PG Music Home
Hi

Is anyone keeping the original sonar or is everyone going for band lab version.

I don't seem to have the plugins that I have with my version I bought opposed to the band lab version.
Keep your original Sonar downloads the plugins, synths etc will work with Cakewalk by BandLab. The Cakewalk by BandLab will install beside the original and you can use the extras. All I had to do was point the new Cakewalk to my folders (things such as templates and audio files) which I have in a non standard place (5 mins setup). I do not keep the Sonar Audio folders on my C drive. The C drive cops enough let alone heaps of audio files. All my existing Sonar (cwp) files have opened up. It is just an update.

My thoughts

Tony
Cakewalk by BandLab exists beside your present Sonar products. The program installation will recognize and allow you to use whatever existing third party products that is part of your current Sonar installation.

The starting point for Cakewalk by BandLab was the core executable program for Sonar Platinum. That means you'll gain the artificial program limitations imposed to create the Artist and Professional program variations. For example, looking at the comparison chart available +++ HERE +++ Sonar Artist does not include the ProChannel while Sonar Platinum did so Cakewalk by BandLab does.

Cakewalk by BandLab will use whatever third party content you installed with Sonar Artist. However, content for Cakewalk by BandLab is limited at this time to the Studio Instruments suite, TTS-1 and the trial edition of Melodyne Essentials.

There have been two updates for bug fixes, ease installation concerns and preparation for future updates.

The advice is to keep what you have for now. There will come a time when the new program does not depend on the old program accessories so much but keeping the installation you have is the only way to ensure you will not lose any functionality by accident.

One last caution: Cakewalk by BandLab requires 64 bit Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or 10. 32 bit is not supported.
Yeah, I went ahead and d/l'd Cakewalk by BandLab just to see what it was all about. It's a dead ringer for Sonar Platinum. I didn't know about the two updates, guess I should d/l them.

Right now, I'm still using Platinum, mostly because I had a couple of lockups in CbB. But since then I've had 'em with SPlat too, so who knows. Anyway, I'm still comfortable with SPlat, and I reckon I'll use it till I can't use it anymore.
© PG Music Forums