PG Music Home
Posted By: DrDan Get Xpand!2 for FREE! - 10/14/17 02:54 PM
for those that love free ...
"Get Xpand!2 for FREE! A DontCrack Exclusive!"

http://www.dontcrack.com/news/2017/1...k-exclusive-2/
Posted By: Larry Kehl Re: Get Xpand!2 for FREE! - 10/14/17 03:13 PM
this link might be better

http://www.dontcrack.com/news/2017/10/get-xpand2-for-free-a-dontcrack-exclusive-2/

A a heads-up, to those that don't know, you do need a iLok account - which is also free.

You don't need an iLok USB dongle - just the software license manager.

Larry
Posted By: DrDan Re: Get Xpand!2 for FREE! - 10/14/17 03:44 PM
Downloaded but before I installed I did a sanity check! I already have it from a free version giveaway in Jan 2017 and it was not an Ilok with that giveaway. In fact, I had lost the .dll in Reaper a while back and never really missed it. A quick search of my hard drive found the .dll and it is back now and running. I do remember there was a time I liked this plugin.

So that answers the fundamental question. Can you every have to many free VST plugins? The answer is Yes, when you have lost track of which ones you have.
Posted By: Larry Kehl Re: Get Xpand!2 for FREE! - 10/14/17 04:33 PM
Yep, I got it free around same time but it DOES require iLOk authorization, states that on the download page under system requirements. Not a big deal unless you really don't want Pace/iLOk installed - its better than it was but still....

I bit the bullet about two, or so, years ago to get a UVI plugin and other synths I really wanted - they absolutely required iLok so "in for penny in for pound."

Posted By: lambada Re: Get Xpand!2 for FREE! - 10/14/17 11:12 PM
I had iLOK, so grabbed it. :-)
Posted By: MarioD Re: Get Xpand!2 for FREE! - 10/17/17 01:52 PM
I also have iLOK so I picked this one up. Note that you do not need the iLOK dongle. You can use either the free iLOK authorization to your computer or the cloud, your choice.

If you want some decent MIDI sounds then grab this freebee. It is well worth the DL.
Posted By: Tyler - PG Music Re: Get Xpand!2 for FREE! - 10/17/17 08:52 PM
Awesome, I'll pick this up to night I have used it before and enjoyed using it.
Posted By: Samuel Davis Re: Get Xpand!2 for FREE! - 10/18/17 08:43 AM
OK, stupid question time...

I've seen other VSTs that require iLOK. What is iLOK and is it worth buying?
Posted By: lambada Re: Get Xpand!2 for FREE! - 10/18/17 09:13 AM
iLok is free. It's a software dongle to deal with illegal software. I think originally it was physical and annoying (to say the least).
Posted By: MarioD Re: Get Xpand!2 for FREE! - 10/18/17 11:29 AM
Originally Posted By: lambada
iLok is free. It's a software dongle to deal with illegal software. I think originally it was physical and annoying (to say the least).

Yes, the software dongle is free. It allows you to store your software licenses in either the cloud or on your computer. This will allow you to use the licensed software on one computer.

The hardware dongle is not free and costs about $50. This dongle will allow you to use your software on different computers. Just plug the dongle into the computer with the software and you're all set. Note that you will need a on-line account to activate your software.

I use the hardware dongle but many use the free version.
Posted By: jford Re: Get Xpand!2 for FREE! - 10/18/17 01:49 PM
If you do buy an iLok dongle (it's just a USB plugin key), be sure to shop around. If you buy it from iLok, it will cost you $49. But you can get the same thing from Amazon for $39 (and when I got mine, it was on sale for $29).

But for the sound libraries from AIR (such as XPAND!2), you only need the software iLok manager installed on your computer. When you register XPAND!2, you receive authorization for two licenses. Installing it on just that one machine locks a license to only that machine. Installing it on the Dongle allows you to install the software on multiple machines, but only use it when the Dongle is inserted. Even then, you still have to download and install the iLok Manager software (whether using the soft authorization or the hardware authorization).

If you install it locally on your machine and your hard drive crashes, you may end up losing the license or will have to pay to re-instate it. With the hardware dongle, it possibly might fail also, but iLok does offer an insurance policy (not free) to keep you up and running even in the event of failure.

I know, it's all so confusing.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Get Xpand!2 for FREE! - 10/18/17 02:01 PM
Originally Posted By: Samuel Davis
OK, stupid question time...

I've seen other VSTs that require iLOK. What is iLOK and is it worth buying?

It is a way for a software vendor to prevent software piracy. iLOK protected software activates by iLOK software giving the protected software the okay to activate. iLOK maintains a file of iLOK protected software you purchased. When you load and try to use iLOK protected software you haven't purchased, the iLOK protected software will not activate.

PG Music uses software activation by serial number; i.e. you enter the serial number and the software activates. The serial number is either shipped with the storage media or from PG Music support.
Posted By: jford Re: Get Xpand!2 for FREE! - 10/18/17 02:12 PM
At least we don't have to do daisy chained parallel port dongles anymore (especially since most new computers don't have parallel ports). And then you had to plug your printer into the end of that.

Disclaimer: Image is not my setup, just a stock internet image for illustration purposes to make the point.
Posted By: cubanpete Re: Get Xpand!2 for FREE! - 10/18/17 06:25 PM
Don't know if is me but I tried to get it and is asking for $69 at check out. Can't find the "free" one.

Mike B.
Posted By: Larry Kehl Re: Get Xpand!2 for FREE! - 10/18/17 08:32 PM

http://store.dontcrack.com/product_info.php?products_id=2954

like ti says in RED you have to type

"XpandFreebie" (no quotes) at checkout
Posted By: jford Re: Get Xpand!2 for FREE! - 10/19/17 12:21 PM
When I got it, it was on sale, too, but I had to pay a whole lot more. Mine cost $1.00.

smile
Posted By: sslechta Re: Get Xpand!2 for FREE! - 10/20/17 12:03 PM
It's free for Pro Tools users.
Posted By: Larry Kehl Re: Get Xpand!2 for FREE! - 10/20/17 10:22 PM
Well John go get it for free NOW, then you will have another license for another two instances.

Or you could give that 2nd license to someone for Christmas (in case they miss it for themselves - look at it like re-gifting last years ugly sweater but only a lot more useful grin )

Larry

Posted By: jford Re: Get Xpand!2 for FREE! - 10/22/17 12:04 AM
I actually already have two licenses, because after getting the (then) $1 offer, I then I bought the AIR bundle on sale (which they offered), which also included Expand!.
© PG Music Forums