PG Music Home
Posted By: BlueAttitude How many reverbs does one person need? - 07/24/18 07:57 AM
Waves just came out with a new reverb, Abbey Road Chambers (not the same as Abbey Road Reverb Plates), introductory sale price is $29.
I had a listen to the demo video, sounds great but man, I have so many reverbs here already I can't really justify buying another one even though it is tempting at $29.

Here is the link that talks about it: https://www.waves.com/plugins/abbey-road-chambers
One! smile

FWIW...I use one reverb for everything - the EMT 140 Plate Simulation that is one of the Nectar 2 modules. Early on reading about Nectar 2 I ran across an article on that sim and how the original EMT had been used as the sole reverb on many albums. It only weighed 600 pounds! So being an old guy who searches for simplicity in mixing I decided several years ago to try it as a sole ‘verb. I realize that for some of my applications another one likely would be better but I’m good with the results so far.

But I do like Waves’ products. I have CLA Drums, Vocal Rider, Bass Rider and their multi-band compressor.
Makes sense to me, Bud. If you have something that you are comfortable with using and works well for you, no reason to change.

I use Vocal Rider here too BTW, great plugin!
Posted By: MarioD Re: How many reverbs does one person need? - 07/24/18 12:32 PM
I use only two different VST reverbs. One is Breverb, which has a lot of different reverbs included, and a spring reverb.

Breverb = https://www.overloud.com/products/breverb-2

PSP Springbox =

http://www.pspaudioware.com/plugins/reverbs/psp_springbox1/
If I want a standalone reverb I'll almost always use the Waves Hybrid reverb, got it on sale for $29 a while back.
This one: https://www.waves.com/plugins/h-reverb-hybrid-reverb
Posted By: rharv Re: How many reverbs does one person need? - 07/24/18 08:17 PM
regarding the original topic question;
Exactly

.. at least that's what I have on this particular system <grin>
unless you count VSTs with multiple effects in them, then there's quite a few more (Ozone, channel strip type plugins, amp sims, etc)

I have my favorite reverbs for various different applications/instruments, so 1 or 2 wouldn't be fun here.
Posted By: Sundance Re: How many reverbs does one person need? - 07/24/18 11:31 PM
I like the reverb in Nectar 2 alot for vocals. I have seven or eight including it and the ones that come with Reaper.

Honestly, I'm rather loathe get any more of them without really testing them out first - unless it's a freebie of course.

For me the sound on a lot of reverbs doesn't live up to the sales hype and my personal taste - probably emphasis on personal taste. smile
I have 2 reverbs that I use regularly.

The first is Reverb SOLO which is a free reverb that you can find here... https://reverb.com/software/effects/acon-digital/47-reverb-solo . I use this as an insert on vocals and overall mix if needed. Sometimes I will use it on a FX send.

The second is the built in reverb with Cubase called Room Works. This one I almost always use on an FX send. I went away from it for a while before I learned how to effectively use FX sends but now I'm back to it, especially since I've been working on a bit of EDM and Electro Pop lately.

I may have a few others buried in my arsenal of VST plugins but I don't use them. I'm always up for trying new FX out but when you got something that's working well for you why change?
There is a formula for this very subject; although it can be applied to many other things in life. Here it is...

Sum(r+1)=n

"r" is the number of reverbs you currently have.
"n" indicates the number you need.

So in conclusion, whatever number of reverbs you have, ad 1, and that will be the number you need. After the purchase of any reverb, use the equation again to get an accurate number.

I like Bud's equation as well. wink
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
There is a formula for this very subject; although it can be applied to many other things in life. Here it is...

Sum(r+1)=n

"r" is the number of reverbs you currently have.
"n" indicates the number you need.

So in conclusion, whatever number of reverbs you have, ad 1, and that will be the number you need. After the purchase of any reverb, use the equation again to get an accurate number.

Yes, that is the exact same formula used for determining how many guitars one person needs grin
Well I have one more thanks to this thread.

Who can resist a freebie.
Well just in case someone needs another cheap one

https://www.pluginboutique.com/products/3441?utm_source=PIB-Newsletter-Polaris-First-Send&utm_campaign=PIB-Polaris-First+Send&utm_source=emailCampaign&utm_content=&utm_medium=email

truth in advertising: I don't own it - I'm just linking what my email just sent me this morning and it's on this topic grin
Wait.... is this a trick question?

All of them... of course.

