PG Music Home
+++ Zoom Website +++

+++ Sweetwater Page With Overview Video +++

Gear Lust! I'd love to have this but ... man is it pricey!
Jim

Thanks, that video was very interesting.

Looking at specs at zoom site I see it will take up to 512GB SDXC card, that's a lot of record time (~21.5 hours) at max everything, or with 256 GB card (10.75 hours), 128GB (~5.5 hours), or even a "lowly" 64GB card (~2.7 hours) at max specs.

OK math in public (approx) time: Full means: 24 bit (aka 3 bytes) * 96K (samples per second) * 12 (channels) * 2 (can be stored as stereo wav) * 3600 (for 60 seconds in a minute by 60 minutes in an hour) = 24,883,200,000 bytes per hour or ~ 23.2 GiB/hour (a computer GB [aka GiB] is 1,073,741,824 bytes not 1,000,000,000)

or simply go here to check my math

https://www.sounddevices.com/tech-notes/audio-record-time-calculations#

Might end up with one of these

Larry
Zoom products are outstanding value. I have their G5 amp-sim/multi-fx for my guitars, and their B3 amp-sim/multi-fx for my basses. I've used the H4 from a friend and it's also outstanding for the money. This product is no exception.

As for being pricey, I wouldn't say so. There aren't too many audio interfaces with 8 mic pre-amps, let alone the entire function as a full-up mixer, standalone recorder, etc. for $600.

The question is, what do you really need it for? Are you really needing 14 inputs simultaneously? If you record bands or other 14 simultaneous mono sources, then this thing makes some sense.

But if not, you might be better off with other products. One thing that I wonder about is if the recording transport controls and channel strip controls can be mapped to DAW so that the whole thing becomes a big control surface.

It looks comparable to PreSonus StudioLive AR 12 or 16 (kind of in the middle) but the 16 has more channels and a couple more features for connectivity to external sources.
Yes, I love Zoom products. Generally great value, although you have to choose carefully to get the right thing for your needs. I have the Q8 Video Recorder and the UAC-2 Audio interface - both of which I use regularly. I still have a Q3HD which I loved for recording and scratch pad stuff. I gave away my old GFX3 a while back. I didn't like it as a guitar multi-effects unit - a bit too digital for my taste, but then I don't like any except my NOVA.
© PG Music Forums