PG Music Home
Posted By: hitsman 2 part harmony ie Everly Bros - 11/11/22 09:02 AM
Hi all, Havent been here for quite awhile 1.health problems now sorted 2.major equipment fault 90% sorted...
Ive written a song which Id like to record in the Everly Bros style. Ive got a T C Helicon Voice live 3 and though its a great harmony box Im still not convinced of this type of harmony is there. If anyone has this Voice Live 3 unit would appreciate any advice. Cheers Frankie
Posted By: lambada Re: 2 part harmony ie Everly Bros - 11/12/22 06:25 AM
You can create just about any kind of harmonies you want under the editing options in Voicelive 3. The tough bit is getting it to sound real and balanced in the mix. I use the Voicelive 3 extreme, but to be honest I've not done anything music-wise for about a 2 years, so I'm a bit rusty. TC Helicon is dead in the water, so the only help you will get is from YouTube videos. There's a great 3rd party editor that I've posted about on here before which would make life much easier. Not expensive. Good luck and enjoy. In my humble opinion, there is nothing out there that touches the TC Helicon (now sadly departed) VoiceLive 3 Extreme.
Posted By: MountainSide Re: 2 part harmony ie Everly Bros - 11/12/22 09:26 AM
Lambada raises a really good point above. The use of the third party editor takes the use of the Helicon products from using nearly impossible multilayered menus to everything right in front of you on a detailed GUI. I use Helicon processors extensively and would have stopped using them if not for the editors. If you're interested in exploring these cheap ($35.00) editors, take a look at the website created by the originator Ian Cowdery:

https://voiceliveeditor.com/

Jeff
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: 2 part harmony ie Everly Bros - 11/12/22 04:18 PM
My advice on harmonies is simple. Do them live. I don't use TCH or anything else to create a harmony part out of the original lead melody vocal. That is one sure way to get some super processed, fake sounding vocal harmonies.

Use whatever method you want to get the harmonies correct including TCH. THEN.... learn each of the different harmonies and sing them into individual tracks.

I have used my piano to compose the harmonies.... record it with midi.... and then learn the individual parts with everything else muted.... then record them with the bare minimum amount of tracks needed. Fix the pitch issues with melodyne and you're done.

While TCH is quick, and short of hiring harmony singers, this is the best option for decent sounding harmonies on the cheap.
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: 2 part harmony ie Everly Bros - 11/14/22 07:20 AM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
My advice on harmonies is simple. Do them live.

^ This^

If you use a harmonizer, this means you can sing. And if you can sing, you can sing harmonies.
Even if they are vocally out of your comfort zone, they are still much better than anything you could do with a harmonizer.

Also, harmonies in general don't have to be outstanding (sonically) to work.
That's not true of songs like the Everly Brothers or Simon & Garfunkel, though. But even there, one singer was always the weaker one.
© PG Music Forums