PG Music Home
Posted By: John F Low output volume on vocals using Real Band - 04/14/19 07:50 PM
OK, I'll admit I'm a real noob at recording. I have BIAB with RB 2018, 2 SM58 mics and and MXL900 condenser mic. I am using a Behringer UMC204 audio interface. I am trying to record vocals into songs I have created in BIAB using RB. Seems the only way I can get decent volume output on the vocal track is to max out the input volume on the audio interface as well as on the mixer, which leaves me NO headroom to adjust the recording. I'm either doing something wrong or maybe I need some kind of amplifier? Anybody got a solution for me?
John,

After you've recorded the vocals, have you tried...

1. selecting the whole track by clicking on it and then pressing CTRL+A

2. right-click on the selected track and then choosing "Audio Effects | Gain Change" from the menu.

3. From the 'gain change' drop down menu select "3 Normalize".

This will boost the recorded signal.

Regards,
Noel
First things first. Which microphone are you using? If it’s the MXL, are you certain you had the phantom power enabled?
Also you mention a mixer. Which mixer are you referring to?
I use the MXL with phantom power on for mono. I have used two SM58's for two channel recording.
The mixer in RB is the one I'm using.
Thanks Noel, I'll try that. I'm keeping this thread open just in case there's more than one way to accomplish it. Anybody else?
Sure .. Boost the Gain in the Audio Interface for the Mic IN somewhere in the chain, if it's too quiet there are always ways to make it louder .. or get a dedicated pre-amp for the LDC mic before sending that signal to the interface in the first place (preferred method here).
Also may want to check the interface (and related mixer if available) for other audio In options.
Are you using the Line or Instrument setting on the unit's switch for the input level of the interface? It's one of the 2 switches above the input on the physical unit. The Pad setting is the other one, and that may improve things also.

For more info, in RB, what do the input VU meters show? If they are low, then the problem lies before the signal ever gets to RB.
If your version of RB doesn't show these meters in the default view (meaning it is older), you can probably use the Window-Show VU Meters to see them

Thanks Noel, I just did that and it worked very well. I have another question which I will post as a separate topic.
Noel's method will fix the current issue, but to avoid future issues, it may be well worth making sure the recording signal is at a decent level to begin with, otherwise you can also be raising the noise level when you boost the track like that. The more tracks you boost the more noise.

Better to make sure you are recording a good signal from the start than boost a poor recording later.
Just my thoughts, thus my above post.

We've all used Noel's method, but really not the best solution for the problem moving forward if your initial levels are indeed too low.
Getting the input level correct can avoid boosting all your recordings in the future.
© PG Music Forums