PG Music Home
Posted By: BlueAttitude iZotope Tonal Balance control - 03/01/18 07:45 AM
I upgraded my iZotope Neutron software a while back to the new Neutron2, and man, I'm really blown away by the new Tonal Balance control software that comes with it!
Very useful tool, especially for those of us getting older with ears that don't hear high frequencies as good as before. In my last song I used one of their default setting called "Modern" to get an idea how my mix was balanced.

In addition to using built in settings, you can also load in a song that you are trying to emulate as far as sound goes.

The new song I'm working on now has a groove similar to the Joe Bonamassa song "Drive", so I loaded that in. It shows how your song compares EQ wise to the reference song, and also allows you to highlight specific frequency ranges you you can hear exactly what is going on and can quickly identify problem areas.

Brilliant! Here is a screenshot:
(gave up on doing an inline image, I'm not smart enough to make that work apparently blush so it's an attachment)

Attached File
tonal balance.jpg  (19 downloads)
Posted By: sslechta Re: iZotope Tonal Balance control - 03/01/18 10:58 AM
Yes, I love it too! Used it on the Paradox song I did. On your screenshot, I like to use the "Fine" control that breaks down the frequencies even more. I also imported one of my favorite Weezer songs to tonal balance to set my song up with similar EQ. Sure enough, one of the people that listened to the song said it sounded like Weezer. Damn fine tool it is. Also agree on the age thing. It's nice to have visual confirmation.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: iZotope Tonal Balance control - 03/01/18 11:24 AM
Steve, yes, the fine control is great! It shows specifically where the problem is, then just use the ALT-mouse to hover over the frequency and you can easily hear what is causing the problem.
Posted By: lambada Re: iZotope Tonal Balance control - 03/01/18 09:32 PM
I find the iZotope package I have indispensable. Neutron 2, Ozone Advanced 8, Nectar etc. Fabulous and fast. A bit guilt inducing though.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: iZotope Tonal Balance control - 03/02/18 12:05 AM
Dave,

Why does the screen capture have three "1"s and no "2"s? I recognize that each of the "1"s is a different kind of EQ even though all three are covering the same frequencies.

Another question. Are the sideways "Y" and tuning fork emblems the edges of a bell curve?

Attached picture Clipboard01.jpg
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: iZotope Tonal Balance control - 03/02/18 07:32 AM
Jim,

The balance control module sits on the master bus, and it has access to the EQ section of all the Neutron modules that are being used in the session. In my case I have Neutron as the last module in the FX chain of every track in the session.

So, if you identify a problem with a specific track, you can load in the EQ section from the specific neutron module, in this case the guitar solo, and work on it right from the balance control module.

That particular EQ curve was initially created by the "learn" feature, which analyzes the audio and places nodes on "areas of interest it identifies, such as sibilance, resonance, rumble, and so on".

I then fine tuned it somewhat based on problems that the balance control identified, don't remember exactly what I did.

The sideways "Y" are low shelf and high shelf.

Here is a doc about the EQ portion of Neutron: https://s3.amazonaws.com/izotopedownloads/docs/neutron201/en/equalizer/index.html
Posted By: Brian Hughes Re: iZotope Tonal Balance control - 03/02/18 09:33 AM
I have been using the Tonal Balance control since it first come out. It is a wonderful tool for mixing along with Neutron 2. I use the modern setting and it has saved me lots of trips out to the cars and other sound sources to check the mix. I can instantly see if it is too bass boomy or not enough bass.

I am in my 60's and have had quite a bit of hearing loss in the mid high and high frequency. This along with the learn function of Neutron and ozone have really been a blessing.

Brian
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: iZotope Tonal Balance control - 03/02/18 09:42 AM
Yes, same here, Brian. Mid highs and highs always give me problems. I'm 63.
Posted By: sslechta Re: iZotope Tonal Balance control - 03/02/18 09:48 AM
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Why does the screen capture have three "1"s and no "2"s? I recognize that each of the "1"s is a different kind of EQ even though all three are covering the same frequencies.

No "2"s as that one is powered off. The color appears more grayed out than "3" for example. You just click on "2" to turn it on then you can start moving it around.

As far as the "1"s and the last number, you have more choices at the low and high end of the frequency range for the low/high passes, etc.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: iZotope Tonal Balance control - 03/02/18 10:12 AM
Thanks Steve, I missed that part.

When you first open the EQ module, by default only 1, 3, 5, and 7 are powered on, along with high and low shelf.
Posted By: Hugh2 Re: iZotope Tonal Balance control - 03/19/18 09:02 AM
Hi,
Yes Tonal Balance is a super tool.I even think its a stepping stone to something bigger and its a tool that could develop to have more controls etc.The fine tune is excellent to getting down to nitty gritty if you can hear or guess the problem.Izotope have great interfaces as well and I also really like the Visual Mixer ,Hugh
© PG Music Forums