PG Music Home
Posted By: 90 dB How good are your ears? - 01/01/19 10:26 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgEjI5PZa78
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: How good are your ears? - 01/02/19 11:58 AM
I'd seen this before. This is a topic of endless discussion.

But yep, I agree that once you get into the higher resolution MP3 rates, the average person can not hear the difference between the hi-res mp3 and a wave.

In fact, you hear people say all the time in recording forums that you should not use an MP3 in your project. Well, I'm here to tell you that you can certainly use one and quite effectively too with no noticeable degradation of the quality when it's once again reduced to an mp3.

My song In A World Without You is the song I'm talking about. All I was ever able to get was the MP3 track for the lead vocal. It was impossible for Dena to get the original wave for some reason. So I had to work with the mp3 or not do the song.

Here's the song. You judge. In A World Without You
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: How good are your ears? - 01/15/19 09:45 AM
Audio file formats, mastering levels, etc.....the music seems to get lost in the numbers game.

Bud
Posted By: 2bSolo Re: How good are your ears? - 01/16/19 07:38 PM
You have a point. Once you get the quality level to a competence level, I don't think the audience cares. They are interested in the song and how it makes them feel.

2b
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: How good are your ears? - 01/17/19 10:44 AM
Interesting.
Thank you for sharing!

Before I started posting to soundcloud, I always saved audio as 320 mp3s. The only instances where I saved audio as waves were if I wanted to share them with somebody to further contribute to song as stem or if I simply needed to crop the project without moving it around (for re-sampling purposes).
Posted By: 90 dB Re: How good are your ears? - 01/17/19 03:53 PM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
I'd seen this before. This is a topic of endless discussion.

But yep, I agree that once you get into the higher resolution MP3 rates, the average person can not hear the difference between the hi-res mp3 and a wave.

In fact, you hear people say all the time in recording forums that you should not use an MP3 in your project. Well, I'm here to tell you that you can certainly use one and quite effectively too with no noticeable degradation of the quality when it's once again reduced to an mp3.

My song In A World Without You is the song I'm talking about. All I was ever able to get was the MP3 track for the lead vocal. It was impossible for Dena to get the original wave for some reason. So I had to work with the mp3 or not do the song.

Here's the song. You judge. In A World Without You

Had you actually watched the video, grin his point was that people hear what they're trained to hear. He cited the "4K notch" deficit older people have and how experienced mixers know how to "hear" in that range, albeit a range they cannot physically discern.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: 90 dB Re: How good are your ears? - 01/17/19 03:55 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Audio file formats, mastering levels, etc.....the music seems to get lost in the numbers game.

Bud

Granted. But that is all part of the fun!

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: How good are your ears? - 01/17/19 07:31 PM
Originally Posted By: 90 dB

....his point was that people hear what they're trained to hear. He cited the "4K notch" deficit older people have and how experienced mixers know how to "hear" in that range, albeit a range they cannot physically discern.

Regards,

Bob

That very part was what most interested me. My young, smart Ph.D. audiologist has developed a program for my hearing aids that through HUGE db boosts and compression in certain ranges, e.g., the 4K notch, has allowed me to mix. She's taken me on like a research project and is fascinated that I can talk dbs, and eq and compression. smile

Bud
Posted By: 90 dB Re: How good are your ears? - 01/18/19 02:40 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Originally Posted By: 90 dB

....his point was that people hear what they're trained to hear. He cited the "4K notch" deficit older people have and how experienced mixers know how to "hear" in that range, albeit a range they cannot physically discern.

Regards,

Bob

That very part was what most interested me. My young, smart Ph.D. audiologist has developed a program for my hearing aids that through HUGE db boosts and compression in certain ranges, e.g., the 4K notch, has allowed me to mix. She's taken me on like a research project and is fascinated that I can talk dbs, and eq and compression. smile

Bud

That's really cool tech. cool

Regards,

Bob
© PG Music Forums