamic plugin and exciter and maximizer and a transient shaper(feel like im on star trek) and then i loaded the metering plugin insight and was measuring lufs .When I was happy I exported it to wav.I then reloaded the mastered wav and used the insight plugin to measure the lufs and I was surprized to see that they were a good bit different like up on 5 lufs different .
I partially based my decision that the mastering process was complete because of the lufs meter.I am trying to think where my logic is flawed ,Has any one else with ozone a few minutes to try it out or has an explanation for the discrepancy,Urs Hugh
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Levels Measured in LUFS in ozone - 06/16/17 08:10 PM
Hugh,

How did you use Insight to get the first LUFS reading? I'm guessing that you somehow had it loaded in your DAW. Are you sure that Insight was measuring the final output sound? What DAW do you use?

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: rharv Re: Levels Measured in LUFS in ozone - 06/16/17 08:23 PM
Another consideration;
When you re-open the wav file, are all possible volume controls in the signal path set to 100%?
If the Open routine defaults a 'track' to a set value, the track may not be being output at full volume by the time it gets to the meter .. just something to consider. Any point between the raw data and the meter is in play.
Posted By: Hugh2 Re: Levels Measured in LUFS in ozone - 06/16/17 08:28 PM
Hi Noel
The process i used was this
Mixed the song in reaper then exported the mixed wav to folder,I then used ozone standalone and up loaded the wav to ozone.I used a default preset which had 5 plugins and i put the insight plugin on the extreme right as u look at the computer.
I then exported that mastered wav to folder and imported again into standalone ozone and only used the insight plugin alone,
thanks for the reply urs hugh
Posted By: Hugh2 Re: Levels Measured in LUFS in ozone - 06/16/17 08:34 PM
hi Noel,
also the input and output are the same but im just checking now the pre mastered version is louder by a bit when i listen to them side by side.The only thing thats different is that I dithered the mastered wav,urs Hugh
Posted By: Hugh2 Re: Levels Measured in LUFS in ozone - 06/16/17 08:37 PM
Hi Rharv ,
ok im not sure on that one ,urs hugh
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Levels Measured in LUFS in ozone - 06/17/17 02:23 AM
Hugh,

One other thought... did you wait until your song had played the entire length before taking its LUFS reading? If you only looked as sections of the song, it is highly likely that there would be a mismatch in numbers.

As a check, it would be interesting to run Reaper's LUFS analysis of your rendered file.

To do this, load your rendered wav file into Reaper and then have a look at the video I mention in the below thread.

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=411913#Post411913

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Hugh2 Re: Levels Measured in LUFS in ozone - 06/17/17 07:45 PM
Hi Noel,
I did wait for the whole song.
I repeated the whole thing out of interest and I got different results than my original one.
I ended up with three new results
1.The unmastered track with insight loaded at the end
2.The mastered track undithered with only insight loaded
3.The mastered track dithered with only insight loaded

The results were close to each other but not exact.The dithering result should be different to my understanding which it was but the undithered wav and the unmastered track should be in my thinking be exactly the same but their was still 1.5 lufs out approx
I must have done something wrong in the original effort to have a whopping 5 lufs difference and also the appearance of the actual wavs was much different.Not sure what mistake I made but im pretty sure I made one.
Thanks again for the answers Hugh
© PG Music Forums