PG Music Home
Posted By: Boca Bob Audio Interface with MIDI? - 11/10/17 02:28 PM
Hi Everyone,
I don't post often, but do read a lot of your posts.

I'm ready to buy a decent interface to replace my old POD X3. All I need is two channels, phantom power, AND MIDI like the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. I was hoping some of you could recommend some under $250 street. I just want to record voice and guitar along with MIDI from an old Proteus 1 (stop laughing). Interface should be user friendly - I'm not really MIDI literate. I want to use BBW and some MIDI backing tracks. I don't mind reading a manual, but should be novice friendly.

Thanks for reading, and any suggestions.

Bob
Ft. Lauderdale
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Audio Interface with MIDI? - 11/11/17 10:24 AM
Why not just get the 2i4? Price on that is under your $250 limit, $180 or so.

I'm running the 2i4 here, great little unit.
Posted By: Boca Bob Re: Audio Interface with MIDI? - 11/12/17 07:57 AM
That's certainly an option. Just checking other options so I don't "wish I had known about this other one." I like doing comparisons...
Posted By: MarioD Re: Audio Interface with MIDI? - 11/12/17 11:19 AM
Bob, google/bing audio interfaces with MIDI and you will find a number of them for under $250 USD.

Sorry but I can not suggest anything in that price range. My only advice is to buy a little more than what you think you need, because you may need more in the future.

Good luck.
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Audio Interface with MIDI? - 11/12/17 01:08 PM
When you say you want to record midi from an old proteus clarify that a little more. I think you might mean you want to record the audio from the proteus playing back midi data. If that is the case the 2i4 may not have enough audio input channels for you to do voice and guitar and proteus simultaneously.
Posted By: Boca Bob Re: Audio Interface with MIDI? - 11/13/17 06:36 AM
Yes. You are correct. You totally nailed it. I want to record the Proteus playing MIDI tracks into Real Band or Power Tracks. The Proteus rear panel has mono, stereo, and/or four individual sub-outputs. I guess I could go stereo, or two tracks at a time to save money. But, I'd probably be happier with at least four inputs on the audio interface. I didn't plan on recording vocals and guitar along with the MIDI simultaneously. Just lay down the Proteus tracks and build from there.

And, someday I might want to play MIDI tracks live in a band or solo setting as backing tracks, etc. Two seperate scenarios. Although, I think if I were to use the Proteus for backing tracks, I would do all the work at home and save it as a .wav or .mp3 file and play that to avoid a "overly complicated, prone to possible failure" situation.

Thanks for your input. I'll have to raise my price range for sure. Any other insights?

Originally Posted By: rockstar_not
When you say you want to record midi from an old proteus clarify that a little more. I think you might mean you want to record the audio from the proteus playing back midi data. If that is the case the 2i4 may not have enough audio input channels for you to do voice and guitar and proteus simultaneously.
Posted By: cooltouch Re: Audio Interface with MIDI? - 11/13/17 03:14 PM
For your needs then, the Scarlett 6i6 might be just the ticket. Well under $250 street, and just as great a unit as the 2i4. Next up is the 18i8, but it's street price is above your $250 ceiling.

I own a 2i4, which is all I need. It's a great little unit.
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Audio Interface with MIDI? - 11/13/17 09:26 PM
Originally Posted By: Boca Bob
Yes. You are correct. You totally nailed it. I want to record the Proteus playing MIDI tracks into Real Band or Power Tracks. The Proteus rear panel has mono, stereo, and/or four individual sub-outputs. I guess I could go stereo, or two tracks at a time to save money. But, I'd probably be happier with at least four inputs on the audio interface. I didn't plan on recording vocals and guitar along with the MIDI simultaneously. Just lay down the Proteus tracks and build from there.

And, someday I might want to play MIDI tracks live in a band or solo setting as backing tracks, etc. Two seperate scenarios. Although, I think if I were to use the Proteus for backing tracks, I would do all the work at home and save it as a .wav or .mp3 file and play that to avoid a "overly complicated, prone to possible failure" situation.

Thanks for your input. I'll have to raise my price range for sure. Any other insights?

For the live playing, a mixer is more apropos than a multi channel I/O device. For recording, two tracks at a time is all I can usually manage. I have an 18i8 mostly for convenience of not having to have a mixer or patchbay in my signal chain. I’ve never recorded more than two channels at a time at home. I don’t regret buying the 18i8.
Posted By: Boca Bob Re: Audio Interface with MIDI? - 11/14/17 05:32 AM
Thanks everyone smile
Posted By: mullhull Re: Audio Interface with MIDI? - 11/15/17 04:47 AM
Hey Bob have you seen these ?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-Behringer-XENYX-302USB-5-Input-Compact-Mixer-and-USB-Interface/172968701630?epid=2255534904&hash=item2845bceebe:g:9nkAAO

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Behringer-Xenyx-Q802USB-8-Input-2-Bus-Analog-Mixer-3-Band-EQ-USB-Audio-Interface/252497179619?epid=1111109214&hash=item3aca0133e3:g:stcAA

I was fortunate ended up with a high end unit but if I am reading what you desire for recording they may do the job have some comparable reviews to Focusrite. I never laugh at any equipment !!!
Although my first Checkmate guitar with the strings 1/2" off the neck didn't make learning how to play a walk in the park it still brings a smile to my face ,wish I had a picture of it.

It did teach me at a certain point there are guitars and then there are real instruments and at a certain stage price does matter. Just thought you might like to check them out. Sweetwater and a lot of the online stores have them I am actually selling my 302 they cannot be beat for the price IMNSHO ?. Happy and Safe Holidays to every one !!! Keep on rockin !!!
© PG Music Forums