PG Music Home
Posted By: pghboemike Blind testing a 10 ms Timing Difference - 12/06/17 04:14 AM
This test will help you evaluate the shortest time difference you can hear. This version is the easy one, intended for home-theatre users. You will be asked whether two sounds are synchronized, or not (2-way test).

Musicians and studio engineers, please switch over to the 3-way test (more difficult).

found on iOS 11 roundtrip latency not short enough (around 20ms)
Very interesting Mike. Didn't think I could still hear a 10ms delay but got 9 out of 11 right. Maybe my hearing isn't as bad as I thought!

Jeff
nailed the musician's test.. 100% correct on the triple.

10ms is approximately equivalent to standing 10 feet from the source
Posted By: sslechta Re: Blind testing a 10 ms Timing Difference - 12/06/17 02:17 PM
10ms is about what I use when I delay a left vs. right vocal track to "thicken".
Posted By: lambada Re: Blind testing a 10 ms Timing Difference - 12/07/17 04:08 AM
It's definitely a learned skill. The 3 version was very hard for me.
Posted By: lambada Re: Blind testing a 10 ms Timing Difference - 12/07/17 04:09 AM
It's definitely a learned skill. The 3 version was very hard for me. Does this mean I'm a sh$# player / musician / audi engineer? cry
Weird I got a 60% on the 2-way but 100% on the 3 way?

But with my extreme tinnitus I'm surprised since the high-hat was in my "noise" gate especially its volume level, while I assume the testers made the levels equal the high-hat seemed LOWER than the bass in the 2 way?

In this case not sure what I was suppose to learn about myself since the test was "in a vacuum" (i.e., no context or if you are from the method-actor school of thought "what's my motivation")

Larry
This is very interesting! I've heard of these kind of tests, but never actually tried taking one. I'll have to bookmark it for later on and try it out smile
Posted By: rharv Re: Blind testing a 10 ms Timing Difference - 12/11/17 08:41 PM
You engineer for audi?

Not sure how this test would affect that at all.
smile
© PG Music Forums