PG Music Home
This easy-to-follow video clip by Kenny Gioia shows how to use drum samples in Reaper and drive them by MIDI notes to create rhythm.

As I see it, this has two REALLY EXCELLENT uses from BIAB's perspective.

ONE
BIAB's MIDI-only styles have MIDI drum patterns already created and mapped to MIDI notes. BIAB uses General MIDI percussion mapping. This mapping is defined in the below pdf whose content was obtained from here.

General MIDI Keyboard Map for Percussion (pdf)

Using this Reaper tutorial, it is then only necessary to...

1) Open BIAB and generate MIDI drums for a song.

2) Load that MIDI Drum track into Reaper.

3) Assign audio drum sounds/samples that can be triggered by the BIAB-generated MIDI drums.

**There are many audio clips of drum and percussion sounds across many genres that are freely available on the internet.

Quote:
NOTE: By default, BIAB will automatically replace MIDI drums with Realdrums. To disable this...

(a) a global setting is found in Realdrum preferences

(b) in BIAB 2018, a song-by-song override of Realdrums can be obtained by right-clicking and the drum track and selecting "Force to MIDI drums".

TWO
At the end of each audio file that BIAB uses to generate its Realdrums Drum track, the individual sounds of each percussion used in that track's creation is found. These drum audio files are in \bb\Drums.

Should the need arise to create a drum rhythm to complement a BIAB-generated Realdrum drum track, these sampled drum sounds could be used to compile a rhythm that is a 100% accurate sound match with the Realdrum track created by BIAB.

Regards,
Noel
Noel, I use #1 all of the time. This technique can be used with any DAW and drum sound source.

If you are using a non-GM drum sound source there are drum note conversion patches for most all such drums. Groove Monkee has their MIDI drum loops available for many different drum sources.
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Noel, I use #1 all of the time. This technique can be used with any DAW and drum sound source.

If you are using a non-GM drum sound source there are drum note conversion patches for most all such drums. Groove Monkee has their MIDI drum loops available for many different drum sources.

Thanks for the information, Mario.

I'm just starting to wrap my head around the many possibilities of this now.

I appreciate the information.

All the best,
Noel

If anyone is interested, I have put together a little Reaper file that has a 3-part drum rhythm set up.

This is for 64-bit Reaper.

"Drum Machine" example set-up (zipped)

I've set this up using a multichannel stereo mixer so that each drum has its own independent volume control. One of the advantages of this is the volume sliders can be automated and controlled by envelopes (which I've also added to the file).

Here is the file. Simply unzip the folder keeping everything in the folder together and then navigate Reaper to open the "Drum Machine 1.RPP" file.

Regards,
Noel
I have done option 1 before using Groove Agent, the drum VST that comes with Cubase.

I've been wanting to do the second as well. The one thing I noticed is that not all of the BIAB drum demos have individual hits. Especially the more electronic style drums do not have them and those are the ones I really wanted to mess around with for more modern sounding songs.
Samuel,

I don't know if this is useful information but the guy on the below Youtube channel...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4MSd7cYb2o

... has 600+ EDM orientated sampled drum sounds available for download on his Soundcloud site. He has a heap of EDM he's created there, too.

If you're interested, just go to...

https://soundcloud.com/7rystan/600-free-edm-samples-drums

And click on the "FREE DOWNLOAD" link. If I recall correctly, it's necessary to subscribe (it's free).

Regards,
Noel
Related:
Many years ago I received permission to share the DR-005 drum machine sample player (from fXpansion) on this forum.

The package can be found here -
www.masteringmatters.com/stuff/dr005.zip
The license key should be in a text file in the zip package.

Assign drum samples to a 'track' inside this sample player, assign that track to a MIDI note, and use the mixer to pan and adjust volume as needed.
No need to leave PGMusic products, as this works in BiaB/RB and it should work in Reaper/Sonar etc just as well.

Image:
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/dr_005_by_fxpansion
It is a 32 bit plugin

The zip file has confused some people in the past. When you first unzip it you get a text file with the license key and another zip file with the plugin dll. You have to unzip the plugin zip file again to access the dll.
Though designed for drums, it can be used to trigger any samples you assign to it.
Thanks, rharv.

I appreciate being reminded about this. It seems that at last I'm getting into midi drum programming!
© PG Music Forums