PG Music Home
Posted By: beatmaster Sample tank missing beats - 08/27/18 04:13 PM
Sample tank seems to be missing beats/ notes on the bass, i.e. if I have a g,c,g,d,it plays for the g, c is silent and plays on the next g then plays the d.

Any one any ideas ??.
Posted By: jford Re: Sample tank missing beats - 08/27/18 04:18 PM
If you change the octave of the notes being sent, does it play properly then? Different sound libraries have limits as to which notes are supported.
Posted By: beatmaster Re: Sample tank missing beats - 08/27/18 04:26 PM
I don't know how to do that ?.
Posted By: beatmaster Re: Sample tank missing beats - 08/27/18 04:29 PM
I have tried changing the key and it still does it , seems to be third bar on the line. each time .
Posted By: MarioD Re: Sample tank missing beats - 08/27/18 10:02 PM
Originally Posted By: beatmaster
I don't know how to do that ?.

Show the MIDI track in the Piano Roll View, PRV. Grab the C and bring it up an octave. Does it play? If not bring it up another octave. If it still doesn't play bring the C down 3 octaves; that's one octave below the starting octave. Does it play now? If no bring it down another octave. If it still doesn't play you have a problem.

Bass like guitar are written an octave higher than they sound. GM instruments always use all 88 piano notes so they never have a problem. But when you get into much better instruments like ST3 those instruments are within the range of the actual instrument they are emulating.

Now the problem with bass and guitars is that if the VSTi is expecting the notes to be as written but the track sends the actual note, the one that is one octave lower than written, some notes will be out of the range and not play. The same holds true if the VSTi expects the note to be an octave lower but the track sends the written notes then the bass will play an octave higher.

You just have to figure which scenario it is and the easiest way is to transpose the entire track up and/or down until it sounds good. Even then sometimes you have to select another bass sound for good results.

I hope this helps and doesn't confuse you too much!
Posted By: beatmaster Re: Sample tank missing beats - 08/28/18 09:23 AM
Mario thanks

I do remember having to do that to some of the midi files for gigging, Ill give it a go later.
Posted By: beatmaster Re: Sample tank missing beats - 08/28/18 04:49 PM
Mario

Yes That works a treat, do I have to go through the whole song or is their a quicker way by selecting something..?.

Or a way of seeing the whole track and I might be able to use cursor to select then move all at the same time ?.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Sample tank missing beats - 08/28/18 09:02 PM
Mario

Yes That works a treat, do I have to go through the whole song or is their a quicker way by selecting something..?.

Or a way of seeing the whole track and I might be able to use cursor to select then move all at the same time ?.

Put the bass track in the Piano Roll View (open the PRV then press on the B in the instrument section) then press and hold the shift key down then clink on the offending note, in this case the non-sounding C. Keeping the shift key down move a C note up one octave and all of the C notes with shift with it.

Also pressing the minus sign will condense the track. Depending on how long the track is you may not to want to see it all on the same screen as that can make it very hard to select the note.

Good luck.
Posted By: Tobias Re: Sample tank missing beats - 08/29/18 02:42 AM
Wouldn't it just make sense to move the entire bass track an octave or two up or down? Why just move the one note? Or, did I miss something?
I run in to this in Reaper some times, I Midi editor "Piano Roll" I lasso/ctrl-A the entire bass track and drag it up/down. Actually set up a keyboard short cut "Action" for move up/down an octave.
Posted By: beatmaster Re: Sample tank missing beats - 08/29/18 06:21 AM
Tobias I think its because only the lower range notes are being moved not all the notes, I think Mario or someone else might jump in and answer this.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Sample tank missing beats - 08/29/18 12:00 PM
Tobias I think its because only the lower range notes are being moved not all the notes, I think Mario or someone else might jump in and answer this.

The answer is it depends. Sometimes it sounds OK just to move one note but other times that octave higher note doesn't fit the bass line. Then you have to move the entire track up an octave. Sometimes it is best just to get another bass sample like a 5 string bass. They have lower notes than a 4 string bass.

You just have to mess around until you find the right combination that sounds great for your song.
© PG Music Forums