However, if you're like me, I have a bunch but tend to use just one.....with different presets and tweeks of course.
Posted By: rharv Re: How many reverbs does one person need? - 07/25/18 04:02 PM
Another freebie is Ambience.

Not for everyone (a little complex but lots of options). The plugin developer worked with PGMusic developers to to make it stable in PG Products. (He had a bug that appeared in PT a few years back).

http://magnus.smartelectronix.com/
Comes in 32 or 64 bit versions and even has a Mac version.
Posted By: rayc Re: How many reverbs does one person need? - 07/26/18 05:31 AM
As many reverbs as work for a person I suppose. So long as it's basically just the one in a project lest things sound as if they're in different rooms.
I only use ReaVerb BUT I have a bundle of files & convolutions to load into it. Mainly I use just the one, and lightly, on the full drum kit with touches here & there on solo instruments or a tiny bit on vocals.
The Abbey Road stuff sounds great and is amazingly cheap but I'm not bothered - I'll just get reverb drunk again and once off the wagon it'll be swamp textures to the moon & back.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: How many reverbs does one person need? - 07/26/18 11:37 AM
"The Abbey Road stuff sounds great and is amazingly cheap but I'm not bothered - I'll just get reverb drunk again and once off the wagon it'll be swamp textures to the moon & back."

Another Reverbholic. One day at a time, Brother. grin

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: jcspro40 Re: How many reverbs does one person need? - 07/27/18 01:25 AM
2, The very old Wizoo Reverb & SIR with various IR's. I use to love Breverb, but once I found the right IR's that was all she wrote!

As for Delays just one, Echo Boy.
I mostly use Soundtoys' Little Plate if I need something fairly simple in the box, or I send tracks to my Eventide Space pedal. It was expensive, but is a spectacular sound design tool. I can send it a high hat and it'll output beautiful choir pads if needed. Absolutely unbelievable.

Cheers
Kent
PG Music
Wow. I need to get me a space pedal!

I have little plate, little alter boy, and echo boy.

All cool.
Here’s an article with 7 different and usable reverb plugins. https://www.musictech.net/2018/07/7-freeware-reverb-plug-ins/
^ all freebies btw
In my mixing setup I usually use two reverbs, one Hall and on chamber reverb, I use the small chamber reverb (and sometimes plate reverb) for the rhythmic elements: drums (especially kick drum) and bass (unless I don't need a precise bass). And I use the Hall reverb for the harmonic and melodic tracks.

I also use one reverb with a predelay and the other reverb without predelay this helps to keep a coherent stereo image..
After contemplating this a while I reduced it to a mathematical equation.

With X being the current number of reverbs you have in your DAW now....and reduced to it's most simple form....

X+1
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: How many reverbs does one person need? - 09/10/18 10:49 PM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker

With X being the current number of reverbs you have in your DAW now....and reduced to it's most simple form....

X+1

I thought that was the equation for how many GUITARS... um... never mind
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker

X+1

I thought that was the equation for how many GUITARS... um... never mind

same mathematical formula applies..... guns, guitars, dogs, millions in the bank, etc....
If I had the money, I'd buy altiverb in a heartbeat. That is the best reverb hands down. It allows you to use real recorded reverb from actual recorded spaces, not just fake digital made or "styled" reverb.
Posted By: rharv Re: How many reverbs does one person need? - 09/12/18 08:06 PM
Originally Posted By: rockstar_not
Here’s an article with 7 different and usable reverb plugins. https://www.musictech.net/2018/07/7-freeware-reverb-plug-ins/

I have recommended the third one down in that list many times.
Ambience is awesome once you get your arms around it. (and free)
Lots of control.

For PGMusic users; the plugin developer worked with PG developers to iron out a couple issues back in the day .. for me it has worked great in PG Products for years.

Herb,

Is this the same formula as:

X + 1 + ((X + 1) +1)) to infinity, which I believe is the formula that is driving recurring revenue software development as we know it?

Your higher math skills are better than mine so I thought I would just check and see.

Am I right professor???

smile
Originally Posted By: Islansoul
If I had the money, I'd buy altiverb in a heartbeat. That is the best reverb hands down. It allows you to use real recorded reverb from actual recorded spaces, not just fake digital made or "styled" reverb.

This article lists freeware convolution reverbs, which is the type of reverb you are referring to.

http://www.echothief.com/convolution-reverbs/
© PG Music Forums